User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #121
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Still one of my favorite threads.

Yes, the fender mount spots changed on the 450 and 350 around this time. The earlier pattern was a level pattern when perpendicular to the forks, the later pattern was staggered when perpendicular to the forks. I've got one of each for my 350 if you would like to see comparison photos, just let me know, I'll dust of the camera and the parts...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #122
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
Still one of my favorite threads.

Yes, the fender mount spots changed on the 450 and 350 around this time. The earlier pattern was a level pattern when perpendicular to the forks, the later pattern was staggered when perpendicular to the forks.
Thanks for the offer killfile unfortunately I had to learn the hard way (just today) I had bought a NOS front fender to replace the ratty old one and now I have both mounting styles.

My new fender doesn't fit because the old one had the perpendicular mounts. Do you have a good perpendicular mount I could buy? Don't need the fender as I could drill out the rivets but my old mount has some weld on it from the PO.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #123
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
I don't think I have any for you. I'm a 350 rider now, sold off my 450s years ago. Since the 350s and 450s have different dimension forks. However, I can ask my local 450 friends and you might even have some luck from this character, who is selling off a lot of 450 parts, but not sure if there will be anything that will fit:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...p?f=12&t=12343

I actually know this from learning the hard way too, so I've got an extra staggered mounting bracket at the moment. I understand the 1973 K4 forks are better (on 350s at least) and I'm not after pedigree so I'm keeping the bracket in case a find the later front end.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #124
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 256
Great Link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
I get most of my parts locally, or my shop orders bits directly from Honda for me. When there is something I can't get, I turn to Ohio Cycle:
http://www.ohiocycle.com/

Enjoy! The 450s are fun!
That 450 is my all time favorite Honda.
When I was in high school, one of the kids bought that bike as a sophmore and was the envy of the rest of us 'Hodaka' budget riders!
As I best I can remember, it also was a 71' as well.

That link to the Honda parts is useful!
thanks for posting this.
My brother in Missouri is nursing a 1982 750 Honda and he will find this resource a great help.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #125
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 512
Where'd this thread end up?

I remember watching it a year or so ago, and today I actually searched for it. Are there some finished pictures, or a thread that talks about some problems that slowed you down I missed?

Thanks,

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #126
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

The rolling chassis is in the warm basement so I can see it every time I walk past it the motor is on the bench waiting for final reassembley (head needs to go together and get put on)

I seem to stall out midway with all my projects so this is not to unique for me the next time I touch any part of that bike I will be back in the build head hands and feet.

Meanwhile my snowbike is getting most of my spare time, riding and improving and constantly hogging the lift. I do hope to get back at it when the weather gets warmer to work in the garage and the work related project is over.

Thanks for spurring me on.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #127
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 512
Understood....

....I have a lot of the 'other things getting in the way' of an almost finished project too. Will keep an eye out for your return. whenever.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #128
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

An accident at work has me at home healing, now that I'm up and around more I decided it would be a good time to try and make some progress so I started polishing up the exhaust clamps and was surprised at how good of condition the chrome was once the schmootze was removed

And it's time to start reassembling the head (which is intimidating me) if anyone has any good reading about how to rebuild a torsion bar head please pass it on as it's been 2 years since I tore it apart

On disassembly every part got bagged and tagged but that doesn't seem to be helping at the moment.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #129
Buck McCann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Glad you're back!
Buck McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #130
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

I do have the Honda Service manual but I find it lacking in the reassembly, unfortunately I didn't take enough photos on disassembly and it leaves me struggling to understand the order of parts in the very beginning....

As soon as the valves are installed the order of the seals and bits. Micro fiches don't really show what goes 1st, 2nd etc. I should be able to struggle my way through with a lot of questions. So you Honda guys can maybe help me along here

the pic shows 2 styles of "valve guide seal caps" the one on the right is the stock one, metal ring with a rubber insert while the one on the left is more of a fibre with the rubber insert.

My assumption is that the fibre is a replacement for the metal type?

Next question is do these go on first or the actual valve seal?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #131
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,842
Progress!

I'm kinda happy to see that I'm not the only one that tears a bike to bits, picks at it painting and polishing and ordering parts, and finally starts putting it back together a year or two later.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #132
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

To add insult to injury, valve stem measures 2.29 mm larger than the valve seal, any ideas? Thinking I was shipped the wrong seals!

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #133
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Progress!

I'm kinda happy to see that I'm not the only one that tears a bike to bits, picks at it painting and polishing and ordering parts, and finally starts putting it back together a year or two later.
Ya, it really adds a new dimension to the puzzle doesn't it

If this was a conventional head like a KTM RFS it would be on the motor and timed.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #134
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

Most of the head building drama is over, I still have some cleaning up on the covers to do then install the head and set the valves and cam timing but I'm short the cam chain master link so.....

A local body shop wanted $800 to do the 2 tone paint job on my tank and it's just way to much money so I have come up with what I hope is a reasonable solution.

Being that I powder coated/ clear coated all the other tins I decided to try that route with the tank, here goes..... took it in to the body shop to have this dint pulled

For $85 they pulled the dint plus a smaller one on the other side, last winter I bought the newest style of body solder (higher melting point than the old lead solder)

So next I attempt to fill the repaired areas and powder coat, followed by decals then back to the body shop for clear coat (powder clear won't work with the decal)

This looks like a perfect recipe for disaster.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #135
anonny OP
What could go wrong?

I was never happy with a few pieces I had powder coated chrome but after some of the parts sat on the shelf for 2 years it appeared something ozzed on the so I tried polishing out the powder (which cause the dullness on the right. The parts got tossed into the powder striper bucket and we will go with plan B

So instead of chrome powder coat they will be polished and get a coat of clear powder. Did I mention I hate polishing? Here's a shot of the cam covers that hadn't got any treatment yet so the plan is the same .... Polish then clear coat.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re