Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 95
London to Cape Town Adv Ride

Hi Guys,

I invite you to come have a look at my blog that I have been running for the lead up to my big trip that starts from the day I arrive in London.
My tickets are booked my bike is packed and about to be loaded onto the ship.
Ill be riding my modified KTM 690R to Cape Town through West Africa.
I can hear you all saying "WHAT WEST AFRICA" what about Ebola!!!!
Yes this has been a concern. With 4 countries closing their borders Im running a slightly different route than normal.

Ill be heading down through Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal if possible? Mali, Burkina Faso, Nigeria and then south to DRC were Ill be doing the route from Kinshasa to Lubumbashi where Ill be catching up with a good mate that lives and works there.

The rest Im not to sure about as ive already done all the east side of Africa because ive worked there for 5 years as on Overland Driver were I took tourist from Cape Town to Cairo.

This trip has been planned for many years and I had tried to start it a couple years back but life got in the way of it!! But now its all sorted and everything is a go.

So here is the Link to the blog.

https://www.facebook.com/drcanafricanadventure?ref=hl

Im only doing it on FB because its going to be very hard to upload pictures and with FB its the easiest way. Plus my inReach log tracker I can post direct to my page so everyone can keep an eye on where i am.

So please pop over and have a look. I have posted on here before and would of liked to run a ride report here but i think its just going to be to hard. My other report is the quad biking in Antarctica when i was down there for the year. Link at bottom of post.

Look forward to seeing and hearing from you all.

Cheers guys

Regards

Patrick

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 95
Post taken directly from my blog page

Its only a month till I leave Australia for what I think will be my biggest adventure to date. As the days tick down to my departure I am working as hard as I can to save that little bit more for the trip.

I work as a contractor and I'm currently working on a large work site. Something that keeps popping up in conversation at lunch is my current trip to Africa. It is quite interesting to listen to other peoples opinion on my planed route and their first responses.

Why? Why travel to Africa? Why by motor bike? Why are you not taking a gun? Why, your going to get shot and the latest your going to get ebola. My immediate reply is Why not?.

I first traveled overseas at the age of 7 with my family because my father was posted to PNG with the Australia Army. I remember right back then the fun times I had hanging out with the local kids and not wanting to return to Australia 2 years later.

I then took my first solo trip at the age of 18 and ever since then I have been traveling around this magnificent world of ours.

In the early years I traveled to visit the best rock climbing destinations around the world and ended up living in Canada and the USA where I was able to climb some of the best and biggest cliffs around. I have always been up for an adventure and never been one to do things by halves.
Thats when it happened. The travel bug bit! I wanted to continue traveling. Now we all know it does cost money to travel. Some can do it on a lot less than others. Im defiantly in the second category but even being tight you cant travel for ever.
So with the travel bug still bitting at my heals I found ways to continue traveling.
In 2005 I started driving overland trucks. First up I did a season driving around Morocco. Still not content I found work driving around the Middle East and then Africa proper.

For a couple years I drove tourists from the southern most point of Africa to the most northern point of Africa. The more time I spent in Africa the more I fell in love with Africa.

In 2010 as South Africa was getting ready for the world cup soccer I was running an Overland trip for a Rock Climbing Expedition from Jordan to Cape Town. On this trip I met up with a bunch of Overlanders from all over Europe all heading down to Cape Town for the world cup. I was getting the truck ready to barge to Wadi Halfa in Aswan. My boss use to pay for the complete barge and then give me 20% of what ever I could get for extra vehicles. This is were I meet everyone in the picture below. And it was at the end of this trip I said I was going to do an overland trip by bike or 4x4 and it was going to be West Africa.
Its taken almost 5 years to get to this point but now Im here there is no turning back!! I have still traveled in the last 5 years. I've worked in Antarctica for a year with the Australian government and only recently drove another overland truck around South America for 6 months.

So this brings me back to the "WHY" why travel?

Why not travel. It is a life changer! I have experiences that I will hold close to my heart till I die. Ive made friends all over the world that I talk with on a regular basis and will be friends with till the very end. I met my girlfriend while traveling. I also know that 90% of people are genuinely friendly and will help out a stranger anywhere any time. This is why Im not concerned with traveling solo across West Africa and I know Ill have more friends and stories to tell at the end of it.

So if your reading this and your also asking the question why do it, do yourself a favour. Take the leap, book yourself that trip you have always wanted to do but been to afraid to take.

It might just change your life for the better.

https://www.facebook.com/drcanafricanadventure?ref=hl

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
Paul_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
subscribed!

have fun!
Paul_M is offline   Reply With Quote