User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Rich-in-GA OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
In helmet speakers vs wired ear buds?

I like riding while listening to music on my Iphoe. I have fitted ear buds that are wired with speakers.....The sound is decent but my ears get a bit numb/sore after hours of riding. I need a new helmet and I'm considering having speakers fitted into the helmet. Any help or suggestions on speakers hard wired into the helmet versus ear buds would be very much appreciated
Rich-in-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,765
I tried different ear buds and was never happy with sound attenuation, went to speakers with a boostaroo and foam plugs and I'm happy.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,504
I have BIGEAR custom molded earbuds and they are primo. All-day comfy vs. storebought because they are molded to your individual ears. Not cheap at $ 350 a pair, but worth it to me and most people that own them.

I also have a Bluetooth Sena Headset that is supposed to be best in class, with helmet speakers.. It sucks hugely for music, and is barely useful for voice. The technology for wireless isn't there yet, at least not in amplified power.

Earbuds are better than hardwired speakers in the lid because they act as wind/noise blockers as well.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
hatchetdan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
speakers

I got my helmet speakers off of ebay, 18 bucks and they work great! I also use a boostaroo.

hatchetdan screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 06:04 AM Reason: miss spelling
hatchetdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
i installed ear speakers in my helmet a few years ago. the install was easy and looked professional and was really dissapointed. the road noise competed with the mp3 noise. and i ended up going back to the ear buds.
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
I have BIGEAR custom molded earbuds and they are primo. All-day comfy vs. storebought because they are molded to your individual ears. Not cheap at $ 350 a pair, but worth it to me and most people that own them.

I also have a Bluetooth Sena Headset that is supposed to be best in class, with helmet speakers.. It sucks hugely for music, and is barely useful for voice. The technology for wireless isn't there yet, at least not in amplified power.

Earbuds are better than hardwired speakers in the lid because they act as wind/noise blockers as well.
Big ears plugged into sena earbud clamp and I couldn't disagree more. If anything the big ears are the weakness considering mine have lasted around 6 mos, and now need repair.
I find music Bluetooth through the sena, which does amplify, sounds better than wired to the iPhone. The big ears need some amplification.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
leonphelps
Rode TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,026
I got my earbuds at Wal-Mart for $19.99, then go deep in the ear canal and I can put my helmet on too. I think they were sony brand....rode all the way to Alaska and back with my SirisXM radio, no problems.....until I got to far up and lost the satellite signal.
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Bajatacoma
Why me?

Oddometer: 56
Several people on here recommended the JVC marshmallows and I've been happy with them. The foam seals well and they're comfortable for longer periods; they're also cheap enough that I won't cry when I inevitably snatch the cord out one day.
Bajatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,046
Considered in-helmet speakers... i'd need a few sets though; got a few helmets on the shelf.

For now I just use Skullcandy earbuds, ~$15 from target/walmart.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
sleak
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 98
Thumb EarInc iPlugz Custom-Molded

I don't know about BigEar, but my iPlugz are comfortable for as long as I need to wear them.

They're not cheap, but when my last set of Bose headphones fell apart (I fly a lot), it was worth it to get the custom set to wear both on the bike and in the air. I got an extra-short tail (18") and an extension; the short one works best under a helmet or with my iPhone in my top pocket on the plane, and the extension in case the in-flight movie's worth a damn. And, you can get any color you like, including mixed. (Mine are maize & blue, of course.)

2009 BMW R1200 GSA
"A goal without a plan is just a wish."
sleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,042
In Ear Monitors

Well I would recommend soft silicone custom molded in ear monitors. This style moves with your ear and jaw so you dont get that ear fatigue from having a hard monitor or plug style ear bud. The price range is from $300 to $1700 as there are many different styles. Some with single speakers in them and some with up to 14 drivers in them and built in crossovers for the true audiophile. And some have a built in microphone so you can blend the outside noise in a whatever volume you want. If you are interested PM and we can discuss or tell me where you are and I will tell you when one of my tours is coming through your town..
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Big ears plugged into sena earbud clamp and I couldn't disagree more. If anything the big ears are the weakness considering mine have lasted around 6 mos, and now need repair.
I find music Bluetooth through the sena, which does amplify, sounds better than wired to the iPhone. The big ears need some amplification.
So the Sena built-in headphone amp is decent? I'm thinking of going this route, but I've been skeptical about the quality of a) bluetooth stereo and b) the headphone amp.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
The Sena amp isn't bad and the speakers are bigger/thicker than average. (i have only used it for communication, but my riding buddy uses his for phone and music often.

But for me (I have dumbo ears), the helmet speakers rub on my ears and drive me crazy. So I got a pair of S-plugs (sort of like the Etymotic plugs but they sit deep in your ear) and like them alot for listening to music (on and off the bike). I did not go the route of molded earplugs as I had a set of Big Ears made have been disappointed with the fit.

Eventually, I am going to get the base unit replaced on the Sena and that should solve my communcation problems.

I have an Arai Profile helmet, btw.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,042
Hmmmmm

I looked into Big Ears since I had never heard of them before. And what I am not seeing is soft silicone being used for the molds. That is key !! That way they are nice and soft and give with your movements which allows for many hours of comfortable use.
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Soberman001
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Personally, I think in-helmet speaks are more convenient. I have the autocomm system and their speakers rest comfortably in the ear pockets and are always there. The cord is routed well since it only comes out of one side of the helmet. If you can find good soudning speakers then I would do that. Even when I don't listen to music, they speakers are always with me.

When I tried 4-5 different types of generic or molded ear plugs, they always seemed to dis-lodge when my helmet was put on. Then I would occasionally lose them.

Now, i never tried the really expensive molded units but for $200, I thought the cheaper ones were a rip off.
Soberman001 is offline   Reply With Quote