Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #16
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourPros View Post
I looked into Big Ears since I had never heard of them before. And what I am not seeing is soft silicone being used for the molds. That is key !! That way they are nice and soft and give with your movements which allows for many hours of comfortable use.
I'll agree on the SOFT being key.

I compare it to a glass stopper in a glass bottle in chemistry class. Works great when sealed but move it just a bit off and it's gone.

I had custom ones done 20 years ago and they were pretty hard and would break the seal if I moved the helmet or even my jaw. Can't count how many times was I riding long distances and trying to stick my finger up in the helmet to try and get it back into position

Finally tossed them. Since then I tried the do it yourself molds but again, too hard.

Went to in helmet speakers with foam earplugs, works for me.

Have you got any more info on yours
Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #17
Alaska Gal
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I really like my JVC marshmallows. They're comfortable, give decent sound and cheap enough I won't cry if I need to replace.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
If you don't

want to be going "huh" when your my age, get some of these http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx With these you block out the ambient noise and you can keep the music volume where you like.

I have tinnitus 24 hrs a day because I never wore hearing protection. I had the custom molds but found that my ears or canals changed in a couple years of use and they are useless now.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Yeah, I know some old racers who can't hear worth shit because of racing with no plugs.

I hear that if you loose or gain a fair amount of weight the inner ear changesa the custom won't fit. Maybe the super soft ones are more forgiving?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'll agree on the SOFT being key.

I compare it to a glass stopper in a glass bottle in chemistry class. Works great when sealed but move it just a bit off and it's gone.

I had custom ones done 20 years ago and they were pretty hard and would break the seal if I moved the helmet or even my jaw. Can't count how many times was I riding long distances and trying to stick my finger up in the helmet to try and get it back into position

Finally tossed them. Since then I tried the do it yourself molds but again, too hard.

Went to in helmet speakers with foam earplugs, works for me.

Have you got any more info on yours

Well if it has been 20 years I have to say that you would be shocked at how they are now. I have only seen them pop out when moving jaw when they were not made right. When we do impressions we have you open and close your mouth as well as yawn and talk. This way while it sets it has worked into every aspect. Anyways yes you can now have them in a soft silicone type gel with up to 4 drivers in them. Just to be clear these are not $100 ear buds but rather a very serious custom fit set of in ear monitors. Price ranges from $350 to $1700. $350 being he average for what a rider wants and needs. They also give you 25db of noise suppression as a plug
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Helmet speakers

Got me a set of the J&M in helmet speakers w/the boom mike. Easy install and I run my I-pod and cell phone through the J&M Intergrater IV. The sound is freakin' great. The only secret is to wear some soft foam earplugs so you don't have to keep turning up the volume.
I tried the buds they sucked. The in helmet speakers really do the job for me. Don't do a ton of talking on the phone while riding but I wanted the convenience of being able to answer the phone without digging through a jacket pocket and getting the helmet off to talk.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
Crash-n-Skid
WileeeCoyote

Oddometer: 33
FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier

Got a FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier and Tork X2 Helmet Speakers. The speakers are fine but the amp gave out after about 3 weeks. Went from working fine to giving out mostly just hiss. Luckily it failed within Amazon's return period. I will try a Boosteroo next.
Crash-n-Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #23
Macho Man2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Laugh Sena

I have the Sena speakers in my helmets my first was in a Nolan 102 and now I just installed the Sena speakers in my new Nolan N90. The sound Quality for my mp3 player is excellent and I can also use my phone to make and receive calls where I can hear and the person who I am talking to has no idea that I'm riding my bike. Before my Sena I would use ear buds where the sound was very good but after a while the ear buds would begin to make my ears hurt. I tell you IMHO you can't beat the Sena.

Bill
Macho Man2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #24
Mr Methane
Bundy anyone?

Oddometer: 36
Thumb Ear Buds

I have a set of the Etymotic ER6i's and they are simply magic.

They offer about 35-40db of isolation which means when I'm rocking along to the iPhone, the sound level is on about a 1/4 which is not destroying what hearing I have left..... They fit in your ear canal so they are comfortable also.

In saying that though, you can still hear emergency vehicles and alike.

I paid about $160 when they'd just come out but you can find them now for about $90.

You wont be disappointed.

Cheers,

MM
Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #25
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
I prefer Helmet speakers but my experience is often you need an amp to boost the vol especially with ear plugs.

This already has an amp and so much more.

But I use an aux amp on this.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #26
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,402
Several years ago I tried helmet speakers and did not like the results. I wasn't happy with the sound quality and the fact that I still needed to use earplugs and add an amplifier.

A few things I should mention about custom molded in-ear-monitors or iems for short. First is the ear impression. A good impression is the key. Find a quality audiologist to get your impressions. If you get a good fit at the first attempt that's great but don't be surprised if you receive your custom molded iems and have to send them back for a remold and need to get second impressions because they don't fit right. Second is isolation. Don't be surprised if your "universal" isolating iems offer more isolation than your new custom molded iems. Often times a well fit universal will have more isolation than custom fit iems. Lastly is the longevity of custom fit iems. Our ear canals are constantly changing until the day we die. This means in 3-5 years your custom iems won't fit/seal/isolate as they did when you first bought them. At this point you will have to repeat the process over again by revisiting an audiologist for new ear impressions and "reshelling" your iems.

I'm not criticizing custom iems rather I just wanted to make a few comments about them should you decide to go that route. Generally they are highly regarded in audio communities.

All that said, under a helmet, it's hard to beat the isolation, comfort, no fuss and affordable Etymotic er-6i.

An excellent guide on canalphones can be found here, http://www.head-fi.org/t/310723/fyi-...4#post_3999839

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #27
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Thumb +1 on Sena with speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho Man2 View Post
I have the Sena speakers in my helmets my first was in a Nolan 102 and now I just installed the Sena speakers in my new Nolan N90. The sound Quality for my mp3 player is excellent and I can also use my phone to make and receive calls where I can hear and the person who I am talking to has no idea that I'm riding my bike. Before my Sena I would use ear buds where the sound was very good but after a while the ear buds would begin to make my ears hurt. I tell you IMHO you can't beat the Sena.

Bill
+1 on Sena with speakers. I tried a few different ear buds then I built my own in-helmet speakers from a Sony headset. I wanted helmet-helmet comm so I bought Sena. I ride at speed with soft earplugs and the Sena still sounds very good.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #28
turdpolisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I used to suffer from the same sore ears. Considered helmet speakers but dislike single function things. End up buying Bose In ear mobile headset. Most comfortable ever! Low profile for in helmet use, have used them for hours of travels, miles of hiking and of course many thousand miles on my scoot(s). Highly recommend.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...=mie2i_headset
turdpolisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,047
I have pretty picky ears. I ride with Howard Leight Max-Lite earplugs. I've tried various earbuds over the years (even had some custom molded) only to find it painful when putting my helmet on and off, not to mention dealing with the cords.

I had a starcom communicator with in-helmet speakers for awhile, I would rate the sound quality and volume a 5 out of 10.

Now I ride with a Scala Cardo G4 with in-helmet speakers, I would rate the sound quality and volume a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. Having speakers in the helmet - especially with a wireless/bluetooth system, really is liberating.
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #30
Army scope jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
want to be going "huh" when your my age, get some of these http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx With these you block out the ambient noise and you can keep the music volume where you like.

I have tinnitus 24 hrs a day because I never wore hearing protection. I had the custom molds but found that my ears or canals changed in a couple years of use and they are useless now.

Plus 1 on these. Best 70 USD spent and fairly plentiful on Ebay.
Army scope jockey is offline   Reply With Quote