Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #31
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
i bought a Shoei helmet on this forum long time ago with j&m speakers and mike installed. bought the portable amp/switcher thing for it and the sound was great if i was not riding the bike. sounded liked 2 cheap transistor radios taped to my ears cranked up really loud to hear over the wind and bike noise. got rid of those pronto and replaced them with some custom molded plugs from Plugup.com.

while probably not the best out there, they are a huge improvement. cut the exterior noise down tremendously and i frequently use them with power tools. i would go with any quality custom molded product that uses soft material and good drivers. Pricey but worth every buck, and my backups are Etymolics with better foam inserts but i rarely use them. also have an Ijet ipod remote, so the ipod goes in the inner jacket pocket with a short cord. the remote part is big enough to use with gloves on.

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #32
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
has anyone used helmets with their own speakers set up for music? i mean like the nolan or schuberth systems, helmets with off-the-shelf speaker systems that fit straight in. but not necessarily bluetooth
Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #33
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
want to be going "huh" when your my age, get some of these http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx With these you block out the ambient noise and you can keep the music volume where you like.

I have tinnitus 24 hrs a day because I never wore hearing protection. I had the custom molds but found that my ears or canals changed in a couple years of use and they are useless now.
I use these with a Jabra BT3030 blue tooth. The Iphone sits in the ram mount and the bluetooth and wires are under my jacket.

I got 3 years of commuting out of my first ER6i (old plug style) and the Jabra still gives me 8is hours of music.

+1 on the tinitus
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #34
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
earbuds

I use "Koss® 151572 Porta Pro Earbud Stereophones", the only thing that works!! They are cheap too. I have tried in helmet speakers, which were worthless, and about any other reasonably priced option, with sad results. I use those yellow ear plugs for foam replacement, also cheap, and punch holes through them.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Tried speakers, went back

+ 1 on the etymotic best I've found. Speakers may be more convenient than occasionally having to frustratingly reach up inside your helmet or occassionaly stepping on em, but I keep going back to buds.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #36
BoonekaFa
n00bile misADVenture

Oddometer: 73
Helmet speakers are good for awhile, work better (comfort wise) wrapped with sheer nylon covers.. but eventually get staticky connections.. and never quite loud enough over 70mph.. I bought a pair of sony's with the ear clips and they work awesome! paid 10$ at Freds.. went back and bought a back up set.. still in the package after over a years useage.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #37
Superfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I use the Etymotic ER6i ear buds with a Amplirider by Electric-avenues. But the thing that makes it all work is a "Silky Helmet Liner". Covers the glasses and ER6i buds and the helmet slips right on. I've used this setup on many 10 -12 hour days with no discomfort.

1983 V65 Magna
1984 700cc Magna
1982 V45 Sabre (Project)
Superfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #38
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Er6

After reading all the hype i bought a er6 , most uncomfortable and crappy sound i ever put in my ears
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #39
Tazer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ear buds / Good -Bad

Now I'm confused, I too was reading all the hype of the Etymotic ER6i ear buds they seemed the be the most mentioned and prefered brand.
I am currently trying to decide between blue tooth or wired / ear buds or speakers There are many choices and I'm sure there is not one brand or type that works best for everyone
One of the questions I have is what type of ipod or mp3 or other device are you using to get the good or bad results you are receiving from the type of speaker or ear bud you are using ?
I see there are several different amplifiers to choose from are there any specific combinations that seems to work best ?
I also suffer from tinnitus and the music can help ease the constant sound in your head that you hear over even while riding
Thanks
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #40
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Now I'm confused, I too was reading all the hype of the Etymotic ER6i ear buds they seemed the be the most mentioned and prefered brand.
I am currently trying to decide between blue tooth or wired / ear buds or speakers There are many choices and I'm sure there is not one brand or type that works best for everyone
One of the questions I have is what type of ipod or mp3 or other device are you using to get the good or bad results you are receiving from the type of speaker or ear bud you are using ?
I see there are several different amplifiers to choose from are there any specific combinations that seems to work best ?
I also suffer from tinnitus and the music can help ease the constant sound in your head that you hear over even while riding
Thanks
If you use an ear bud or in-ear-monitor you won't need an amplifier, they are very efficient. My source is a Zumo. Before that it was a Creative Zen mp3 player. Etymotic er-6i are what I've been using for many years.

Edit: I tried all the options you mentioned, helmet speakers/bluetooth/wired. The above works best for me. Experiment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur

NJ Moto screwed with this post 10-01-2011 at 02:30 PM
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #41
Tazer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for your input, It could get expensive experimenting with all the combinations but that seems to be the only way to get the right equipment to suit each individual.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #42
adv365
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Poor Man's Custom Molded Earbuds

Go to TJ Maxx and buy some low-profile earbuds (or drop a bit more coin on some Skull Candy buds or whatever you like). They're usually around 8 bucks. They come with three different sizes of silicone fittings to fit whatever size ear canal you have. Then walk next door in the strip mall to Big 5, Dick's, Sports Authority or whatever and buy the six pack of silicone ear plugs made for swimmers.

When you're ready to ride, shove the earbuds in, then use a silicone earplug to mold all the way around the earbud and your ear. Works for me. Holds my earbuds in and blocks external noise.

I only use this method when I know I have a long ride ahead where I'll pull my helmet off a limited amount.

Someday, I'll step up to the actual custom molded earbuds, but for now, my poor man's method has worked for me and if I completely trash any element of it, I'm out $10.
adv365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #43
AA5IB
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Got mine from Bob Weis. Only regret is I didn't get them sooner. Run Zumo 550 w/XM and radar detector through a MixIt 2.

http://www.earplugco.com/
'09 R1200 HP2 Sport
www.randyeads.com
"I don't know where we're going, but we're makin' good time." (Stacy Dean Campbell, "Makin' Good Time")
AA5IB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #44
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,191
The er6i's seem to be a bit more than $70 on ebay atm.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #45
UncaBuddha
Well, Okay then.

Oddometer: 196
I use a pair of Radio Shack titanium over the head headphones that I chopped and velcroed into the depressions in my Multitec. Have to use a Boostaroo since the RS phones have a LOT of bass. THEN, since the Boostaroo has connections for two headsets, I plug in my cheap sony earbuds and stick them in and run music to BOTH systems (speakers and earbuds)....
'12 Super Tenere, '07 Wee
Lemond Maillot Jeune, Soma DoubleCross, Surly Karate Monkey, Motobecane Ti Fly(29ers ROCK)
UncaBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote