Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #46
soapyride
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I use the Tork Xpro helmet speaker I find that it still allows me to hear the road and the sounds around me, they stay in my helmet when I'm done riding, Unlike ear buds that can fall out when your riding as well as every time you take off your helmet. I found the xpros to be loud - but not loud that it drives you nuts with fighting over the road noise and traffic over the music.

I have had a chance to try the Sena SMH-10 in my full face helmet and I have to say that they work great if I can fit the xpro helmet speakers into the Sena headset.
soapyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #47
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
spealers/plugs

I use ear plugs from Koss;http://www.koss.com/en/products/head...-Ear_Headphone , if I am listening to music. My Scala Q2 has speakes, so some times I am using both. The Koss plugs are no more uncomfortable then hearing protection plugs. I just got a Scala half helmet kit, so now I will get coms and music from the plugs, or if I want can plug in the speakes as now there is a jack instead of the speakers being hard wired.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #48
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-in-GA View Post
I like riding while listening to music on my Iphoe. I have fitted ear buds that are wired with speakers.....The sound is decent but my ears get a bit numb/sore after hours of riding. I need a new helmet and I'm considering having speakers fitted into the helmet. Any help or suggestions on speakers hard wired into the helmet versus ear buds would be very much appreciated
I went with earbuds (Entymotic MC-5s, if I remember correctly) and they have foam inserts. I absolutely love them! I went with earbuds because they blocked more of the wind noise/buffeting coming off my windshield.

Now I have a taller windshield, though, and it's dead quiet, so I'm considering in-helmet speakers, also. Which means I'm interested in this thread and everyone's responses.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #49
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I started with helmet speakers in the early 90s, cannibalizing Radio Shack and Sony headphones for the elements. I always used a car radio in the tank bag, so power was never a problem. Of course I always used EAR foam ear plugs as well.

About six years ago I switched to Etymotic ER6i's, then later HF5's. Loved the audio quality. Never had a problem but my days were usually 400 miles or less. At the end of the day I wasn't in pain, but I did want the things out of my ears. This was always behind a noise sport-touring windscreen.

Last month a took a 4500 mile trip on my DR650 over 2 weeks using the HF5s. By the time I got back, at the end of 2x 650 mile days, my ears were raw inside and tender. This was using the silicone triple tips. The extended exposure to the wind noise behind the mid-height aftermarket shield and a Shoei Neotec modular also made my ears ring a bit at the end of each day.

Maybe I should try the foam tips instead if I'm going to leave them in for more than 4 hours at a time.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #50
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Someone mentioned, earlier, Sony earbuds purchased from Walmart. I too bought Sony earbuds at Wally a few years ago. They have a battery-powered 'noise cancellation mode which supposedly inserts 'white noise' into the system. Not sure what or how, but the thing works very well and boosts the audio volume of the music as well.

The buds fit my ears well, they are comfortable and provide decent sound.

I've had in-helmet speakers in a previous helmet, and as man posters have mentioned, the sound and noice is terrible. Main problem is, to get them to fit in the helmet and not press your ear and cause pain, there has to be a cavity/opening between your ear and the speaker. And that's where the dreaded wind noise comes in. No fun.

Ear buds are the way to go. HOw much you want to spend is up to you, but I can attest that you don't have to spend $75 to get comfortable, decent audio when on your bike.

Good luck!
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote