User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #16
markwrich1
Going South

Oddometer: 86
DR650 Nose Dive

Saw Graeme down at Cosi's and he told me about this ride but excellent to see it in photographic form. We did that Israelite track in April. There weren't any skid demons but the sand was exceedingly deep and soft on the track into Israelite and I had a few lie downs.
I'd be interested in the gps record of the track you used to get to the border if it's available

Mark Rich

A - I met you on a ride out to that Denmark brewery with John McK, we went via Redmond Forest and there was plenty of the skid demon that day !!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #17
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Several 4wd vehicles have been lost on these beaches because sand washes over the seaweed hiding the hazard below.
That's quite a sneaky trick. How deep to these seaweed pits get? Have you ever dropped into one?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Thumb Pic's

Hi "A", what vintage are the last pic's of the twin's, thanks for taking the time to do your RR, especially the CSR.
Attached is a GPX of those tracks off the beach that you were talking about, any chance of a few more pic's and stories from some of your earlier rides.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Israelite Bay to Bilbunya Dunes.gpx (42.6 KB, 51 views)
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #19
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 271
Great Ride! Thanks for sharing!

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Good stuff

Truly a First Class RR. PIX leave me wanting more & your writing telling me why.

Glad this great RR ended w/ no serious injuries or bike damage. Your group seem very compatible together & on their selected scoots.
About how much fuel was carried on each bike? If I missed this in the beginning am sorry, but just could not wait to get started.

Is this ride open to anyone in the area or must a permit/toll be had/

Would a knobbied Ural do well on this trip?

Again good job all the way around & most thanks for the editing time to pull it all together for us.

Wolfgang55 screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 01:36 PM
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
"A" OP
numbum

Oddometer: 321
Answers to questions.

Gidday fellas,
Mark, Fred has the GPS info, I should be able to get it. Sundowner, Ive managed to skim over the seawead traps so not sure of their depth but judging by what's on the surface I'd imagine anywhere from 6 inches to several feet in the old medieval metric language. Den, thanks for the GPX. The twins were early eighties vintage- 1983 R80ST,the other is a 100CS engine in a modded R65 frame with all sorts of other mods built in 1985 for the "Wynns Safari" that year.
Wolfgang, we carried enough fuel for a range of a bit over 400 km plus extra for safety. The DR ~35 L, others a bit less than 30. No permits or tolls etc required. I think you would have your work cut out with a Ural, but with knobs and the right attitude anything is possible!
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #22
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,301

love it!

(had a poke around the edges of that area a couple of years back... deffinately on the list of places to go back to and do properly...)

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 604
Great ride report 'A'- it's an interesting story and well written. Good pictures too. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #24
tncpowell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Zeus

Hi. How do you find that Zeus helmet? Im in the market for a new one and have been thinking about them. Are they noisy on the road? Great trip to by the way! Im a Barker boy just getting into trailbike riding, so this trip is on my to do list! have you guys checked out Lindsay national park area before?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #25
"A" OP
numbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncpowell View Post
Hi. How do you find that Zeus helmet? Im in the market for a new one and have been thinking about them. Are they noisy on the road? Great trip to by the way! Im a Barker boy just getting into trailbike riding, so this trip is on my to do list! have you guys checked out Lindsay national park area before?

Thanks!
Pretty happy with the Zeus helmet. Weight is low enough and and I don't find the noise offensive on the road. I do use ear plugs then however.
I havn't really done much riding in the Mt. Lindsay area. I think you will enjoy trail riding, lots of opportunities around here.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #26
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 325
Great story and pictures to go along. These words could not be more true:

"There have been times in the past when I haven’t stopped for photos and later regretted it because those opportunities didn’t appear again. Motorcycling and photography have an uneasy relationship as they seem mutually exclusive when the imperative for me is inevitably to make time."
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #27
"A" OP
numbum

Thanks for the positve feedback everybody
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
jimkat
jim

Oddometer: 613
Another great report "A"
I'd be intersested to know how the TT350 went on the trip?
Fuel wise and reliability?
I have one that I would like to use for some longer rides.
regards.
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #29
"A" OP
numbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkat View Post
Another great report "A"
I'd be intersested to know how the TT350 went on the trip?
Fuel wise and reliability?
I have one that I would like to use for some longer rides.
regards.
My TT350 is a 1994 model. It had only 5000K on the clock at the start of the trip. It sucked the fuel a bit at 100kph (std gearing) getting worse economy than Freds TE610 fuel injected Husky.That gets 20 plus kpl at those speeds. When the speed got slower in the 4wd tracks the TT equalled or bettered the others. Iv'e since bought some higher gearing (48 rear and a 14 and 15 tooth front ) to experiment with for this sort of riding.
It did develop an oil leak when the right side engine cover gasket sucked in a little just in front of the decompression lever. Looked like an assembly issue from the factory 16 years ago! That's all so I reckon its a reliable machine.
Cheers
A
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #30
kano650
more cowbell

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
My TT350 is a 1994 model. It had only 5000K on the clock at the start of the trip. It sucked the fuel a bit at 100kph (std gearing) getting worse economy than Freds TE610 fuel injected Husky.That gets 20 plus kpl at those speeds. When the speed got slower in the 4wd tracks the TT equalled or bettered the others. Iv'e since bought some higher gearing (48 rear and a 14 and 15 tooth front ) to experiment with for this sort of riding.
It did develop an oil leak when the right side engine cover gasket sucked in a little just in front of the decompression lever. Looked like an assembly issue from the factory 16 years ago! That's all so I reckon its a reliable machine.
Cheers
A
Great report mate. Gonna have to put this one on the Must Do list. Why did you choose the little TT when you had the X in the stable?
kano650 is online now   Reply With Quote