User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Ball of Dung ride report

OK, I'm back, and now the whole sorry story can be told.

Adventure bike: 1970 Honda SL350 with a racing engine. Buff Harsh at Todd Henning Racing did all the heavy lifting, I did the rest: head ported, cylinders bored to 362cc, high compression pistons, back-cut valves, megacycle TT grind cam, 34mm Mikuni VM's with K&N filters, 1-1/2" exhaust with Supertrapp resonators. Hi-flow petcock, electronic ignition, electronic rectifier/regulator module, Dyna coils, teflon cam chain slipper, yada yada. Stock CB350 gearing is 16/36, CL350 is 16/38, SL350 is 16/40 early models, 16/42 later models. This bike is geared 15/36, so it's between a stock CL & Stock early SL.

Added some mild steel brackets to keep the saddlebags out of the spokes:

Saddlebags are repurposed doggie packs.

Perfect fit!

These and a duffle on the back should be enough for all my gear.

The gear:

6' 8" 4wt. 3-piece w/ extra tip, flies, disreputable hat. Streams are likely swollen with hurricane run-off, but I'm not willing to take the chance of not having tackle.

Cookin stuff; water, gas, stove, dish, cup, utensils.

Utensils are fancy engraved, the fork has F.S. indicating "For Steak", spoon is engraved F.S. "For Soup" and the knife, cause this is Pennsylvania.

Sleepin stuff.

A bag of toiletries, TP, book, spare flashlights, first aid kit and snakebite kit. If I fall off the bike, bounce down the side of a mountain, and land in a den of rattlesnakes, I should be pretty well covered.

Also packed clothes and food.

That's a close-up of the screen of my GPS. It's one of those real fancy ones, with lotsa buttons to press.

Loaded up and ready for an Adventure!

But wait - there's one thing I've overlooked. With all this soft luggage, there's no way to lock up all my valuables.

The most elegant solutions are usually the most simple

Gotta be something laying around here that will work......

- got it!

Well, I don't think anyone could get much more simple than this. Gear: protected. Added bonus: no more tailgaters!

Ready to ride!!

Next: Trouble in Paradise.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

On the old concrete bridge over Cooks Creek. Creek is really high after the storm. Bridge was built in 1913, same year Henry Ford got the assembly line worked out for the Model T. Bridge was doomed to obsolesence from the start.

Cement factory.

Delaware River is really high & mighty today.

Delaware Water Gap, Mt. Tammany on New Jersey side.

Mt. Minsi on Pennsylvania side.

In town of Delaware Water Gap, this Church serves Appalachian Trail Hikers. AT end-to-enders report that Pennsylvania is by far the rockiest hike on the trail that stretches from Georgia to Maine. That's yet another quality where Pennsylvania has those other states beat.

...and this one appears to be a private residence. Nice windows for a house, ennit?

North of Stroudsburg, bike started running bad. Won't run at all with the headlight on, with the headlight off it's running poorly. Not getting enough juice? A short to ground? Bad harness? Stator fried? Only one thing to do...

Find a shady spot in a park and start wrenching. Found one loose power connection in the headlight bucket. That wasn't it. Ate some cheeseybread. Found something hot maybe touching a ground. Nope. Had some raisins. Checked the stator connections, and there it was. Cold factory solder joint on a connector pin broke loose, wire came off. That'll do it. Got out the leatherman tool and fixt it good.
Works, let the adventure resume!

Next: A shrine is disappears.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
BeezaBoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
cool.
lookin forward to the rest...
BeezaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,635
Hahaha, I'm enjoying this one.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

The site where the fabled Henryville House once stood along the Brodhead. The nations first, and once foremost, flyfishing hotel was built in 1835, and hosted the greatest sportsmen and women of the day. Joseph Jefferson thought of Rip Van Winkle while fishing here. Grover Cleveland was his fishing buddy. John Taintor Foote would pass the summers here writing and fishing. He wrote "The Wedding Gift", a novella about a couple on a flyfishing vacation, some years after his own flyfishing wedding spent at Henryville House. Teddy Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchott were fondly remembered for their skill with a flyrod while here, while Calvin Coolidge was not, for having to resort to earthworms. Annie Oakley and Buffalo Bill came to fish, and entertained their fellow guests with feats of marksmanship on the front lawn. George La Branche, author of one of my favorite books "The Dry Fly inFast Water" developed his theories here. I can go on and on, but alas, Henryville House cannot.
Now, parts of the Brodhead has been channelized for flood control. Part of it runs between a highway and a golf course. Part of it flows past a miniature ski slope attraction. An otherwise promising section through a gorge and in a park, has a sewage treatment plant discharging warm foul-smelling water into it. Other sections are stocked and privately owned by flyfishing clubs who feel they are somehow carring on the noble tradition.

But trust me, I know what I'm doing. We're heading for a remote feeder stream. You'll forgive me if I don't name the stream. Lets move on.

As if there were any other way.

Interesting little chapel with unusual detailing with the windows and butresses. Stained glass looks like a new addition.

Friendly folks at the filling station. Gassed and ready to continue!

Next: Pretzel Logic.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

Thanks, guys! Glad you're enjoying the ride.

Pretzel delivery truck at the Pretzel Factory! Pennsylvania is the top pretzel producer in the US of A.

Sign on truck says "Be gentle with me, I'm old" Ha ha, that's what she said!

Pretzel assembly area behind the glass. The kid is happy cause he just made a pretzel out of blue play-dough. I told him it was OK to eat it, then his mom yelled at me and made me cry.

Pretzel crumbles are excellent pack food - they're already broken! I chose the honey mustard onion pretzel crumbles.

Lots of soft pretzel varieties, too. This is only half the display case. I got a regular salty soft pretzel.

They even have a GS training bike!

Things are a little twisted here, time to roll!

Cresco Train Station.

Cool Methodist Church. Looks very stern. I notice across the street...

This nice barn - can you see what caught my eye?? Let me zoom in on it....

Timberdoodle weathervane! Awesome!

A nice looking store.

The Adoration of the Red Honda.

Arf.

Enough fooling around.
Next: Into the Woods
Old 09-02-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
Mullet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Good job, you have me laughing this morning. Keep it up.
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 AM   #8
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

Thanks! Rest of the report is coming up!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #9
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

Enough of traffic: USGS quads show every dirt track in the state. Time to take advantage of the hours the USGS put in.

If you didn't know where it was, you'd never see the entrance to this road from the state highway.

Forest road with a view.

Nice little forest stream. These little streams run cold and usually hold wild little brook trout. They are fun to fish because they are challenging, but fish in these little streams are sized appropriate to the stream, unless you find a deep wide pool, where monsters lurk in the chilly depths.

Found a nice campsite; flat and smooth ground, a table, even a firepit with firewood! A bit fancy-schmancy metro-sexual for my taste, besides, some Girl Scouts, or Beemerweenies, might come along who will feel safe and comfy at this improved campsite.

I enjoy some honey mustard onion pretzel crumbles and decide to ride off in search of some Wildlife Photography instead.

Next: Savage denizens of the forest.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

First forest creature I find is this fierce beast:

Oh sure, he's yellow and fuzzy now, but don't be fooled; he'll grow up to be a Dagger Moth!

American Millipede. I know what you're thinking, "It's so cute I just want to pick it up and hold it!" But better not try it! This fearsome predator can release a liquid that will leave a stain! Yikes!

Ewww - dude - look what you stepped in!

And you thought your job sucks!

Dung beetles are found on every continent except Antartica. The reason their unique ecological niche was available is really quite simple: none of the other bugs wanted the job.

Dung Beetles are pretty big for their size, and they push backwards so they aren't watching where they're going. The ones I feel for are the smaller insects like ants and springtails that are gonna get run over by this thing.

One can imagine some poor ant returning to her nest:

"Yo, girl, you smell like crap! What the hell happened to you?"

"You're not gonna believe this, but there I was skittering around the forest floor, foraging like I always do, when all of a sudden from out of nowhere this giant ball of poop came and rolled right over me!"

"Oh I believe it; same thing happened to my sister once."

Next: A nice place to camp.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Excellent!

More please. I'm just getting to know that area.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

Thanks!

Enjoy the area, there are wonderful roads to ride and treasures around every bend!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
I am enjoying it. Every road I find seems better than the last. Planning on moving down that way next spring. Can't wait to get the DR down there next weekend and try out some of the seasonal roads I passed by in the Delaware State Forest last weekend.
You're story telling is ...

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
HamboneSlim OP
ಠ_ಠ

Found a nice spot to camp:

Roads getting a little rocky at this point, but best of all, I only fell off the bike twice while getting here!

Water's pretty high, and a lot of blow downs, but we'll try some fishing in the morning.

Then something odd occurs - I hear a weird whining steady engine noise. WTF could this be??

Then I see it high above the trees:

????? Let's zoom in and get a better look:

Now I'm mad because the zoom is maxed out, and I still can't see the motor. Sounds like some kind of lawn mower or boxer engine.

By now it's getting late, so I set up camp:

The stream whispers past my feet while the tree crickets drone a drowsy song, and I'm grateful to be afforded such luxury as I drift into soft and easy sleep.

Up with the first light of dawn, and the little Svea stove quickly provides a cup of cowboy coffee and some oatmeal with turbinado sugar. The Svea has never let me down. I bought it with paper route money when I was a lad & was in the CAP, and we did a lot of winter camping & search and rescue operations. It's 40 years old now, and works just as well as when I first bought it.

Next: Why I can't catch a fish
Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,643
Best RR I've seen in a long time, great bike, great pics, great writing, thanks for sharing this, Ham.