User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Knobster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Street legal KX 500

Please respond if you know the answer. I have an opportunity to pick a KX500. Can it be street legalized in Illinois? (I'm well aware that this is insane)
I'm cool with the baja designs stuff...Will it work on the KX? the website only shows KLX's.
I know I need a horn, mirror, brake light..turn signals? in my state?.

Thanks, Cheer's,

Tom.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobster View Post
Please respond if you know the answer. I have an opportunity to pick a KX500. Can it be street legalized in Illinois? (I'm well aware that this is insane)
I'm cool with the baja designs stuff...Will it work on the KX? the website only shows KLX's.
I know I need a horn, mirror, brake light..turn signals? in my state?.

Thanks, Cheer's,

Tom.
Get the VIN from the seller, call the DMV and ask them if the number is good for street operation/registration.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Knobster OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
Get the VIN from the seller, call the DMV and ask them if the number is good for street operation/registration.

Mike
I'm thinkin' that would raise a red flag. the # may turn up competition only.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,318
well they are gonna get the number anyways.

ask this question over in thumpers..thats where the dirt bikes are I am sure somebody there can help
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Easiest way is to pick up a roached out, crashed street bike. Your next move is to file a form that states that you have installed the KX 500 motor into the street bike. Now before you freak out about how that's impossible, you have to understand that you are just going to cut out that portion of the street legal bikes frame with the VIN on it (about 1-1/2" x 3") and slide the whole KX 500 underneath it, couple of tack welds and you are there. Voila, you now have a brand x streetbike with a KX 500 motor and running gear!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
...cut out that portion of the street legal bikes frame with the VIN on it (about 1-1/2" x 3") and slide the whole KX 500 underneath it, couple of tack welds and you are there. Voila, you now have a brand x streetbike with a KX 500 motor and running gear!
I don't know about this but I have done a truck build out of multiple VINs (note my username, IH scout and Willys wagon). Oddly enough, when I informed the DMV of what I was doing and inquired as to which VIN to use, I was told "what it looks like". Ie the body VIN, not the chassis VIN. Obviously a bike doesn't have body VIN, generally just frame and engine are serialized.

Doing the "cut and weld" above seems sketchy at best to me. There may be "chances" in the future to explain exactly what alterations were performed if involved in a crash, or even a suspicious cop sees it.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
It'll be the same as for any other MX bike in your state. Its easy enough to bolt lights and stuff to the KX. Finding a stator to power them might be tricky as its been out of production for a while. E-line used to make a 200w external stator for that bike that worked really well. There are probably a few internal options that'll do somewhere around 50w. Folks have even been known to run lights off a battery to pass a DMV test if you just want the plate, but don't plan to ride on the street or at night.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
lemieuxmc
Banned

The cut and weld isn't a problem as long as you have the documentation of the donor bikes. I.E. the title in your name of the original dirt bike that has been marked "dismantled" and the "statement of facts" that you installed engine #KX500Y into street bike X.

"What's it look like?" Sure sounds like bullshit to me, what do they do if you show up with a 67 VW pan with a Porsche 935 Turbo plastic body kit on it?

The VIN is the definitive identifying characteristic. If your car is stolen and all the police find afterward is a six inch chunk of steel with the VIN plate on it, that's a successfully recovered vehicle! Most parts and assemblies are not indexed to the individual vehicles VIN and therefore are untraceable... kind of like cash!

If someone is convicted of drug dealing, why doesn't the State ask him how he got the cash to pay the fine?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Re:kx5

Find out first hand,by asking your DMV......There's a document here in IN for that purpose,called 'Change of Body Affidavit",that I used for my XR400R and KX500.....
Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
lemieuxmc
Banned

DO NOT ask your DMV how to make a dirt bike street legal.

Ask them how to fill out the forms to document that you are replacing the engine on your street legal bike.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Knobster OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Simons View Post
Find out first hand,by asking your DMV......There's a document here in IN for that purpose,called 'Change of Body Affidavit",that I used for my XR400R and KX500.....
Actually, the best dmv in the state is in Clinton Il. Just down the road. These ladies like their job and saved me $ in the past, I'll start there. So,,,,Is your KX "on the street?"
Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Here in Texas we just have to get a form saying it passes inspection and then you can turn it from a OHV to a normal title.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 872
Could be an awesome Motard, after you get your VIN straightened out.

Go online and start memorizing the bus schedule in you area. I have a feeling you license are history.
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Get someone to do it for you in Michigan and make legal here, we are incredibly lenient. Take it back to Illinois with a legal street title...voila!
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
..."What's it look like?" Sure sounds like bullshit to me...
It may sure sound like it to you but I don't make up bullshit stories.

For various reasons, I would not cut out the VIN from one vehicle and weld it onto another in an attempt to alter the VIN of that second vehicle in any manner. I try to not give the "law" justification to mess with me any more than they can, that's why I actually asked what I should do when I was faced with two titles and a single vehicle built from the former vehicles listed on those titles. At the time I thought I might have to get a new VIN for it.

I would be surprised if there is a legal manner in which to obscure an existing VIN with another vehicle's VIN, but I certainly could be wrong.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote