User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Arindia556 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Purchasing a bike in Mongolia

I have been planning a trip to ride from Ulaanbaatur to Almaty on a new Chinese motorcycle purchased in UB. But the registration seems to be a major sticking point. I contacted Cheke Tours who runs motorcycle tours in the area and told them what I was planning. They told me:

"I don't want to discourage you but your plan will be very difficult, if not impossible to realize. All travelers who wanted to do something similar to your trip, gave up. Too much paper work.

First, you can only buy a motorbike in Mongolia with a transit plate number that will allow you to go to the Russian border. After that, I don't know it the Russian will let you in with it.

The best way for you is to rent a bike to travel in Mongolia. Then go to Russia by train or bus and buy a bike there that you will sell before crossing into Kazakstan. In these countries, border crossing can be very complicated."

Is this a deal breaker? She has purchased bikes for other foreigners to ride in Mongolia so I feel like she knows what she is talking about. I have searched forever and I can't find any info on people buying bikes in Mongolia and taking them out.
Arindia556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Purchasing 2nd hand

Have you or would you consider purchasing a used bike that was ridden into Mongolia by an adventurer who doesn't want to or can't continue for some reason?
The reason I ask this is that one of the people I am planning to ride with this summer from Japan may very likely want to do just that. Bike will be a Suzuki DRZ400S.