Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #241
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
You must be Jason. :) Only one guy with an HP2 that I know of...
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #242
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Oddometer: 196
Hi

I'm about to PCS to Yongsan this summer, and plan (hope?) to bring my r1200gs with me to go touring the country as much as I can.

How much of a pain will it be to import the bike? Does TMO handle most of it, and I'll just have to do the insurance and registration dance? Presume we're not driving around on US plates, or if so not for long?

What's the deal with the whole US license + apostille = no test? http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_drive.html

Is that the way to go, or will an international driving permit work just as well? I think I'd rather not have to take their "road" test on a beat-up cruiser! (think Claudio Von Planta right before the long way round!)

Any tips and suggestions welcome.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #243
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnonio View Post
Hi

I'm about to PCS to Yongsan this summer, and plan (hope?) to bring my r1200gs with me to go touring the country as much as I can.

How much of a pain will it be to import the bike? Does TMO handle most of it, and I'll just have to do the insurance and registration dance? Presume we're not driving around on US plates, or if so not for long?

What's the deal with the whole US license + apostille = no test? http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_drive.html

Is that the way to go, or will an international driving permit work just as well? I think I'd rather not have to take their "road" test on a beat-up cruiser! (think Claudio Von Planta right before the long way round!)

I can't answer all of your questions as I am not associated with the military but I do have quite a few friends at Yongsan but I won't try to answer your question about bringing your bike into the country. However, I heard today that due to parking concerns on the base, you will be allowed to register only one vehicle, so if you're bringing a car, you won't be able to register your bike.

I can give you a pretty clear answer for the license. If you are going to be here for more than one year, then I suggest getting the Korean license with the test, apostille and all. If possible, get the apostille prior to coming because it will be difficult to get here. The riding test isn't too bad...yes, the bikes suck, but the idle settings on the bikes are such that you can leave it in first gear and barely use the throttle and you can make it around the course. I failed the first time and then easily passed the second.

If you will only be in Korea for a year, just get the international license because it won't be worth your trouble.
docjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #244
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Hi

I work on Yongsan and when I came here I shipped a motorcycle in my Household Goods. If you are military or government civilian it's easy. You will get a driver's license issued by the military...no need to deal with the Korean government. If you have a motorcycle endorsement on your US license, you can get it on your USFK issued license.

Registration...no problem. If the govt. ships your bike over for you, you will get an import document from transportation. Take this to the base registration office along with proof of insurance and you will get Korean plates issued by the PMO. No need to deal with the Korean government.

As mentioned above, they just came out with some new thing about only being able to register one vehicle. At Yongsan, you have always only been able to register one POV unless you have an exception to policy approved though garrision HQ. However, you could have one cage and one motorcycle with no exception required. I don't know if this has changed.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #245
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Hot Stuff:

You are making this sound way too easy. Trust the Marine Corps to throw a curve or two....

Taking a car AND the bike would be awesome, but I'm coming over unaccompanied so the bike would take out a lot of my HHG allowance.

I'm being told that housing does not require unaccompanied officers to live on base. I like the idea of staying out in town, to be able to soak in as much as I can and maximize language learning (full immersion, yeah!) I'm a FAO, would love to add another language to my toolkit.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #246
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Recently (last weekend in May) did a Seoul to East Coast to West Coast ride.

Ride report here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981316
Old 06-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #247
elnonio
shedding n00bness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
Recently (last weekend in May) did a Seoul to East Coast to West Coast ride.

Ride report here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981316
I'd be gutted to be followed by H-Ds on a trail ride after gettting the GS! ;)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #248
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
I'd be gutted to be followed by H-Ds on a trail ride after gettting the GS! ;)
Most of those guys were fine, though a couple of them were crapping their pants. A few spots were tough due to the lack of ground clearance. Picking a good line was critical.

Hot Stuff screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 10:08 PM