Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #46
jonpurdy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Has anyone shipped their bike to SK from Canada (or the US)? What was involved with the shipping process and what sort of paperwork was involved once you arrived? Much thanks if you've got the info.
jonpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #47
THEAPE
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Shipping into South Korea

I know 2 people who tried ex USA,
both bikes were "stuck" in customs and were shipped back to USA. Vey messy and very costly.
Suggestions:
  1. Assuming you are there for a few years, buy what you need in South Korea and make a deal with the bike shop that they service and buy back at a set price, assuming mechanical condition and appearance is good - lots of bike shops after expat dollar will do this.
  2. Buy and sell privatley with the help of an English speaking local.
PM me if you need some more info.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #48
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,429
I wonder, if you knew someone in the military stateside who was scheduled to be stationed in Korea, if you could "sell" him/her the bike, they ship it as part of their belongings, then you could "buy" it from him/her after they're settled in? Or something along those lines.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #49
NPLR
n00b

Island Style

Living on Geoje with a BMW 650 Dakar.

Took some decent, all road, rides rides along the southern coast last year and had one trip planned to Gyeongju but my friends bike decided to crap itself.
NPLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #50
Just_P_Dirty OP
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
Back from Mid tour. gotta see how the bike is doin and get her oil changed...anyone riding this weekend?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #51
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 329
Weather supposed to be decent this weekend (high around 40*F)....i don't think I'll make it out though, too much going on.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #52
hy150
R-me-wrench

Oddometer: 10
Hey guys single soldier here in South Korea on Osan AB I'm army e4 so really can't have a BIG bike like i did back in the states so here i have my Hyosung prima 50cc scooter man am i missing my Harley and my gsxr-1000 right now! Anyways I'm looking for a scooter shop close to Osan AB main gate if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it I need to get some replacement parts for this lil 50cc before it starts falling apart on me. And if anyone's interested I'll be doing a 50cc to 82cc swap on it.
hy150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #53
Toolbag
n00b

Just got here

Im another Army turd and just got to Casey, Ill only be here for a year so no dice on bringing my bikes here but what are the chances of renting or buying something cheap?
Toolbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #54
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbag View Post
Im another Army turd and just got to Casey, Ill only be here for a year so no dice on bringing my bikes here but what are the chances of renting or buying something cheap?
How much is cheap? Rentals are available in Seoul, but don't know about TDC. As far as buying, just have to keep you eyes open. Probably more to choose from as you get closer to Seoul. Are you authorized a POV?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #55
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
I'm here for one year and I was authorized to bring a bike as part of my HHGs. I'm USAF, but that should not make a difference.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #56
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I'm here for one year and I was authorized to bring a bike as part of my HHGs. I'm USAF, but that should not make a difference.

Yes, it does make a difference. Especially since he is at Camp Casey. I've known senior non-coms up there that were not allowed to have a POV.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #57
Skitch
Riding the range

For me, I shipped my bike like the rest of my HHGs...I was good to go as long as i did not exceed my max weight per the TMO regs. I shipped mine at the expense of other things, like clothes and pots and pans.
Now, as for local and base registration, that is another story. I believe the USAF restricts POV registration to those above the rank of TSGT.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #58
podes88
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hey. I'm teaching down in Daegu and getting my first bike pretty soon. I have lurked this site for a while and figured now that I'm out of uni with a paycheck its bout time I got a bike. I'm gonna pick up a 125cc () so that I can learn to ride before I take my test.
podes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #59
Skitch
Riding the range

Gear Question

I'm looking for a warmer winter ridning jacket, and was told to check out a place in Seoul/Itaewon district called Maxler. I managed a visit while on a work related trip to Camp Kim. I was impressed with his inventory of high quality gear for decent prices. While there, the owner mentioned another district in Seoul called Toe Goe-Ro...said it has a two block area of motorcycle stores. So, I'm looking for feedback on this district, as it is a little bit of effort to get there from Osan where I live. But if worth it, I'll do what i got to do...
Thanks in advance.
- Skitch
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #60
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I'm looking for a warmer winter ridning jacket, and was told to check out a place in Seoul/Itaewon district called Maxler. I managed a visit while on a work related trip to Camp Kim. I was impressed with his inventory of high quality gear for decent prices. While there, the owner mentioned another district in Seoul called Toe Goe-Ro...said it has a two block area of motorcycle stores. So, I'm looking for feedback on this district, as it is a little bit of effort to get there from Osan where I live. But if worth it, I'll do what i got to do...
Thanks in advance. - Skitch
Didn't know about Maxler - will need to check that out on my next visit. I see they have a web site - http://www.maxler.co.kr. Is Google Maps correct about their address? It shows about a block north of Itaewon-ro, a couple of blocks from the Itaewon subway station.

The motorcycle district in Seoul - yeah, transliterating that one is a bitch. For clues on pronunciation try this site. and paste "퇴계로" into the window. Select the slowest option. Sounds like tweegyeroh.

It's a few hundred meters of motorcycle shops one after another on both sides and some more on the back streets. Here is a good link that describes it. Follow the Toegyero link for a map that describes where it is: http://www.matthewoverington.com/2009/06/toegyero.html

FYI, the Hannam Dong area (walking distance from our building, which is next to Hannam Village 8th Army housing) has HD, KTM, BMW and Victory/Polaris dealers as well as a HOG chapter club house. H-D has a fair amount of pirate gear. BMW and KTM can dress you up in ADV style.

PS, I ran across a club page with some info you folks may find useful:

http://www.roaddragons.com/ComingtoK...0/Default.aspx

Good luck!

-Brad

Rectaltronics screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 11:15 PM
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote