Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #61
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Well I was back up in seoul today and had some time to do some serious shopping at Maxler. i ended up getting a nice Heine Gereike goretex and leather touring jacket. I was real impressed with the quality and price of the product and the service in the store. I'll get the matching pants next time I'm in town. i highly recommend these guys. "Terry" helped me and I can't say enough good things about his customer service.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #62
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post

FYI, the Hannam Dong area (walking distance from our building, which is next to Hannam Village 8th Army housing) has HD, KTM, BMW and Victory/Polaris dealers as well as a HOG chapter club house. H-D has a fair amount of pirate gear. BMW and KTM can dress you up in ADV style.

-Brad

There is a full line Teknics dealer near the BMW dealer in Hannam-dong.

Another great place out on Hwy 6 is 2 Ryun Kwon. Here is a google map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.553...num=1&t=m&z=19

Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #63
Skitch
Riding the range

Hot Stuff,
Thanks for the info on those shops. How do you find their prices compare to US prices? I'm interested in an Arai helmet. When I was stationed in Okinawa, I found Arai's to be priced almost 50% less than their US counterparts.
What impressed me at Maxler was the quality of the gear. Mostly high end european stuff I've never seen in the states.
I've also heard rumor about another shop up on the little 1 near/in Suwon. Are you familiar with that one?
Snow here in Osan last night. No riding today...
- Skitch
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #64
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
There is a full line Teknics dealer near the BMW dealer in Hannam-dong.
Hmmm, how could I have missed it? Where exactly?

Thanks for the info on Ryun Kwan, Hot Stuff. Definitely something to explore.

Skitch, last time I checked helmet prices I didn't see any great bargains. Maybe check Korean brands like KBC. And remember if you're hoping to bring it to the 'States you may want to make sure it has DOT approval markings to appease the occasional idiot cop.

Weird thing, even with some bargaining in Korea I can often buy Korean stuff cheaper in the 'States. Only time I ever got any great deals was when the won hit the crapper a few years ago and I was able to take advantage of a 30% difference in currency value. YMMV!

PS stay warm everyone!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #65
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Hmmm, how could I have missed it? Where exactly?

I don't remember exactly, but it was on the second floor on a corner, near either the BMW shop or KTM. Last time I was in there was a couple years ago, so it may have moved or closed.

As far as prices on Arai helmets, I don't recall the prices, but I'm thinking they are high, like in the 700,000 range for a helmet that would be in the $500 range in the US.

Here's the deal on prices here -- anything that is imported will cost you probably 50% - 100% more than the price in the US. If it's a Korean branded product (even if made overseas) such as KBC or HJC helmets, then you can sometimes beat the US price. I've seen Harley-Davidson branded HJC modular helmets in Toegyero (motorcycle street) going for in the W 150,000 range when they would cost you over $200 at a Harley dealer.

I have HJC helmets, and if I need a new shield or something I get it locally, it doesn't cost any more than ordering from the US.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #66
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

If any of you are in Seoul and want to go to some shops let me know--If I have time I can possibly show you where stuff is. If you're on your bike we can ride out to 2 Ryun Kwon. If you PM me I will provide contact info.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #67
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
I don't remember exactly, but it was on the second floor on a corner, near either the BMW shop or KTM. Last time I was in there was a couple years ago, so it may have moved or closed.
Might be there still. I have a habit of not looking up enough. Miss out on lots that way when in Asia...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #68
NPLR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Might be there still. I have a habit of not looking up enough. Miss out on lots that way when in Asia...
Yea but it seems like shops close out here only when they become successful. I've lost two of my favorite restaurants and a market that way down here. They were limping along, no idea how they kept the doors open, then they were discovered and *BAM* close up shop.

Skitch, let me know how you like the jacket, I need to pick up a riding jacket and was figuring I'd do so back in the States given how high most gear prices are here in Korea.
NPLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #69
NPLR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
In honor of the snow that has started falling outside, I'm thinking of a nice spring ride touching the four corners of Korea. Any word of some sort of monument or something in the north west that would be a good corner?
NPLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #70
Skitch
Riding the range

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPLR View Post
Yea but it seems like shops close out here only when they become successful. I've lost two of my favorite restaurants and a market that way down here. They were limping along, no idea how they kept the doors open, then they were discovered and *BAM* close up shop.

Skitch, let me know how you like the jacket, I need to pick up a riding jacket and was figuring I'd do so back in the States given how high most gear prices are here in Korea.
I'm thrilled with the jacket I got. Ended up getting the matching pants too. He swaps out his line-up for spring/summer gear in April, so if you want cold wx stuff, now is the time to get it. I'll be back in april to see what new stuff he brings in. So far it has been one of the best gear shops I've been too (if you are looking for jackets, pants, boots or gloves), and I've hit shops all over the world.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #71
Bluerope1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Headed to Korea osan in June

We are headed out for 2 years in June, I have a zrx1200r road bike and my son and I have dirt bikes. Crf450r and Cobra 50. Any suggestions on what to bring, I've heard dirt riding is tough to do. Thanks.

Tony
Bluerope1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #72
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerope1 View Post
We are headed out for 2 years in June, I have a zrx1200r road bike and my son and I have dirt bikes. Crf450r and Cobra 50. Any suggestions on what to bring, I've heard dirt riding is tough to do. Thanks.

Tony
The road bike will be great here. I think dirt can be done, but you will have to look into it. On/off road or adventure bike would be better, plenty of dirt/gravel roads to ride on in the rural and mountain areas.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #73
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPLR View Post

Just a guess here about why this happens, but I know that a lot of businesses lease thier location, and I suspect that when they become successful the building owner wants to take advantage and raise their rent to an unreasonable level. I've seen it happen to business owners I know here.

Hot Stuff screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 11:05 PM
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #74
xrjak
Day Dreamer

Oddometer: 17
Great pics

I was up North in the great ROK years ago, and really enjoyed the pics you fellows posted. My wife is Korean (met her years after going state side) and she talks about moving over there and I always say lets go. Now I really want to go. Keep the pics coming. xrjak
xrjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #75
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Hey guys, very good chance I'm coming to the Peyongtaek area soon. I have read plenty about how dirt riding is hard to find, I'm a little surprised, the southern part is still very rural, right? Surely there are mountain roads and rural trails all over (like in Thailand) right (or am I just WRONG?) ha ha?

I'm trying to figure out which bike to bring, the WR250r (with knobbies), the GS, or buy there.

Thanks!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote