Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #16
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,266
Man, this report is for losers. The losers that went on this trip without me...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #17
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,520
Day 2, Salida to Lake City

I think we left our "accommodation" for the Patio Pancake House around 8am. During breakfast a bunch of guys walked up and started looking over my bike. They must have been checking it out for a good 15 minutes. At one point they started sticking fingers behind the headlight mask so I tapped on the window to let them know I was watching . A bit later another guy showed up and started looking at the bike. I'm rarely this popular. I went outside and it turned out it was inmate bakerman from the UK, I guess the other guys were his buddies. I'd seen Bakerman post pics of his Rallye RFS with an LC4 28l tank before on the 525 as an adventure bike thread. Turns out he was having some bike issues, had hit a cow earlier and probably broken some ribs

Anyways, breakfast was good, pancakes with whatever you want inside them. I like it when they mix the additions in the batter, not just scattering them on the top. I think I had chocolate chip, banana and pecan. Good stuff!

We then burned 20 minutes looking for a bank. Loser tip of the day -- we'd already decided we were going to stay in Lake City as we were going to take an extra half day the following day and ride around the San Juan's -- but if you plan to ride Salida to Rico in one day, you need to be rolling a lot earlier than 10.30am, probably closer to 8am.

I found the ride upto Hancock totally exhausting. I'd not given any thought to the altitude. Flying into Denver from sea level and going upto 12500 feet within 36 hours was not my greatest idea. I saw Brian stop to pick up Todd's luggage, it was on a tricky part of the trail. I should have stopped lower down and walked up but instead I rode up next to him and couldn't then get a good start so I had to push the bike around a bit which totally wiped me out.

A few pics. Toddler heading up the jeep trail towards Hancock Pass

Brian climbing towards the summit

From the other side of Hancock, Todd and Brian still at the summit

Since we planned to stay in Lake City and not Rico, it was obvious we were going to be arriving early, so instead we went looking for some off-TAT riding. I found this trail labelled "Crystal Creek Road"

Located here:

Further down the trail it got steep and turned into single track, at this point my clutch started to slip pretty badly pulling from standing and I had visions of the bike not making it past CO so Brian scouted ahead. Few minutes later he came back and wasn't sure the trail went through, so we turned around and rode it back to the road. Good mix of terrain, fun!

Once we get back to the main road we spend a few minutes adjusting my clutch. I'd installed one of the cLever lever reduced pull clutch levers. We thought we'd readjusted it to eliminate the slipping but it would later turn out we'd not.

Back on 788 I'm coming round a slight corner on a pretty straight section of road, doing 45. I see the cop but I can't recall seeing a speed sign so I don't slow down figuring I can't possibly be speeding. On come the flashers so I pull over. Hinsdale County sherrif informs me that the speed limit is 25 miles per hour in the county and I was doing 43. I ask how I'm supposed to know this since there are no signs and his reply is "well what speed do you think it is, whatever you want" . After producing my paperwork I get let off with a warning.

We arrive in Lake City around 6pm. As Brian said, the lady at the country story was incredibly helpful. Thanks to her we find a very reasonable room ($55) at the Backcountry Basecamp. I think we were in room one. The owner is very friendly and lets us do our laundry. Excellent place, highly recommended.

Only one problem for the following day, when I finally got into bed I felt like crap and was shivering ..........

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 10:27 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #18
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243

Tuned in, great stuff.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #19
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,399
Man this is the perfect kind of loser ride I enjoy doing. I hate the clock so ride when you want (but be prepared to camp, just in case it's late, dark or lost). Enjoying it, keep it coming...................................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #20
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
No doubt

You guys sold me on this ride, I need to do it before I'm too old. You've posted some great pix BTW. Just make sure you guys don't hit any cows, immooveable object ya know! Ride safe guys, have more fun for us.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
DRZ Tires

Hey remarksman - from the pics it looks like you might be a running Kenda 270 in the rear? If it is, how did it do out there? I have one on my DR350 and have yet to find any slop that really stopped me in my tracks and was wondering if it could handle the western portion of the TAT.

Thx and nice thread!

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #22
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
Hey remarksman - from the pics it looks like you might be a running Kenda 270 in the rear? If it is, how did it do out there? I have one on my DR350 and have yet to find any slop that really stopped me in my tracks and was wondering if it could handle the western portion of the TAT.

Thx and nice thread!
Hi,

Good question -- meant to address this in the "what worked" section.
It is, indeed,, a K-270, and I think it was a really good choice for the western TAT. It was brand new when we started in Denver, and it is now looking rather square and potentially ready for replacement 2,550 miles later.
I ran the Kenda 270 on the rear with a Pirelli MT-21 on the front. The front actually still looks pretty good, and probably has another 700-1000 miles of life left.

Tony ran the Dunlop D606 rear and some kind of "desert IT" front (I think). I considered the 606, having run that as a rear tire previously, but it never would have made the whole trip for me. It lasted the whole trip for Tony, altho the last couple days were a bit iffy. I like to do a bit of "rear wheel steering" on graded gravel roads, and would have worn out the 606 much more quickly. The tires wore noticeably on the section from Richfield, UT to Baker, NV -- must have been some sharp gravel on those roads around Crystal Peak.

We did have to ride through several sections of really slippery mud coming out of Eureka, NV, and while I'm sure the K-270 spun up more than something a bit more aggressive would have, it got me through the mud with no problems. It did fine on large rocks, gravel and other loose stuff, and sand. We ran fairly normal pressures (18-20 in front, 22-25 rear) pretty much all the time to preserve tire life, and because having to 'air up' when getting to a paved road is too much work for losers like us
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
Tony ran the Dunlop D606 rear and some kind of "desert IT" front (I think).
My front was a Maxxis IT but I don't believe it's the desert version. It came on the bike. The outer knobs were tearing pretty badly. The D606 on the rear is totally shot but the last 200 miles which were mostly pavement to get home didn't help it. I think it did fine for the dirt sections.

I think the K270 is a good choice also. Probably wears a little better.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #24
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Thx for the responses!

Much appreciated - I just didn't know if the kenda could swing it out there, but now that I've seen this I have new faith in that sucker. Hopefully next year will be my shot at the TAT and I sure enjoy each thread on it - yours had me with the title...love the shenanigans and waitin' for more!

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #25
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3, Lake City to Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Only one problem for the following day, when I finally got into bed I felt like crap and was shivering ..........
The plan had been to take the following morning, detour from the TAT and explore the San Juans. Rejoin the TAT to Rico in the afternoon. We'd been kicking the idea of Black Bear pass around in our heads.

I woke the next morning feeling pretty grim and was very sluggish getting started. One of the things that didn't work well on the KTM was the Trailtech side stand, a lot stronger than OEM but leaves the bike standing too tall. I spent the whole trip searching out decent camber spots to stop. This morning as I was loading the Giant Loop, the bike decided to fall over narrowly missing Brian. It was definitely one of those mornings where nothing goes right.

We got to breakfast at the Tic Toc diner around 10.30am and they had just stopped serving breakfast It would be 30 minutes until lunch began or we could have a cinnamon roll for $5.50. It was a good cinnamon roll to be sure but not $5.50 good, also the service was terrible, our waitress was permanently on the telephone. Some time during breakfast I started feeling ever more loopy so it was decided that we'd ride up Cinnamon Pass, I'd rest and Brian could go explore without me dragging him down.

Tic Toc Cafe:

Heading up towards Cinnamon Pass, super easy trail but I wasn't feeling good so I took it fairly easy:

Cinnamon Pass:

It was fairly windy at the pass, so we quickly dropped the 1000' down to Animas Forks where I would rest while Brian rode upto Engineer Pass. I had a good hour nap lying on the floor of one of the abandoned buildings and felt a lot better when Brian returned:

After this we quickly headed over Hurricane Pass:

By this point I'm feeling pretty good again. Shocker! We stop at the junction marked to Corkscrew Pass and after a little bit of nav fudging realise we're supposed to head up over Corkscrew. It's lucky we didn't take the SE route as we'd have missed a treat. Nice twisty decent and fabulous views. It would be fun to take a couple of hours and explore some of the side trails:

After this the road down to Highway 550 straightens out with a few spots to goon off and get some air

At the junction of 550, I decided that the cLever lever is still not adjusted right and thats what is causing the clutch to slip in soft stuff. I reinstall the stock Magura lever, there is a slight sandy hill so I take a few laps to verify it's better. Brian laments the fact that every place I decide to do this clutch adjustment is full of mosquitos.

We run into some dirt bikers loading up, yet another reason to come back and explore here. Sounds like there are some good trails.

After this we head down Hwy 550, it looks like it's going to rain (thunderstorm) and sure enough it does. It's raining on us most of the way upto Ophir pass but quits just before we reach the pass:

View from the other side looking down towards Ophir:

Ophir is a cool little village. Nothing in the way of facilities but I guess it's overflow from Telluride, wonder how expensive it is to live there?

After this it's about 15 miles of highway into Rico. Since we were staying about 15 miles South of town we stopped for dinner on the way through town. We eat at a newly opened cafe called Dew South which was excellent cafe cuisine with a southern twist. Across the street is the Argentine Grille which is supposed to be of considerable renown but we wanted something cheaper and more low key. After this we stopped at the liquor store for a couple of beers, since I was buying, Brian chose a $12 bottle of wheat beer

We hit the road just before sunset and rode the 15 miles South to the Circle K Ranch. As we pulled into the cabin we saw a pair of KTMs (525 EXC and 450 XC-W) parked outside, turns out this is quite a popular place to stay if you're riding the single track near Rico. It was fun to talk to these guys, they were pretty experienced riders. About ninety minutes later we hit the sack, pretty tired for a relatively short day (for me at least, Brian was less of a loser).

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 01:11 AM
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #26
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,137
Enjoying the report. Darn, I may have to go ride the TAT now.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #27
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Bikes
- Time management in general. Leaving any earlier than 9am seemed beyond us on a regular basis. A few days we were even later.
You see, that is what happens when you go on a trip without the "alarm clock"....

G
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #28
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,952
manomanoman - I want to do this sooo bad, it hurts LOL!

the logistics of living (and working) in FL keep messing me up :(
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #29
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
You see, that is what happens when you go on a trip without the "alarm clock"....
Hey Gusty. When I was feeling good, believe me, I tried to be the alarm clock

I think the optimum schedule would have been:

1. Denver - Salida
2: Salida - Rico
3: Rico - Moab
4: Moab - Salina (very long day)
5: Salina - Baker
6: Baker - Eureka
7: Eureka - McDermitt (very very long day)
8: McDermitt - Lakeview (long day)
9. Lakeview - Chemult
10. Chemult - Portland

This would have left close to zero time for maintenance. So it's probably not a great schedule if you're riding an RFS which needs oil every 400 miles or so without a cooler. Given how hot it was in the mornings, Rico - Green River is appealing but you're looking at 235 miles Rico to Moab plus another 70 miles to Green River (Mapsource's calculation of distance based on the tracks is about 10/15% low we found, i.e reality is longer).

If you're camping you have much more flexibility. Otherwise once you hit Utah, your options on where to stay are basically Moab, Green River, Salida, Richfield, Kanosh, Baker, Eureka, Battle Mountain, McDermitt, Fields/Denio, Lakeview so depending on how you do it, you get a couple of easy short days or long days, especially in Nevada.

Also, we didn't have any gas issues on the trip. Brian said he got 230 miles off his one tank (impressive) going from Baker to Eureka but there is gas for sure in Lund and maybe in Preston so there is probably no need for more than 130 mile range there. Green River to Salida is probably the longest run without access to fuel.

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 08:53 AM
Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #30
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
Losers have a hard time doing 220 mile days, and have to skip parts of the TAT to get into town before dark.
Losers take at least two hours from waking up to getting on the road and moving.
Losers' laundry never gets dry, and they have to put on damp socks in the morning.
Losers spend an hour and a half searching for a non-existent road just because their GPS track doesn't have enough waypoints.
We are TAT Losers, and this is our story...