Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #61
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Yes, an epic day this. All of about 80 miles.

Who of us was the biggest loser? I'll let you the readers chime in on that.

Man, I was back and forth...Brian, you, Brian, you...then you showed us your armpit, I think we have a winner...err uhm, make that LOSER!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #62
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,796
Ow, that looks like it hurts. After my last trip to Moab I won't call anyone a loser that gets more than 20 miles in and is still able to ride from there.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #63
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Day 5 - Moab, UT to Green River, UT

The plan for this day was "Moab, UT to Salina, UT" so just by looking at the title you might guess that some Loser incidents occur.

Because we didn't make it to Moab before 6PM the night before, the first agenda item for the day was an oil change for Tony's "mighty Katoom." We managed to arrive at Moab Powersports just before 9:00, when they opened. They loaned Tony an oil drain pan to change his oil and some filter oil, but they had only semi-synthetic oil, which did not meet the "mighty Katoom's" snooty tastes. Fortunately two different auto parts stores were only a couple blocks away, and the second one carried oil of sufficient repute.
After fetching oil, I changed the main jet on the DRZ. My bike had been surging a bit the day before when cruising at steady throttle, and that usually means it is running a bit lean. Moab is all the way down to 4000 feet elevation, so that made some sense. Of course, being the Loser mechanic that I am, I had taken the opportunity of re-jetting the bike for altitude to also change from the stock DRZ 400S exhaust header to a larger diameter one from the E model which had been sitting around in my garage for a year or so. (Still with the stock S silencer.) So I was a bit out of 'known territory' with the jetting overall, but I knew when I started the trip was that the bike seemed really lean at sea level -- when you're headed to 12,000 feet, that's a good thing.
Accessing the bottom of the carb on the DRZ is pretty difficult without pulling the tank, which would have required pulling off the DirtBagz, so the jet change took a while. And I may be in the running for "World's Slowest Mechanic." Despite Tony's impression, however, I seem to recall having my bike back together and tools packed up, then helping hold Tony's bash plate while he re-attached it.

We finally got on the road from Moab a little after 11:00 — definitely not an early start.
Tony took a number of photos of the Moab red rocks, but I was feeling behind schedule, so I only took these two:

It didn't take too many photo stops before the DRZ started surging again, although it was actually more like it was cutting out occasionally, usually when cruising at partial throttle. It got pretty bad at one point and we thought about trying to find a tree tall enough to provide some shade to put the previous jet back in, but the trees are almost all really short. By the time we found one which might work, the bike seemed to be running better, and I wasn’t looking forward to working on a hot bike in 100 degree temps anyway, so we just continued on. Sometimes it ran well for miles at a time, then it would get bad, and I couldn't figure out a pattern.

Eventually I saw some scenery that looked interesting enough to stop despite feeling behind schedule. I had gotten a little way ahead of Tony, so I thought I might be able to get my camera out in time to wave him past and get the scenery with him in it. I got the camera out, and I thought I heard him approaching, but then he didn't appear. I put the camera away and went back around the corner to find that he had crashed after hitting the little trench across the road which is vaguely visible here:

The scenery actually was nice -- here's Tony surveying the crash scene:

Fortunately he and the bike were both mostly OK -- it could have been a lot worse had he landed differently on the various rocks.

Here's Tony getting closer to I-70, I think it is between the close ridge and the large mesas:

Finally we made it to Green River where we ate lunch at the gas station Burger King. I think this was our only "fast food" for the trip:

Tony already covered some of the navigational challenges we had outside Green River. The "wet cement" consistency of the wet parts of the "dry wash" was a bit of a surprise:

I really wanted to take a picture of "AdobeMan" after we pushed the bike out of this scene, but I feared that AdobeMan's brick-like powers would be unleashed on either me or the camera.

After giving up on getting underneath I-70 via the bridge over this "dry wash", we spent a long time going back and forth on the "Old Dump Road" west of Green River and north of I-70, looking for a way to cross over or under the railroad tracks.
For future reference, the fact that the distance between the tracks is pretty close to the wheelbase of an average motorcycle makes crossing 'bare' tracks really challenging.
Eventually we wandered well off the Dump Road to an underpass for a small creek/wash. I walked down to check it out. The approach looked tricky, and the afternoon was wearing on, so we decided to just hit the highway and try to pick up the TAT track somewhere else. Tony took off, but my bike didn't want to start. After a few cranks, the starter motor began slowing down - uh oh! I got off the bike to take a look, and gas was pouring out of the carb from somewhere, but I couldn't tell where. I took the gas cap off, and a little geyser of gas shot up, over a foot high!
I had a sudden vision of myself throwing handfuls of sand at a burning DRZ, but no fire appeared. The gas even missed the GPS, but only by a couple inches. Boiling gas in the desert -- recommended only for Losers!

So the lesson learned is that the little check valves that go on gas cap vents can plug up or stop working, or maybe they only allow air in and not out. In any case, the surging/cutting out problems on my bike were almost certainly caused by pressure in the gas tank overcoming the float valve in the carb. The pattern of occurrence that I couldn't figure out earlier was probably something like: if I kept moving, the problem went away or reduced, but stopping for photos and navigation difficulties would result in engine heat under the tank increasing the pressure and temperature of the gas.

After the pressure was relieved, the bike started and ran fine, as long as I unscrewed the cap every couple minutes.

At that point, even us Losers came to the inescapable conclusion that we would not be going to Salina that day. Instead, we would stay in a miserable little motel, and I would get an actual hose for a gas cap vent from the auto parts store.

Loser stats for Day 5:

We got some laundry done, had a fairly nice dinner, then I spent some time routing my new hose down safely past the exhaust and into the skid plate.
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #64
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,550
Day 6, Green River UT to Richfield UT

So if you're still following along, this was supposed to be day 5 (Moab UT to Salina UT) but due to a combination of late start, heat, shitty nav and boiling gas, we find out intrepid travelers stuck in the Motel 6 in Green River.

Amazingly we are up and at the Green River Coffee Company just after they opened. Yelp and my recollection both say they open at 7am. Exactly how we managed this magical feat I'm not sure. I just know it's probably never to be repeated.

After the navigation issues of the previous day (blue arrows on maps below, where we got stuck initially South of I70 and then North of the railroad tracks) we decided we'd skip that section, head West on I70 and rejoin the track where it meets Hwy191/6 (red arrow). We would then follow the track along FOUR CORNERS MINE ROAD (emphasis deliberate) back to I70 where it would be a short ride along the frontage or freeway to where it heads North into Black Dragon wash (purple arrow).

Simple.

Anyways, a picture or 3 is worth a thousand words, first from the Benchmark map:

Then Mapsource showing the GPS track from the previous day which led us past the gate into the swampy wash and then got us stuck on the North side of the railroad tracks where Brians gas started to boil:

Then Mapsource showing todays detour where we planned to pickup the TAT where it crossed Hwy191/6:

So we're off, it's early. We've had a good breakfast. We're heading West on I70 and turn North onto Hwy 191/6. We easily find where the track intersects the highway. I'm a winner not a loser. A short while later we're heading North and I stop at a junction where a new dirt road heads West. Brian motions that this isn't the correct way. I look at the GPS and sure enough, the track actually keeps going North before heading West further ahead. So off we go and soon we're into a wash. In case you're not following along, scroll back a little to the "emphasis deliberate" bit We lose the trail/wash, we find a trail, we lose the trail etc etc .... we get more lost and we basically go around and around heading nowhere useful for about 75 minutes. In the middle of this, I get confused and start thinking this is the Black Dragon wash. Actually pulling the map out doesn't cross my mind. Had it crossed my mind, I mind have seen that a) we're nowhere near Black Dragon b) we should actually be on a dirt road. About an hour later we remember the ROAD bit and since we can see a road to the South, think to ourselves, hmmn, maybe it would be good to head back along that

Anyways, the wash riding was kinda fun but hard work

And kinda sandy, fun fun!

Anyways, eventually having discovered our nav super powers we get back onto a road. We're south of the track but we're on the correct route. We end up at the I70 intersection with Hwy 24.

It's about 9am by now, 90 minutes after we left Green River. I have this odd feeling that I was drinking a lot of water. I'm carrying 3 liters in my bladder and another 1 1/2 liters of backup. I find I've drained TWO liters of my bladder. Brian has drained one. An odd thing on this trip was that some days one of us would consume way more than the other but another day it would be the exact opposite. There is a pickup truck sitting at the interchange. I knock on the window and ask if he has any water. Amazingly he had a case of Costco water bottles. He gives us 4. That gets me almost back to full.

We head along I70 and Brian misses the pulloff (not an exit) for Black Dragon. Fortunately there is a primitive rest area 1/2 mile ahead (Ran Rafael Reef View Point). There there is another truck parked with a couple inside. I again knock on the window, ask if they have water. They too have a case of Costco water bottles and they give us 4 bottles bringing us back over 100%. Two sets of very generous good Samaritans come to the assistance of one and a half major losers.

Directly opposite the view point is a police U-turn, so we head back down the entry ramp, then cross I70 and use the U-turn to get us headed East on I70. Half a mile later we pull off and there is an underpass that will take us to the North side:

Anyways, regarding Black Dragon wash. I'd been a little apprehensive about it because just before I left, Brian forwarded me this thread of doom and gloom. I recall watching the video and thinking, hmm that doesn't look bad and it would be a lot easier if the rider stood and used some gas but videos can be misleading, so I was still a little uneasy.

Right after we cross under the underpass, we see the sign for Black Dragon on the North side of I70:

And we're off:

Pretty sure these pics have shown up in the odd ride report or two:

[one of the decision points, straight ahead or follow the wash to the right]

It really is pretty easy (and I don't consider myself to be much of an off-road rider). There are usually two possible routes, the actual wash and a detour. Sometimes the detour is an obvious actual trail, sometimes it's better to be on the wash. After a couple of miles the wash itself becomes impassible but the trail heads up to the right and gains some elevation. I did have one genius moment. Fairly soon after we started we were at one of these decision points, stay to the right on the wash or go up over a lip to the left. Brian looks at the lip and says "no way I'm going up there". Now Brian is a better rider than I but I have delusions of grandeur and decide I can easily make it up there. Unfortunately a) I don't get anywhere near enough speed up because I bog down in the sand b) I told Brian to video it. I get about 3/4 of the way up and come to a sudden halt on the lip falling back down and having the bike topple onto me. Comical but being more serious, messing around here wasn't a good idea. In this case you're close to I70 but there are some remote places later where it's just not wise.

Anyways, we stop for a break for about 15 minutes where the trail heads up out of the wash:

I recall reading that the wash was 5 miles long. I'm not sure where this measurement is taken from. A while after the above photo, we get to the corresponding Black Dragon sign at the far end. I think it took us about 45 minutes sign to sign including the break but I'm not really sure of the distance.

It was fun but seriously nothing to worry about if you have the most basic of off-road riding skills.

Shortly after you cross to the South side of I70 and reach Paige Flats:

It wasn't far after this where we saw a woman wandering along the side of one of the dirt roads, middle of nowhere and first person we'd seen since the rest area.

Heading towards Swayze's cabin :

Brian standing outside the cabin:

Right after the cabin is the start of Eagle Canyon. This was an absolute blast. Narrow jeep trails, climbs, descents, rocky washes, sandy washes. It was the most fun I'd had on a bike in a long time:

Yet another picture of the I70 bridge crossing Eagle Canyon:

The Canyon trail ends just after the bridge where two OHV trails continue on, this one heading East:

And this one heads South West (which is the TAT track):

Right after it starts a steep climb with a couple of ledges, I believe this is the "difficult" Eagle Canyon climb I've seen mentioned in other ride reports such as Docking Pilots:

We're still on the North side of I70 (after crossing under the bridges) and there are a couple of long sandy uphill climbs further on. Nothing too hard and no ledges.

Crossing to the South side of I70:

brings you into the Justensen flats OHV area and the beginning of Cat Canyon. This is one remote place and for me, this was the part of the day that never seemed to end. The trail just went on and on and on.

Just after crossing to the South side of I70:

Heading towards Cat Canyon:

We take a break for 25 minutes rolling the bikes under some trees. We've brought some granola bars and goo for lunch and we drink some water. Shortly after this there is a great set of sandy washes, I don't have any pics of them, hoping Brian does.

Then there is the silt. Man this sucked bad, I'd get the bike upto second gear and my ass was as far back as I could get it but the bike was all over the place. A bit later it turns into sand. Then crossing a wash there is a steep right hand transition into another silty area where I biff it (again).

After the silty two track, there is this seemingly endless silty road. Not as silty as the two track but it still sucked. Finally the road improves slightly, looking back in the other direction I see a sign saying we're now on a county improved road. We're heading through a series of washes and the road is totally deja-vu, no straight section lasts more than 75 yards before you make a turn and this goes on for probably 10 miles. I think this is the part of the day where I was just ready for it all to be over, mostly just tired.

Finally we're out of the washes and onto clay roads with some great mesa views.

Shortly after this intersection we cross what I believe is the Muddy River.

And then into this cool area of small black boulders. I wish I had taken a waypoint to know exactly where this is. I believe the boulders are glacially deposited but I'm not sure if the area has a name and my google-fu turned up nothing. Docking Pilot in his report refers to these boulders being near Justensen Flats but that's not correct. JF is right just after you cross South over I70, nowhere near here:

There are some fun washes to cross. This one was pretty easy, if I recall correctly there was one earlier where Brian stops on the far side and calls out to me. I have my ear plugs in so I keep asking him to repeat what he's saying. Finally he waves his arms in frustration and motions me to come over. I get over and promptly dump the bike on the far side. Brian says "I was trying to tell you it's slicker than snot over this side"

The road then straightens out and we';re getting close to I70, we pass signs saying 5 miles on some perpendicular road but we keep going straight:

One of the things we both came to "love" about the TAT was just as you think you're close to something, town, major road, the trail will just head out on a 15 mile jeep trail detour and this was no exception, following are a couple of pics where it was easy and fast. Lots of climbing and descending on rocky trails.

Finally we reach I70 and we're riding the frontage road which is mostly dirt with the occasional sign that parts were once paved. You cross under I70 often:

And occasionally the frontage road goes through some cool tunnels:

We could see we were heading towards a thunderstorm for a while and about 20 miles before Salina we start getting dumped on. Here is a cool double rainbow pic for Ladybug:

We're close to Salina now and it's time for another TAT detour loop to the south. We're both tired, it's been pouring and the detour looks sandy and wet. So we decide to skip it and stay on the much better dirt frontage into Salina.

We ride through Salina and realize there isn't much there, so we push ahead to Richfield, the trail runs along irrigation channels and basically any dirt that avoids the highway:

Upon reaching Richfield it's iphone time again and we score a good room at the Days Inn. $55 with free breakfast. The owner tells us thats a major discount as the motels in town are in trouble.

We settle in and later on head out for dinner at PepperBelly's I think Brian has a picture of the food, portion sizes were absurdly huge and worse, there was no beer.

Anyways, we head back to the hotel. I hop in the hot tub and relax before bed .... oh and yeah, the bruise is starting to take shape, starting to see some blues and greens:

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 11:48 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #65
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Day 6 - Green River, UT to Richfield, UT

This was an awesome day, even if we pulled a few Loser stunts! One of the best parts of the TAT!

We got up early, arriving at the coffee shop for breakfast right around 7:00. After downing some giant breakfast burritos and large servings of caffeine, and stopping to get me some gas (since I didn't know how much I had lost yesterday) and extra water bottles, we hopped onto I-70 for about 2 miles, then turned onto a state highway which intersected with the TAT on Four Corners Mine Road. Of course, I missed the turn because Tony had dropped out of sight in my rearview mirror, I think because he had slowed down to actually pay attention to his GPS. First sign that it was going to be a bit of an "off day" for me.
Anyway, it took us about five minutes from leaving Green River to getting back on the TAT trail. Hard to believe we spent probably an hour trying to follow our GPS tracks to the same place yesterday. Losers!

Four Corners Mine Road was well graded, and with the morning sun shining on the San Rafael Swell (or whatever that ridge is), it was beautiful:

Things go well until our GPS track indicates we should leave the main road and follow a crummy little road up some wash. We do that, but the road kind of fades away. There are a number of other sketchy jeep trails and washes leading this way and that, some of them seeming to get back onto our "track." We get caught up in trying to solve this puzzle, and since the two of us have significantly different problem-solving strategies, the lack of agreement means neither of us step back and figure out that we were just supposed to stay on the main road. Losers!

In some ways it was kind of fun, because I always wondered what riding in the Dakar would be like, crossing essentially trackless desert chasing some GPS directions -- that's exactly what we were doing. On the other hand, we were both working fairly hard and the morning coolness gave way to a fairly humid-feeling heat, and I dropped the bike for the first time on the trip while trying to climb up a little ridge to see over it. Yeah, one of those days.
Tony checking the GPS one more time:

We finally just cut across the valley to the other side where the main road was, and got out to I-70. A guy was sitting in his truck on the exit ramp talking on his cell phone. Tony knocked on his window and asked if he had any spare water, and he gave us four water bottles -- wow!

Then we headed up I-70 and I missed the turn into the Black Dragon access (getting to be a pattern today, maybe I shouldn't get up so early), so we ended up in a scenic overlook, where Tony asked another person for water, and they gave us four more bottles. After a bit of wrong-way driving and illegal use of the "Authorized Vehicles Only" U-Turn, we finally got into the Black Dragon Wash.

Yeah, this is some epic scenery when you're riding it:

And you do have to pay attention, because some parts are rocky:

As Tony mentioned, in many parts of the wash, you can choose between continuing up the wash, or trying little roads that short-cut the corners, or which just go up the bank to avoid rougher sections of the wash. I saw that the little "step" on the hill in this video was going to make it tough to go up the hill, and was trying to see how rough the wash itself was going to be when Tony says something like, "Get the camera out, I think I can get up that."
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
It turned out to just be funny, but it could have been a trip-ender if his leg got caught under the bike.

After a short bit of fun, we find ourselves leaving the wash and getting back out into the open.

Time for a little snack break in the tiny shade of a short tree:

Then we head out into mesa country for a while:

It's beautiful and lonely. After we cross over I-70, we come across a lady who is walking down one of these dirt roads in the middle of no-where, but she acts like she knows what she's doing.

Like I said, this is one of the best segments of the TAT, so many of today's photos almost seem cliché after reading so many TAT ride reports.

Swasey's Cabin:

We left a TAT message in the log book:

Then it was down into Eagle Canyon:

Yeah, Tony is in this one, too, but very hard to spot:

After a cool descent, we were down in the wash for a while. The cliffs and rocks are just beautiful, and the riding is interesting.

Cliché:

So here is Tony's photo of the OHV trail that leads us up and out of the canyon:

I dropped the bike again after encountering a large rock hidden in that sand. That makes two.

After the sandy bit at the bottom, it gets quite a bit rockier as we climb out of the canyon:

We cross under I-70 through some little tunnels, then go on to Cat Canyon:

(Yeah, Tony is in that one, too.)

I managed to stall out on some loose rocks and drop the bike yet again (three!). I was really feeling tired this day. We found a larger tree and took another break, and that helped. Eventually we crossed the Muddy River, which I have some video of that will go into the day 6 video, but Tony's photo for refresher:

These funky black rocks are just on the other side of the river (again, Tony's photo):

Shortly after that area, this image is from LXIV-Dragon's TAT ; No Reservations thread:

Tony hit the same slippery mud just after crossing the little creek. I didn't snap a photo, but this one looks almost exactly the same.

There was a wash that we got into around this time that Tony mentioned -- it wound back and forth, back and forth, over and over again for mile after mile. It wasn't difficult riding, but it wasn't easy, either, and it just felt like it went on and on.

At one point I spotted some wild horses in the middle distance. They were moving slowly away, but as soon as I stopped the bike to grab the camera, they took off in a hurry:

Well into the afternoon, we finally started getting close to I-70 again, but then we had a roller-coaster jeep trail detour:

The access roads that follow I-70 were actually kind of fun and the scenery was pretty good. Eventually it started raining and I put the cameras away. The TAT takes a little detour away from I-70 for a while, but after driving 100 feet down the slippery mud on that road, we decided to just continue into Salina on the access roads. Salina looked pretty empty, so we continued on to Richfield.

The iPhone found the Days Inn for us, and it was a really nice place for the price. Then we ate dinner at a mexican place called PepperBelly's, where the chips come in a little bucket:

I was served the largest burrito I have ever seen:

I managed to eat almost half of it. A nice twelve hour day:
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #66
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
we get more lost and we basically go around and around heading nowhere useful for about 75 minutes.
That sounds like the TAT!
Yeah, that section leaving Green River is confusing. The roll chart directs you down this road...

Then under the over pass (the road was all torn up and mostly deep silt in 2010)

You go under the overpass and to the right...

And you know you're on the TAT when you see this...

BigWan and I enjoyed your Black Dragon/Eagle Canyon/Cat Canyon pics this morning! Thanks!
I love that day (well, except for cat canyon...)

p.s. sorry about your armpit boo boo. That must have made the ride pretty uncomfortable

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #67
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
That sounds like the TAT!
Yeah, that section leaving Green River is confusing. The roll chart directs you down this road...

Yep. That's where we went down. It's right after the Chevron station, just before the I70 interchange. The track file we had was useless was the problem.

Quote:
Then under the over pass (the road was all torn up and mostly deep silt in 2010)

Looks nothing like that now. Though I have a recollection Toddler told me there were two, so maybe the one you show above was closer to town and the one we were trying to head under was further away.

Dunno, anyways, just be aware if you get the GPS tracks from that UK site, they are very iffy around here. If I were doing it again I'd just head West on I70 from Green River and keep going until just before the rest area where there is a pull off for Black Dragon. Save yourself the frustration.

Quote:

p.s. sorry about your armpit boo boo. That must have made the ride pretty uncomfortable
I liked Cat Canyon. It's just long. Armpit didn't actually hurt much at all and I think after Richfield, the neck whiplash (minimal that it was) totally disappeared. I was lucky, as I said, I was surprised I didn't break a rib.

Thanks for the post and pics
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #68
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
and since the two of us have significantly different problem-solving strategies, the lack of agreement means neither of us step back and figure out that we were just supposed to stay on the main road. Losers!
That's a good way to put it.

You took some great pics here Brian . I really loved this day. Despite being an avid hiker, when it comes to riding it turns out that the desert of Utah and Nevada moves me more than the mountains of Colorado

Quote:
As Tony mentioned, in many parts of the wash, you can choose between continuing up the wash, or trying little roads that short-cut the corners, or which just go up the bank to avoid rougher sections of the wash. I saw that the little "step" on the hill in this video was going to make it tough to go up the hill, and was trying to see how rough the wash itself was going to be when Tony says something like, "Get the camera out, I think I can get up that."
God that video is hysterical. I love videos always looks 1/4 the difficulty/steepness of reality. What a LOSER!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #69
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,441
Nice report guys. Really enjoying it

I've done Cat Cyn, Eagle Wash, and Black Dragon a few times now and they have all been totally different every time. June last year on big bikes following the TAT, Black Dragon and Eagle were both in good shape. No worries. (Skipped Cat Cyn to explore a different route ) A few months later in October on the small bikes, Eagle and Cat were thrashed and the flat lands near Lone Tree Crossing were a chocolate pudding swamp. Never know what yer gonna find. All depends on when the last rains fell.

Heading out to Utah again next week

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #70
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
Those rocks reminded me of the Racetrack in Death Valley. I was also amazed at the way the ground was eroded to the White rock. When I first saw it I thought it was pavement.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #71
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
I didn't even try to find the way under the tracks, I just went out to where the trail turns left away from the tracks and went over.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #72
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,796
The pictures just keep getting better and better, you're making me want to go there. The double rainbows were terrific too bad the underarm bruise is as colorful as those rainbows.

Hi LittleWan nice to see you here These losers are fun to watch. With Larry Boy already here all we need to do is get Nixels in here and maybe have a session of romper room. Just kidding Big Wan

Keep the good stuff coming Tony and Brian, next time I see you two I'll buy you a beverage of choice for being so entertaining.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #73
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Quote:
Ophir is a cool little village. Nothing in the way of facilities but I guess it's overflow from Telluride, wonder how expensive it is to live there?
One of the locals referred to Ophir as Slums 5th Avenue. [Shhhhhh!] No building codes and an average of 700K for a cabin.

joenuclear screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 09:05 PM
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #74
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
One of the locals referred to Ophir as Slums 5th Avenue. [Shhhhhh!] No building codes and an average of 700K for a cabin.
Heh heh! I wondered about pricing after some of the Rico locals called it a "suburb" of Telluride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I didn't even try to find the way under the tracks, I just went out to where the trail turns left away from the tracks and went over.
Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
BigWan and I enjoyed your Black Dragon/Eagle Canyon/Cat Canyon pics this morning! Thanks!
Hey LittleWan! Nice of you to stop by. Your Summer of Stupid report was one of the motivating factors for me to go on this ride.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #75
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Nice report & thanks for taking us along.