User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
skianreid OP
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
Boulder to Durango, Moab,Aspen, Steamboat, Boulder on dirt

K, Have to go to Durrango for work in a few weeks. Looking to link a route from Boulder to Durrango back to Boulder Via stops above via mostly dirt. Doing it on the 950 easy singletrack welcome. Bike is lean with minimal gear (Giant loop Mojave and Giant loop tank bag). I have extended range with 2 (1 gallon) extra rotopax on Berg Briggs racks. A rider, stand most of the time not affraid of hill climbs. Looking for imput from others who live in those zones and know the capabilities of a 950. Running excell60 front and Tak 2.5 rear with Karoo tires. Im not riding my 540 so if you live in any of those areas or have bros there can you have the help a brother out. Good food options are welcome on the route.

thanks Skian
skianreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,363
Probably need to repost this in the regionals section, rocky mtns, "It's all down hill from here" will get lots of help.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Since it hasn't been posted in regionals, I'll give you a few hints here about roads in the Durango area. Coming from the north (Montrose) you can cut across the Uncompaghre Plateau to Highway 145, then south of Telluride take Ophir Pass to Silverton and south of Silverton, turn onto Lime Creek Road. Or, again south of Telluride, take one of two routes over to Hermosa Park, CR 58 (Barlow Creek) or Scotch Creek (I recall it being a little rougher than Barlow Creek.) I don't know how the Hermosa Trail is these days, and not sure I'd take a big dual sport on it anyway but it is a single track that will take you out about 8 miles north of Durango. It has one scary section along a hillside that a mistake will put you in the Hermosa River about 50 down. I last rode it on a Honda XR500 and it was almost too big. Also from Hermosa Park you can stay on the main road to Highway 550 at the 'Ski Area Previously Known as Purgatory'.

BTW, I'll be in Durango on 9/14 and 15 for my HS reunion. But I'll be on my FJR1300.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,691
Hey Reid, I can help some from the front range over here to the west end but it is not singletrack. in general get to Summit county and ride south over Boreas. Take some of the Aspen Ridge off 285 area and four mile area out of SW South Park to get to Salida. Dirt. Depending on what you want to see, you could do Marshall Pass to Chocetopa Pass to Carneros pass to Del Norte. Part again of the CDR ride and easy dirt.

From Del Norte you can head south and head over to Platoro and back to pave to Chama NMX. Some nicer dirt roads can be connected over to Navajo Lake and quickly through Icknastyhole up to Durango from the south - nice ride. Easy dirt all the way except just north of Del Norte which is an easy bypass on CR33. They have one motel and I hear it sucks but word has it you can get permission from the town cop to let you camp in the park. Pretty cool.

OR, OR you head to Del Norte, get to Creede and up towards Lake City and take Cinnamon or Engineer over to Silverton then just 45 or so to Durango parts on pave. Those passes are a big tad harder but by this time you are the master and will easily handle the 2 easiest jeep, ATV, The new type Side by Side passenger vehicles all over the place. Those are now passenger vehicles with 2, 4, or 6 passengers. That gets scary in a crash and no so much insurance.

OR, OR come over Marshall Pass and then straight toward Whitepine and take Black Bear pass to Waunita (hot springs) and to Waunita pass to Pitkin. Head east to Gunnison then hit Lake City that way. All paved.

OR, OR, hit Waunita pass to Pitkin then take Cumberland pass to Tin Cup but not tin cup pass... harder. From Tin Cup head to Taylor Lake and Taylor River valley which is then paved. That that into Gunnison.

OR, OR, go through Gunny and then take cimmaron road to Silverjack res for camping then go west over Owl Creek Pass down to Ridgeway. Could head south on pave to Durango on the million dollar highway which is way cool paved OR,OR, go west up Dallas Divide road (great views) and look for the next left which is Silver Dollar Road which gets a little gamey but still easy to get to Telluride then south to Ophir and Ophir Pass to Silverton then on to Durango. Finishing on Pave unless you take the aforementioned Old Lime Creek Road which was the road until they built Coal Bank Pass - but is is tougher and not so smooth. It's the kind of road you take slower because of the rock to China, Good lines to take through there and very pretty. These are all pretty good easy dig bike rides unless lead by Big John. That would change all.

Look me up when you arrive - this sounds like something I really need to do to and you could help me pick up my Small BMW F800 500 pound Piglet. Benchmark Atlas is the way to go for this kind of stuff. I am not spancered by Benchmark. It's just a good ride put together with paper maps that are Extremely well done. Thank me Mr. Benchmark my old books are wearing out. I still build the GPS tracks after using the Benchmarks as it's easy to see the easy dirt and the challenging dirt roads which the new DeLorme books seemed to have missed that and downgraded their latest
releases

eddyturn screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 11:25 PM
eddyturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Hey Reid, I can help some from the front range over here to the west end but it is not singletrack. in general get to Summit county and ride south over Boreas. Take some of the Aspen Ridge off 285 area and four mile area out of SW South Park to get to Salida. Dirt. Depending on what you want to see, you could do Marshall Pass to Chocetopa Pass to Carneros pass to Del Norte. Part again of the CDR ride and easy dirt.

From Del Norte you can head south and head over to Platoro and back to pave to Chama NMX. Some nicer dirt roads can be connected over to Navajo Lake and quickly through Icknastyhole up to Durango from the south - nice ride. Easy dirt all the way except just north of Del Norte which is an easy bypass on CR33. They have one motel and I hear it sucks but word has it you can get permission from the town cop to let you camp in the park. Pretty cool.

OR, OR you head to Del Norte, get to Creede and up towards Lake City and take Cinnamon or Engineer over to Silverton then just 45 or so to Durango parts on pave. Those passes are a big tad harder but by this time you are the master and will easily handle the 2 easiest jeep, ATV, The new type Side by Side passenger vehicles all over the place. Those are now passenger vehicles with 2, 4, or 6 passengers. That gets scary in a crash and no so much insurance.

OR, OR come over Marshall Pass and then straight toward Whitepine and take Black Bear pass to Waunita (hot springs) and to Waunita pass to Pitkin. Head east to Gunnison then hit Lake City that way. All paved.

OR, OR, hit Waunita pass to Pitkin then take Cumberland pass to Tin Cup but not tin cup pass... harder. From Tin Cup head to Taylor Lake and Taylor River valley which is then paved. That that into Gunnison.

OR, OR, go through Gunny and then take cimmaron road to Silverjack res for camping then go west over Owl Creek Pass down to Ridgeway. Could head south on pave to Durango on the million dollar highway which is way cool paved OR,OR, go west up Dallas Divide road (great views) and look for the next left which is Silver Dollar Road which gets a little gamey but still easy to get to Telluride then south to Ophir and Ophir Pass to Silverton then on to Durango. Finishing on Pave unless you take the aforementioned Old Lime Creek Road which was the road until they built Coal Bank Pass - but is is tougher and not so smooth. It's the kind of road you take slower because of the rock to China, Good lines to take through there and very pretty. These are all pretty good easy dig bike rides unless lead by Big John. That would change all.

Look me up when you arrive - this sounds like something I really need to do to and you could help me pick up my Small BMW F800 500 pound Piglet. Benchmark Atlas is the way to go for this kind of stuff. I am not spancered by Benchmark. It's just a good ride put together with paper maps that are Extremely well done. Thank me Mr. Benchmark my old books are wearing out. I still build the GPS tracks after using the Benchmarks as it's easy to see the easy dirt and the challenging dirt roads which the new DeLorme books seemed to have missed that and downgraded their latest
releases
hey Eddyturn ... have always wanted to ride a few Durango trails. hope you don't mind if I look you up when I get out that way.

thanks,
charles
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote