Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
MikeLeiny OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Living off my KLR as I circumnavigate the globe, Watch!

Hey all adventure riders!

My name is Michael and I have recently embarked on an around the world lifestyle with my "Horse" (a 1996 Kawasaki KLR 650).

I aim to make this trip a sustainable Life-vacation as I ride, travel, work, and most importantly VIDEO BLOG the whole venture! www.AroundTheBlockMRL.ca

My planned route is as follows: west coast of USA south, Central America, South America, cargo ship to africa, North to Egypt, The Middle East, India, nepal and Tibet, central China, Japan, Eastern China, SE Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and finally back to Vancouver Canada. I am on no time limit as if I run out of money I'll stop and make some ;) Follow along to see what sort of shenanigans I can get myself into (and hopefully out of) next!

Ride on, and keep the shiny side up!

Michael Ryan Leinweber
MikeLeiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,643
Have fun too!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,362
sounds like a long strange trip man.

GOOD LUCK!! and Welcome to the Asylum.

here is one of your episodes which I found entertaining...

FatherX screwed with this post 10-17-2014 at 05:02 PM
FatherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Vin
Addict

Oddometer: 86
I'm in...

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post about your adventure. As a dreamer/planner I've garnered a lot of good info from ride reports. I've got a 2016 departure date planned and piles of lists and spreadsheets to go with it.
One item that seems lacking is cost. If you don't mind, please occasionally post how much gas is, what are the border crossing fees, hostel room rates...
Have a good one.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
MikeLeiny OP
n00b

Wicked We're just getting started... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
sounds like a long strange trip man.

GOOD LUCK!! and Welcome to the Asylum.

here is on of your episodes which I found entertaining...

You like this one, just wait for Peru
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
raj914
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
In.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
MikeLeiny OP
n00b

Chase your dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post about your adventure. As a dreamer/planner I've garnered a lot of good info from ride reports. I've got a 2016 departure date planned and piles of lists and spreadsheets to go with it.
One item that seems lacking is cost. If you don't mind, please occasionally post how much gas is, what are the border crossing fees, hostel room rates...
Have a good one.
For the most part I couch surf, basically playing a game of "6 degrees of separation" staying with friends of friends and family of chance encounters. When a warm bed/couch is out of sight I camp, which is cheap to free depending on where u land.

Canada: Gas averages $1.25/L ($5g) motel I stayed at around $70 a night. Check in later and you'll often get a discount as motels acant make money on empty space ;)

Free border crossing (A canadian passport is one hell of a document allowing entry into 170 countries without prior paperwork)

USA: gas averages $4g and motels around the same, but again camping and couch surfing is key :)

Being as I am only to Portland (after 2.5 months on the road ;) I'll keep you posted as the trip gets "Wilder" :)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
ross
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I look forward to updates. How many miles on the KLR at the start? bike pics and mods please
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
MikeLeiny OP
n00b

Hello, my name is HORSE

Hello Neigh-bours!

My name is Horse and I am the KLR brave/stupid enough to carry Michael on this whirlwind tour Around The Block.

I have been well-trained/broken in by a man named "Paul Fleck" a geologist out of Calgary Alberta. Him and I cut our hooves for 25,000km mostly in Canada's North and Alaska. The primary mods I have grown accustomed to are:
- progressive front suspension
- Aluminum skid plate
- Saddle bags/luggage
- improved kickstand for soft ground
- Heated Grips
- DC power outlet run to back fender
- Low Profile front fender, as the stock one liked to catch the wind
- and neoprene fork sleeves to keep down noise

There was a time I had a different set of rollbars on my front end, but on our first expedition where Michael thought he'd hop on and ride 1000km to chase some tail I opted to buck his rookie ass off as a lesson in humility, this broke my old bars (now upgraded to carry luggage, I help him he helps me ;) along with breaking Michaels collarbone which ensured he took the time nessicary to properly prepare for our expedition.

http://aroundtheblockmrl.ca/episode-7/

Since this time Michael has added a Corbin "Flat" KLR seat

As well as had a very humbling lesson on the importance of chain lube, which negated my previous mod of a 16tooth gear.

I read 30,000km when I volunteered for this trip and left Michaels in Alberta with 32,000km on the Odometer.

We are now sitting around 36,000km but are just getting started, as we have entered I to a pact. We are both going to do this tour in its entirety. If we crack my frame we will rebuild on a new one, if we reach a leg I cannot do on my fuel reserves (ie desert) we will part me out, load me on camels, and carry me along the route. If someone steals me they better know how to hide me as Michael will retrieve me like Statham in the transporter ;) Basically we're a couple of rookies and were in this together!

LETS GET WILD!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
ficoszac
y...ahora???

Oddometer: 155
Thumb

Good luck amigo!!
ficoszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
fabriktr
Build it if you can.

Oddometer: 18
I,m in. KLR,s rock!
fabriktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #12
nonamehorse
Concrete Jungle

Oddometer: 149
Around the world? On a KLR? Cakewalk! Good luck and have fun!