User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
z06 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wild West Ride 2014

Cousin Jerry and I have been talking/planning a six month long motorcycle ride through western US and to Prudhoe Bay AK. The trip is on.
Jerry left VA March 19 headed for San Antonio Tx to visit with an old high school friend. I left FL on March 29th headed for somewhere in TX to meet up with my riding partner. We meet up on April 2nd at Monahans Sandhills State Park near Odessa.
We are riding Yamaha Super Teneres and pulling Bushtec trailers to haul some creature comforts like 4 man tents, cots, chairs and more. Primarily camping with a motel thrown in once in awhile.
Have two definite locations planned with everywhere else one day at a time.
First Is San Diego Ca to visit Jerry's old ship. He was stationed on USS Midway during Vietman.
Second is Prudhoe Bay Ak.
We are currently in NM taking a motel night to catch up on the blog, etc.
Will post on here as time and wifi allows. This should be an epic trip. You can follow along on blog at www.wwr2014.com.
Spot link http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...nmxoicTGbdZoFy
Living the Dream
z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
mxboard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I'm in!

I'm looking forward to some pictures.

Salley
mxboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
jdb500
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sounds like a great trip. I'll be heading from FL to CA in a couple months. Let me know any good motorcycle camping spots you'd recommend for a lone rider.
Looking forward to the pics
jdb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
busdriver803
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Lookin good!

Found your blog and will be following along.
How is the Tenere and the trailer setup working out?
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
z06 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboard View Post
I'm looking forward to some pictures.

Salley
For now best way to see pictures is at the blog.
www.wwr2014.com
Will try to get some on here also.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
z06 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver803 View Post
Found your blog and will be following along.
How is the Tenere and the trailer setup working out?

I built the hitches for our bikes last year. Cousin has pulled his trailer almost 14000 miles and I have right 11000 on mine with no issues. We did a 7000 mile trip last September up East coast into Nova Scotia. Bike pulls them fine.
My bike now has 38000 miles total on it. I have built half dozen of these hitches for other Tenere owners also.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
z06 OP
Adventurer

We rode north through the Santa Fe National Forest in NM today on way to Durango CO. Never below 6200 ft during our 330 mile ride. High as 10230 at summit of La MANGA pass. Plenty of snow still in that area. Beautiful day with temps in low to mid 60's all day long.
Attached Images

z06 screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 11:45 PM
Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
z06 OP
Adventurer

Today Jerry and I left Durango and rode to Moab. Going to base camp there and ride/see the area for next four or five days. Get a little dirt on the tires.
Stopped at Four Corners and stood in four states at same time. CO, UT, Az and NM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
z06 OP
Adventurer

Little update. First day in Moab we spent in Arches National Park. Like being on a foreign planet. Awesome Park.
Today we rode from Moab to Telluride CO and back. Rode National Forest dirt roads over north end of La Sal mountain. Plenty of snow at the 9000 foot elevation we hit. In Telluride we rode as far as we could go up exit side of Black Bear Pass. While standing there taking pictures we heard something like thunder and looked up to see an avalanche. Very cool! Saw 13 more in the 30 minutes we where there. Rode some very scenic/curvy roads without the trailers today. 311 miles in the mountains including 28 in the dirt. Fantastic day.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
z06 OP
Adventurer

Third day in Moab we rode to Canyonlands National Park. While in park we rode down Shafers Trail to the White Rim Trail. Took White Rim to Musselmans Arch. Took the pictures and rode back up Shafers.
Fourth day in Moab rained all day. Laundry day.
Fifth day in Moab was bike maintenance day. Later in the afternoon we rode over to Potato Salad Hill and watch the rock climbing. This is Jeep Safari week so lots of climbers to show off.
Today we back tracked a little and visited Mesa Verde National Park in CO. Home of the Ancestral Pueblo cliff dwellers.
Having a great time.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
AKwriter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Following Closely

I'll be following your trip with interest. And I'll be a couple of weeks behind you, mirroring at least some of your route, coming up from Dallas. Be careful on the Haul Road. It's still pretty nasty this early in the year. We had spitting snow here (just north of Anchorage) today.
AKwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
z06 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKwriter View Post
I'll be following your trip with interest. And I'll be a couple of weeks behind you, mirroring at least some of your route, coming up from Dallas. Be careful on the Haul Road. It's still pretty nasty this early in the year. We had spitting snow here (just north of Anchorage) today.

Won't be riding haul road until mid June or so. One of the advantages of having six months to do the ride. Still have to be concerned about rain I guess.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
AKwriter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06 View Post
Won't be riding haul road until mid June or so. One of the advantages of having six months to do the ride. Still have to be concerned about rain I guess.
I drove up (in a truck) past Circle to do some fly fishing last year about that time. We had three great days, caught lots of grayling on the south fork of the Koyokuk. Take the little road to the left before you cross the bridge as you're heading north. You can ride down and set up camp on the bank on the river. We had the place to ourselves. I'm planning a ride back up there when I get my bike home.
You're right about the rain. That road gets snotty when when wet.
Six months. I'm envious. Sounds like you are making the most of every day. Thanks for letting us tag along.

M
AKwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
z06 OP
Adventurer

Yesterday we rode down the Moki Dugway and thru monument valley.
Today we did Grand Canyon. WOW!! Staying in Route 66 Motel tonight.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
z06 OP
Adventurer

Left AZ and rode down 95 to 62 the forgotten road across part of the Mojave Desert up 18 to Big Bear Lake Ca. One section of 95 was 107 miles with nothing on it. Big Bear was nice. Next day rode most of the day in the twisties down to San Diego. Spent Monday touring the USS Midway which Jerry was on in 1973 to 1975. He was electronics engineer on Grumman E2-B Hawkeye radar plane.