Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #91
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Glad you are both ok! Best wishes on whatever you decide to do.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #92
fulviapaulo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Such a bad luck but glad to hear you're fine! Bikes and funds can always be repaired, mended, whatever... one's body is always harder.

On your trip, regardless of useful advices and tips, it's ultimately up to you to decide what to do next. No matter what your option will be, I'll be waiting for you guys and possibly Almeida II here in Portugal If you need something in El Salvador or Colombia, just send me a PM.

Hopefully this is only a see you soon... Até já!!!

8? Honda QR50 (my kids bike)
91 Aprilia RX50 (first bike)
93 Honda AfricaTwin
98 Husaberg FE400
05 Honda Zoomer
ex-88 Honda Dominator (2008-2009)
72 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S
79 Ford Capri 2.0S
00 Land Rover Defender 110SW (sadly missed)
fulviapaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #93
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Hey guys,

Bummer, don't let this get you down though. They say there are two kinds of riders, those who have been down and those who are going to go down. Yall have put on a LOT of miles, so do not be too frustrated with yourselves.

Would it be possible to have a bike sent to you from Canada? Then you could have your folks register it at home before it goes down there.

Also you will have to forgive me, but there are welders in every city, why not get the frame welded, fix the bike and continue onward? If you need a flight home then fly home for a week or two with the bike in storage and continue onwards. Or... I think you could always stick the bike on a ship and ship it across the gap to Colombia now. I know you would miss a few countries but the money saved from missing a couple countries would perhaps make up for some of the funds to fly home, or fix the bike etc.

Hey if you do decide to go back to Canada I am sure everyone you know will support your choice. (So long as you feel it is the right thing for the both of you. We just all know how much yall have said you enjoy the trip so far, and want to give you hope.)

Best wishes from our family and we will be praying for you both!

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #94
paulotex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
We were planning on working in Portugal for a year, anyway, so the additional cost to fix the bike wouldn't have ended the trip.
About working in Portugal: remember we have a big economical crisis here, with un-employment above 13%. If you don't have a job offer already, it might not be easy to get work here that pays well. So planning on money you'll make in Portugal to continue the trip might not be a good idea.

I'm glad you're both ok, and the bike is the only thing that got seriously damadged. When you feel like it, please tell what happened. I'd sure like to know.

Best of luck to both, thanks for taking us along your trip.
paulotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #95
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
Bummer, don't let this get you down though. They say there are two kinds of riders, those who have been down and those who are going to go down. Yall have put on a LOT of miles, so do not be too frustrated with yourselves.
+1. You have ridden a long way and have become an experienced rider - but everyone crashes sometime. Street crashes are scary but you are ok.

You will come to the right decision.
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #96
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulotex View Post
About working in Portugal: remember we have a big economical crisis here, with un-employment above 13%. If you don't have a job offer already, it might not be easy to get work here that pays well. So planning on money you'll make in Portugal to continue the trip might not be a good idea.

I'm glad you're both ok, and the bike is the only thing that got seriously damadged. When you feel like it, please tell what happened. I'd sure like to know.
Paula thought she'd be able to get a job, at least. We were thinking about working at a resort in the Algarve. I also thought about doing my old job through the internet since most of my work is done using a computer.

The accident was mostly my fault. I made a dumb-ass move of using the shoulder of the road to go around a guy. We I did, he suddenly pulled off the road, forcing us into a concrete sewage ditch and hitting a stone wall head on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
Hey guys,

Bummer, don't let this get you down though. They say there are two kinds of riders, those who have been down and those who are going to go down.
Thanks, Brian. I'm not letting it get me down, and I am not done with this trip. Paula was a bit shaken, and really wants to go home, for at least a while.

I was thinking that, since we are already way behind schedule, we'll fly home to work for a while instead of taking a work break in Portugal. I have already spoken with my work, and I know I have my job to go back to. This will allow us to make the money we need and have the time to rebuild the bike if it is repairable. After 6-7 months of working, and, if the bike is fixed, we'll decide whether or not to continue the trip. If we do, we'll likely fly down to Colombia and continue from there in November or December. This will put us on schedule to get down to Tierra del Fuego before it gets too cold, which we definitely will not be able to do now.

We are currently arranging shipment of the bike and air tickets home. We haven't told our families yet, so they'll be quite surprised when we show up at their front doors.

Here are a few quick photos of the wreck:

Paula looking usually happy after flying off the back of the bike and dusting herself off

The damage

The scene of the accident

We barely missed this pole

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #97
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,702
I am very sorry for your mis-fortune! May the trip resume ASAP and of course when you are both ready!

BTW, I have a 2007 ADV just like your's! No, you can't have any parts.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #98
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
BTW, I have a 2007 ADV just like your's! No, you can't have any parts.
Not just the front fender and two side panels?

I might have to bite the bullet and get these new, unless I can find someone to sell them used.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #99
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,896
I am truly sorry to hear you have been stopped in your track, you guys were well on your way, what a bummer.

At least you were able to experience more than many people I know and you are smiling while looking at your wrecked bike, which in itself is quite an achievement. I'm sure you will regroup and start up once again soon

If you think about it you had a fantastic vacation, many dream of making it as far as you have, including myself.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #100
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
I am truly sorry to hear you have been stopped in your track, you guys were well on your way, what a bummer.

At least you were able to experience more than many people I know and you are smiling while looking at your wrecked bike, which in itself is quite an achievement. I'm sure you will regroup and start up once again soon

If you think about it you had a fantastic vacation, many dream of making it as far as you have, including myself.
Thanks! Loving your photos of San Cristobal in your Chiapas post. We had an amazing two weeks there, which we will write about and post here when we get caught up on blogging.

We've had such an awesome time on this trip, and done so many things in such a short period of time. We've only been gone less than 5 months, but we both feel that we've lived a lifetime. We want to keep going, but we both think that this is the best option for now.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #101
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,895
Just started reading your thread and so sorry to hear of your misfortune. Keep us updated on your plans.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #102
JoDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Rocky, sorry to hear of your misfortune. If the bike is coming back to Hamilton and we can be of any assistance at the shop, for storage or any repair work please let us know.

Cheers, The Team at Dual Sport Plus

JoDawg

2009 F800GS
BMWMOA #146900
JoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #103
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDawg View Post
Rocky, sorry to hear of your misfortune. If the bike is coming back to Hamilton and we can be of any assistance at the shop, for storage or any repair work please let us know.

Cheers, The Team at Dual Sport Plus
Thanks! The bike is still in El Salvador. I'm working with the logistics company to have it shipped back to Canada by sea. I've gotten a quote for just around $1,000, which isn't too bad. We're just awaiting the go-ahead from the shipping company because there was concern about shipping the bike LCL (shared crate) since it's a used bike and has gas and oil. The logistics company offered to drain the fluids if needed, so hopefully there won't be any issue.

I might need to have some work done on the rear suspension. I'll definitely give you guys a call when I need the work done. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #104
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Colorado (October 3 - October 5, 2011)

The weather was warm when we had left Moab, Utah, but it got much cooler as we entered into Colorado. It was a drastic change leaving the dry, sandy bedrock for dense fields and valleys that looked painted with autumn colors. The mountains were gorgeous with beautiful red peaks and there were areas where the soil was such a deep yellow that small rivers looked like they were flowing with liquid gold. As we rode through many switchbacks and gawked at USA s little Switzerland, I was afraid that Rocky was paying more attention to the scenery than the road because the view was truly captivating.

Darkness approached quickly as the sun set behind the tall mountains but we continued to ride so that we could escape the bitter cold of the high altitude. Once we reached Durango, Colorado, we stopped at McDonald’s to warm ourselves with a hot cup of coffee and to use their notoriously shitty free Internet to search for a public park. We rode up to what seemed to be a perfect spot to set up our tent and I immediately recognized the soft plush grass to be a sign of an irrigation system. I spent a few minutes crawled on all fours feeling for sprinklers but I wasn’t able to find any. Tired and anxious to relax , we unpacked and just as we finally got comfy the damn sprinklers turned on. I panicked at first because we were being sprayed from every direction but luckily none were spraying in our tent. Just as we had mentioned our luck, the cops arrived. It was awkward timing and I wanted to pretend I couldn’t hear him over the sound of splashing but his lights were blinding me. I needed perfect timing as I ran out of the tent to avoid getting soaked and I hoped that that was enough reason for him to allow us to stay. He asked what we were doing and he told me we would have to leave, especially since the motorcycle was prohibited from being in the park. Exhausted and irritated I had no other choice than to batt my eyelashes as I told him about our trip and explained that it was too cold, wet and dark to continue riding. My lady skills worked and he kindly gave us permission to stay for the night.

Early the next morning it was interesting to wake up to an old fashioned coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive filled with passengers as it choo-choo’d by. The park was busy with people starring at us as they jogged past and I was confused when an older man tried handing me ten dollars for breakfast. Minutes later the police showed up again but it didn’t matter what they had to say because we were leaving anyway.

After we packed up, and went to subway for breakfast, it began to rain. We decided to hang out there until the sky cleared but it only began raining harder. Shortly after arriving, the manager stopped to talk to us, he noticed the motorcycle fully loaded and was curious of our travels. We had asked if he minded us hanging out there to use the Internet as we searched for a place to go and he told us to stay as long as we needed. Hours later and with no luck couch surfing, the manager approached us and said that he had phoned his wife and got her approval to invite us to stay with his family for the night. We were very surprised and obviously happy. When we arrived at Mikes house, we were introduced to his wife Stephanie, their son Davis and daughter Stevi, they immediately made us feel very comfortable and welcomed. After a cold rainy day it felt great to have a hot shower and a bowl of stew for dinner. Mike and Stephanie were a very funny, charming couple, and their kids were extra cute. While Mike and Rocky talked about what routes we should take, I got to relax while Stevi played the piano for me. I really enjoyed hanging out with this family and I especially liked the gift and note that Stevi and Davis had made for us. It felt great to spend the night in such a comfortable environment.

The following morning we were well rested and ready to visit Mesa Verde National Park. The area features numerous ruins of homes and villages built by the Ancestral Puebloan people (sometimes called the Anasazi), and is best known for cliff dwellings, which are structures built within caves and under outcropping in cliffs. It was beautifully well preserved, and before I nearly squashed a tarantula as I was walking, I imagined that it could have been a fantastic place to live. I am not a fan of spiders, I am petrified actually but as soon as I noticed this one, I couldn’t help but stare at it for a few seconds, it was huge. As I was admiring it, a girl, maybe 7 years old, was running backwards laughing and singing. She wasn’t paying attention to where she was stepping and as she came awfully close. I had to stop her and warn her to be careful not step on the spider. She starred at me with a very bratty expression on her face, she was probably wondering what kind of person goes out of their way to protect a spider from getting stepped on. I pointed to the tarantula for her to see it and her reaction was priceless as she screamed in horror and cried hysterically. Maybe I’m mean, but I laughed about it most of the ride back into Utah.

The beautiful colours of The Colorado Rockies

Up in the mountains near Ouray, Colorado

Crystal Lake, up in The Colorado Rockies

Iron Mountian

Davis, Mike, Stephanie, Stevi and Paula

Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde National Park - Colorado

The cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde

An underground room in Mesa Verde

Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #105
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Update (May 8th, 2012):

We just finally received our motorcycle back in Canada after almost 4 months of dealing with the shipping agent. Paula and I had to get the El Salvadorian Embassy, in Toronto, involved back in February to get things moving. We've had a great offer from the guys at Dual Sport Plus, my local dual sport motorcycle shop, for some shop space to rebuild the bike and access to their mechanic.

Our plan is to see if we can rebuild the bike, and, hopefully, hit the road again at the end of the summer to continue our trip.