User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,280
Choctaw Camp and Ride

Just got back from Choctaw Recreation Area on Greers Ferry Lake from our monthly camp and ride excursion so I thought I would start a thread for people to post up their ride reports. It all started for me Friday afternoon at about 3:30 pm with my pickup loaded with bike, grille, eats and all my camping and riding gear so off I go to Choctaw. It was a cold and rainy afternoon as I headed out and it didn't get much better until I was almost to Choctaw. It was pretty decent there, spitting a little off and on but quite a nice evening. I got there about 6:30 pm and The Toyman was already there with his party tent already set up along with a couple of LA fellas, amkightrider and his buddy Sam, and HatchetDan from the Tulsa area. Arkridergc had a ballgame to attend in Pottsville and was coming in after that and CopperJohn was coming in late as well. BoHawk was going to meet up with us in the morning. I didn't find out till later that Nate Le Pain was going to hook up with us in the morning.

The next morning BoHawk shows up right on time and Nate shows up not long after. I threw in a few pictures of the campsite as it was too dark the night before to get any. Check out the TeePee. Pretty roomy inside. This was Sam's abode.

LA boys made their own cover.

We gassed up at the Citgo station in Choctaw and off we go.

HatchetDan amuses himself while we are waiting for CopperJohn to find his GPS. Evidently it fell off when we hit some chatter. Really! You attached it to your mount with velcro!!!!!!!

We all stop after a fair piece of pretty technical stuff. Everyone stops to take a colllective deep breath and talk about how fun that section was and how glad they are here to tell about it. I guess amknightrider had a little get off and Nate was with him. I am not sure if that was before or after he took a wrong turn but after about 15 minutes we were all in the same location.

Next up we are on Jeruselum Road and go by the little lake at Brock Creek. We surmised that that concrete structure was a safety valve for the dam if the water level rose to high to protect the earthen dam. If anyone knows otherwise chime in and straighten us out.

We hook up to Lindsey Motorway and ride it down to Hwy 27, This photo is looking down the Illinois Bayou East Fork toward the Blue Hole swimming area.

Nate and I, BoHawk and Copperjohn stop on this flat rock ledge and are waiting for the rest of the gang. Didn't show for a while and I think it was HatchetDan that showed up and said that Arkridergc had a flat and so we waited for about an hour. Bo finally went back but I guess they had it fixed by then so they all showed up shortly thereafter.

After that we proceeded down Lindsey Motorway to cross the Illinois Bayou. There was a goaround the big sippyhole and we took it. That sippyhole looked like a small lake now. I thought it might be dry since we hadn't had much rain lately. The Motorway had a few steep and rocky sections but no problem. We found a bunch of ATV'ers at the crossing. Someone commented that it reminded them of elephants bathing in a river in Africa.

We stopped in Hector and had a bit of a snack and headed off to Indian Creek road. We crossed the Big Piney on the way.

We stopped at the Dover Lights Overlook and then on to Indian Creek Road.

Stopped at the fork in the road to get a photo of my run of Hospital Hill (Not!) and then ran down Treat Rd to Arkridergc's camping spot and backtracked to Indian Creek Rd.

We stop for a break on Indian Creek Road. I rode this track a couple of months ago and those trees were not across the road then. This is one of the most fun roads to ride and it is about 15 miles long. I always make it a point to ride this road when I am in the area. I rode it in the opposite direction than we did on the Long Pool Dayride.

From there we head to Boyd Road and the Cedar Creek area. This is Boyd Cemetary.

When we get to Cedar Creek we ride down this cool creekbed.

We cross Cedar Creek again and had to get a photo of this little bluff.

We start to climb a little higher on our way to Mt. Judea where we stop for fuel and some eats. The weather was great until we started North and climbing. We started to get into the clouds a bit. Reminded me of the Toad Suck ride when it was so foggy. It started to get wetter and raining some as well.

It started to rain much harder when we were at Mt. Judea but it let up just as we headed out.

Our route headed up toward the Buffalo River then east toward Marshall. We ran into a gated road that caused us to make about a 25 mile reroute that ended back on our original route but we had to go south and back north quite a ways to get there. It was actually the fastest route back to Choctaw. It was about 4:30 pm when we left Mt. Judea and it was overcast, raining, and about 57 degrees. After some debate we settled on a reroute and headed out. After about a 25 mile reroute we hit Hwy 74 about 5 miles from the gated road and slabbed it back from there. We arrived in Clinton about 6:30 pm and it was pretty clear there. I never really got wet as I had a rain jacket on and all. Was pretty comfortable. I gotta say, overall, this might have been the best track we have ridden on these camp and ride events to date. Everyone had a good time. When we got back Arkridergc cooked us up some braut and hamburgers, we sat around and shot the bull for a while. CopperJohn and Arkridergc got to jammin with their guitars and everyone else sort of faded off into the night. Had a great time. Rained cats and dogs this morning and had to wait for the weather to clear up a little before we could load our bikes up and head back. One more event at Shores Lake next month. Should be a good one. See you all there, I hope.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.

OLEARY screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 10:23 AM
OLEARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,157
I miss them camping days

So I shall live by y'alls!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,232
Great pictures and report as always Tim.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Great report Oleary to bad the weather wasn't a little more cooperative. Looks like you guys had fun though.

Great pic's thanks!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,823
Cool RR Tim....
Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Great report O'Leary....
One correction, Blue Hole is not on the Illinois Bayou its in the valley south of Lindsey Motorway. Between Lindsey and White Oak Mtn overlook.

Not sure your big bikes would've been happy with the trek it takes to see it though.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Great report O'Leary....
One correction, Blue Hole is not on the Illinois Bayou its in the valley south of Lindsey Motorway. Between Lindsey and White Oak Mtn overlook.

Not sure your big bikes would've been happy with the trek it takes to see it though.
Thanks for the info. Actually, BoHawk told me it was one of the Blue Holes and that there were several swimming holes called that around there but what do I know? It was still a pretty cool looking spot. I wish we would have had time to hike back in there and check it out at close range.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Great report Oleary to bad the weather wasn't a little more cooperative. Looks like you guys had fun though.

Great pic's thanks!
That gated road that caused our reroute was the same one we ran into when we were going to Hurricane River Cave up North of the Buffalo River. I recognized it but didn't get a picture to show you. I thought I had it marked on my Waypoints file but you can be sure that it is in there now.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Great ride report and pics, looks like y'all had quite an adventure.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
Looks like a great ride! The rain didn't look too fun but at least you got to sleep in late, nothing better than a nice rain while sleeping in a tent.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
apostle2
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
We surmised that that concrete structure was a safety valve for the dam if the water level rose to high to protect the earthen dam. If anyone knows otherwise chime in and straighten us out.

Yep, that's an overflow pipe for the lake. Man I've never seen the lake that low before. Glad you guys had a good time. Thaks for the pictures.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post
Yep, that's an overflow pipe for the lake. Man I've never seen the lake that low before. Glad you guys had a good time. Thaks for the pictures.
The Forest Service revamping Brock Creek, the lake is going to be 3x its normal size. they're going to advertise it as a fishing destination. Not closing OHV access, but it is going to piss more than a few off, its going to close numerous ATV trails around the lake.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
First all, I want to say it was a real privilege riding with everyone. The route, the leadership and the groceries were all great. I really enjoyed myself. Secondly, I didn't take nearly as many pics, as I should have but I'll post what I got. I also took some video but it was hit/miss and I'll need to condense it before I send it to YouTube.

I had a scheduling conflict but as the wet weather set in, the Chain Gang canceled their event in Mena. Lucky for me, I hit the road early Saturday, to join the Choctaw ride. In the last 2 months, I've new brake pads, tires, sprockets, a chain, a 12v socket, an oil change and even re-soldered the ABS switch. So, I figured the bike was ready to roll...

I let my place around 5:45am and came through Conway just after 6:00am, Saturday morning. I decided to check all my lights again and to my surprise, my tail light was out. So I zipped around to Walmart, looking for a bulb and but as it turned out, it was a blown fuse. Thankfully, I had some fuses that I've carried for 47K miles, in my BMW OEM toolkit. I got the bike all buttoned up and I was back on the road at 6:45.

I pulled into Choctaw around 7:25am but couldn't find the group. Stupid GPS... It wasn't long until Copper John showed up and he showed me where everyone was staying. We pulled in, in time, to see Toyman trying to bring his pig into submission. So after he kicked it, drug it and threw it on the ground, the XR650 finally relinquished and fired off. We fuel up in Choctaw and hit the road.

After the first few feet of dirt, the Orange BMW starts loosing parts(stupid GPS ). This bike must have KTM blood, in it.. So we wait, while John goes looking for parts.

Now we're back on the road, with blue skies and a cool breeze...

Once we get back to dirt, en route to Brook Creek, I failed to any pics but I can tell you the road was fun, especially the missed turn.

While ArkriderGC is fixing a flat, we wait and shoot the breeze.

And then comes the rest of the group.

So here I missed video and pics of the mudholes and the water crossing...

We stop at the Piney Overlook for glamor shots...

Oleary feeling his oats and contemplating Hospital Hill.

Lots of downed trees, a couple air pressure checks and plenty of GPS discussions.

Next, we're back on pavement, thinking about gas and grub at Mt. Judea..

Regrettably, this is were my photos end. Technical difficulties and shear carelessness, caused me to run out of memory on two cards...

So I don't have pics of the fog, the shortbed Ford doing donuts in the street, the creek crossings, the black KLR running like a scalded dog, the excellent dinner(Thx Gary) or Oleary's "SHUT THE %#&* UP and Ride" moment.

After dinner, I saddle up for a few miles to home. I rolled in about 10:30pm, totally wore out but thankful for a safe trip, a fine motorcycle, excellent company and the beautiful state of Arkansas.

nlp

*Send me a PM, if you want an unedited photo copy*

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex

NateLePain screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 09:09 PM
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Great reports and pics guys. I made 2 attempts last night but I guess ADVrider site was slammed because it crashed me off twice. I'll try again later today.
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
Do tell about Olearys "shut the f up and ride moment!" I like the sounds of that already.