Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Oddometer: 53
KTM 450EXC Vinyl or paint on Acerbis 13L tank?

Hey all,

Got a new graphics kit from Ride PG and I'm wanting to get it installed.

I have the stock as well as the 13L Acerbis MXC/XC tank as pictured here:

RidePG made me a custom large tank graphic as I ride more often with that tank. The tank is old and the graphics are worn.

I am trying to get the old graphics off and I don't know what it is and the best way to remove from the plastic tank. I dont really feel an edge like on vinyl, it's definitely not very thick. Feels like paint, but also want to prep the tank properly. New custom large tank graphic is slotted to help make it last longer, but this graphic has been on here for years with only very little wear.

Any thoughts on best removal procedure, or just vinyl over it?

Cheers,
Mike
photomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Brtp4
Powdercoat it.

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomike View Post
Hey all,

Got a new graphics kit from Ride PG and I'm wanting to get it installed.

I have the stock as well as the 13L Acerbis MXC/XC tank as pictured here:

RidePG made me a custom large tank graphic as I ride more often with that tank. The tank is old and the graphics are worn.

I am trying to get the old graphics off and I don't know what it is and the best way to remove from the plastic tank. I dont really feel an edge like on vinyl, it's definitely not very thick. Feels like paint, but also want to prep the tank properly. New custom large tank graphic is slotted to help make it last longer, but this graphic has been on here for years with only very little wear.

Any thoughts on best removal procedure, or just vinyl over it?

Cheers,
Mike
Hello Mike. I just worked through that on an 05 MXC I recently purchased. On the advice of a friend who is a t-shirt printer, I used acetone on a rag to remove that factory logo, which is printed on the tank. It worked well.

I am also looking to get a large decal for the tank. Do you mind posting up a pic of yours?

Thanks,
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 453
I have that tank on my 450. The sticker I so carefully applied all fell off after a few weeks. They won't hold.

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,249
If it is anything like a Safari tank they will blister and peal off because the plastic allows fuel vapours to pass through it which dissolves the adhesive and causes the blisters. The graphics need to be perforated to have any chance of staying put and even then it will be temporary.

I understand there are some plastic tanks that go through a process that seals them, so if yours is one of those you might be OK.

My KTM690 Adventure

2008 250 Beta Rev3 - Trials with lots of errors
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtp4 View Post
hello mike. I just worked through that on an 05 mxc i recently purchased. On the advice of a friend who is a t-shirt printer, i used acetone on a rag to remove that factory logo, which is printed on the tank. It worked well.

I am also looking to get a large decal for the tank. Do you mind posting up a pic of yours?

Thanks,
bp
Name:  ktm big tank.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 02-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

These are perforated/slotted so the hope is to get them to last as long as possible......., thanks for the heads up on the acetone. Was worried about degrading the plastic. My auto mech recommended iso alcohol, but it doesn't seem to work very fast.

I figure if the printing on this tank has lasted this long with he tank vapors, the slotted vinyl should work fine.

Will post up once I get them installed. Also Ride PG was awesome to work with.....
Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
I have that tank on my 450. The sticker I so carefully applied all fell off after a few weeks. They won't hold.
blackSP, nice looking 450! Did you get perf'd MX vinyl or a regular adhesive sticker?

photomike screwed with this post 02-25-2015 at 03:38 PM
Old 02-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
If it is anything like a Safari tank they will blister and peal off because the plastic allows fuel vapours to pass through it which dissolves the adhesive and causes the blisters. The graphics need to be perforated to have any chance of staying put and even then it will be temporary.

I understand there are some plastic tanks that go through a process that seals them, so if yours is one of those you might be OK.
This has kinda been the problem, I was trying to find out what kind of plastic this was. I got no help from KTM USA (called cust support) on the tank material and they said it's an old tank and they dont stock the tank anymore. I can see it on KTM parts website for sale. Then I called Acerbis and they said "it's KTM hard parts, different division entirely from us, ask them" so I got no real answer as to what type of plastic this tank is made of.

I've seen some stuff you can put in the tank to help seal it, but unsure if I want to go that route or not...... If this is a printed decal on the plastic, wouldn't the gas fumes take the ink/print/paint right off as well as adhesive?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hello Mike. I just worked through that on an 05 MXC I recently purchased. On the advice of a friend who is a t-shirt printer, I used acetone on a rag to remove that factory logo, which is printed on the tank. It worked well.

Thanks,
BP
http://www.motosportstemplates.com/ktm.html
Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
If this is a printed decal on the plastic, wouldn't the gas fumes take the ink/print/paint right off as well as adhesive?
My guess is factory painted graphics tend to be small and the way the paint is applied perhaps allows it to breathe. I put similar sized perforated graphics as yours on my 690 Safari tank, and they did stay in place but I was forever popping blisters with a pin. My last crash wiped one side clean off....but hardly surprising as it nearly remove half the tank in the process

You could just cover one side of the tank with some wide strips of cello tape and leave it for a couple of days with some gas in it....you'll find out pdq if its a sealed one or not.

My KTM690 Adventure

2008 250 Beta Rev3 - Trials with lots of errors
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
Brtp4
Powdercoat it.

Any decals will eventually come off, but if they are perf'd, they will last quite well.

Thanks for the help.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
My guess is factory painted graphics tend to be small and the way the paint is applied perhaps allows it to breathe. I put similar sized perforated graphics as yours on my 690 Safari tank, and they did stay in place but I was forever popping blisters with a pin. My last crash wiped one side clean off....but hardly surprising as it nearly remove half the tank in the process

You could just cover one side of the tank with some wide strips of cello tape and leave it for a couple of days with some gas in it....you'll find out pdq if its a sealed one or not.
I'll try the tape test to see how good this may hold. Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #13
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Any decals will eventually come off, but if they are perf'd, they will last quite well.

Thanks for the help.

BP
BP,

No worries.

The template purchase was a winner. It came out perfect.

Thanks for the heads up on the perf'd vinyl. Post up what you end up doing on your bike, and I'll share mine here once I get it done.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
Brtp4
Powdercoat it.

Quote:
BP,

No worries.

The template purchase was a winner. It came out perfect.

Thanks for the heads up on the perf'd vinyl. Post up what you end up doing on your bike, and I'll share mine here once I get it done.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks. Looking forward to it. On mine, it was progressing nicely, with all new controls, new plastics, a little cerakoating on the pipe.....

but momentum spun up quickly, and current status is somewhat deeper than I had initially planned:

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
photomike OP
Top-notch MoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtp4 View Post
thanks. Looking forward to it. On mine, it was progressing nicely, with all new controls, new plastics, a little cerakoating on the pipe.....

but momentum spun up quickly, and current status is somewhat deeper than i had initially planned:

bp
wow!