Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #31
dezracer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Hmmm...good info from all.For now Im going to go with new springs and a rebuild,fresh oil, front and back,and see what happens.I will report back for everyones information.

Suspension by Super Plush
Rekluse Pro Auto Clutch
WINGS N.O.S Exhaust
Euro Headlight with PIAA bulbs
KTM Hard Parts Radiator Cover
CJ Racer Clear Spoke Clutch Cover
Hilslamer Long Pegs
GPR Stabilizer
DH Racing tripleclamps
'300' Throttle Cam
16t CS Sprocket
Mefo "Super Explorers"
Ram Mount Garmin 76c
PABIKER sidestand relocaton kit.
2007 KTM 300XC (long live lightweight 2-strokes)

Las Vegas, NV and the Great Mojave Desert
dezracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #32
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead
Never bottom out on my 2000 LC4E, but then I only weigh 150lbs...for me the stockers seem correct (which would suggest that of you weigh 170+ they will not be correct...).
I ride fairly aggresively and find the stock forks and shock setup OK.
I weigh 170 without gear.

One key for me was to get the appropriate oil level in the front fork. If you have too much oil it rides too harsh.

Last time I did the forks I used 5W oil 165 mm from the top (no springs full compressed). This was too harsh. I took 32 cc out of each leg last week and it was much better on the very rough Schnitzel Ride (see ride reports). No more harsh hits and beter control in the rough rocky stuff. I´m happy again.

Small differences in oil level make significant differences of fork harshness.

Steve - 99 LC4e with right side up forks
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #33
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban

One key for me was to get the appropriate oil level in the front fork. If you have too much oil it rides too harsh.

Last time I did the forks I used 5W oil 165 mm from the top (no springs full compressed). This was too harsh. I took 32 cc out of each leg last week and it was much better on the very rough Schnitzel Ride (see ride reports). No more harsh hits and beter control in the rough rocky stuff. I´m happy again.

what did your manual say for the oil level and weight?
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #34
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
Steve,

That's good info, I'm glad you mentioned it because no one else had.

FWIW, the right side up WP's that were on the '99 and some '00 bikes are, IMO, some of the best forks I have ever had the pleasure to ride on. The later USD WP's are, IMO, not as good.

Again, The '05 45mm forks are different then the 43mm USD's that were on some '00's up to '03.

At 170lbs on a LC4E, I'd expect the OE setup to be pretty good with that RSU fork. The Adventures are about 40lbs heavier, and much of that is on the fork, which is why they need a little help, IMO.

When you weigh 240 with gear, it needs lots of help.

The suspension on these bikes is really premium, top shelf stuff. It's worth it to dial it in if the rider is in any way unhappy with it, as it can be made to be excellent.

Just another $0.02 from me.

Quote:

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #35
dezracer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Anyone the stock spring rates for the forks on an 01..(my manual is up at the cabin with the bike). Thanks.

Suspension by Super Plush
Rekluse Pro Auto Clutch
WINGS N.O.S Exhaust
Euro Headlight with PIAA bulbs
KTM Hard Parts Radiator Cover
CJ Racer Clear Spoke Clutch Cover
Hilslamer Long Pegs
GPR Stabilizer
DH Racing tripleclamps
'300' Throttle Cam
16t CS Sprocket
Mefo "Super Explorers"
Ram Mount Garmin 76c
PABIKER sidestand relocaton kit.
2007 KTM 300XC (long live lightweight 2-strokes)

Las Vegas, NV and the Great Mojave Desert
dezracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #36
Airhead
More human than human

Oddometer: 2,099
Going through decent sized whoops this weekend at 40-50mph both front and rear suspension worked extremely well, stock set-up, close to stock compression and rebound settings. The WP stuff is, really, outstanding. And I do have the regular, non USD forks...sweet!
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #37
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
what did your manual say for the oil level and weight?
I have not been home to see the manual for a week otherwise I would let you know.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #38
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,146
Quote:
I have not been home to see the manual for a week otherwise I would let you know.
there is a link in the Index Thread to my Yahoo Briefcase that has lots of manuals. not sure if the one you need is there - checking - but you could look yourself too.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #39
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
Just everybody hold your horses for a minute.

Make sure the first thing you do is set your sag (front & rear) correctly and then do all the correct calculations to determine if your springs are too hard or too soft!!!!

I've ridden too many bikes that where the settings were never changed from factory or the rider simply didn't know how to set the suspension up properly to start with.

So before you start dishing out the big bucks for all the (sometimes un-needed) upgrades/changes, make sure you need it!

I hate to see people throw away money when they don't have to...
Old 08-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #40
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,146
velo is right on that point, follow the correct setup proceedure and then see if you need to spend the dough. plus if they are not setup properly you could damage them (according to WP and the good shops who work on suspensions).

that said i have never heard anyone say that the LC4s are setup for anything but a 165lb rider so if you are bigger you likely will need upgrades for the WP stuff to be all it can be...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #41
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I stumbled into the Race-Tech parking lot by accident last week while looking for a gas station. I have been wanting to get a set of springs for my 2003 SXC since I got it. Well I guess it was fate that lead me there so I went in and grabbed a set of .50 springs to support my chunky 235lbs lard ass. While I was at it I scored a set of gold valves. Today I ordered a set of Synergy Seals and an instructional DVD on rebuilding WP forks. I ride pretty hard and I don't have much problem bottoming the front end. I am also going to install a set of fork bleeders while I have the caps off.
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #42
raydawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Mars,

A grand on the set-up? Did you buy some tools too? I was thinking of giving it a go and doing mine (LC4-E) myself but decided to let Precision Concepts in Murrietta, CA do it for me. I droped them my bike and got it back a week later with a very wonderful set-up. This cost about $750 with them doing all the work. Changed the springs and worked the valves/shims. My seals were good. At 235 adn 6'3' the stock set-up wasn't too flash but new was great.

I know they do these things by mail too. I read about them having you buy a hard gun case (rifle) and shiping your suspension to them this way. I think of the $750 I spent $150 was for them R&R the suspension parts. Might be an option for some of you.

RayDawg
raydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #43
Rocamojo
Toasted on both sides

Oddometer: 59
Raydawg,

I'm curious as to what issues you had with your bike. Too soft overall, excessive bottoming, harshness...what? What spring rates did PC install? I'm considering them for my revalve and would be interested on what they did well...or poorly.

Thanks
Rocamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #44
raydawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Rocamojo,

Mine were the typical fat boy issues. Bottoming the front suspension with a handfull of brake. Akward feel to the suspension in general, leading to lack of confidence when riding. Messed with the settings a bit first 1,000 miles but couldn't get it right. What I asked for was a dual-sport setting and candidly, haven't touched it since I picked it up 1,200 miles later. It was flat out a huge difference. I don't have my spec sheet with me here at work but, I believe they went to 50 front springs and an aftermarket rear 10? on adapted holders on the back. I'll try to remember to bring the sheet in tomorrow so I can send it to you if you'd like. By the way these were really nice folks to deal with. There in the same building as Temecula Motorsports if you know the area. Just a bit south of Three Brother's KTM.

Since I had the work done I've been riding up in Wyoming and in Ouray CO. The set-up felt great both times. It was a bit soft 2-up with my 100 lb daughter on the back in CO. but, the front was still working well.

IF you do send you suspension in they have a work sheet for you to fill out so they can taylor their work to your needs.

RayDawg
raydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #45
Rocamojo
Toasted on both sides

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
I'll try to remember to bring the sheet in tomorrow so I can send it to you if you'd like.
If you don't mind and its not any inconvenience, I'd appreciate it as I'm starting to lean towards using them for my revalve.

Thanks!
Rocamojo is offline   Reply With Quote