Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #61
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
.... I am currently looking in to ways to make the suspension on my SXC to feel more like a new EXC, but I may just be beating a dead horse! Hopefully revalving is everything its made up to be.
Get thee to a professional shop, one recommended by the gang, and I hear they will take care of you. Resprung/revalved the suspension is supposed to be the #1 mod for the LC4s.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #62
v8turbo
When in Doubt.... Gas it.

Oddometer: 695
precision concepts.
v8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #63
The Cheat
Tard

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Get thee to a professional shop, one recommended by the gang, and I hear they will take care of you. Resprung/revalved the suspension is supposed to be the #1 mod for the LC4s.

Sold the SXC and bought a EXC 450! For the type of riding I do it seems to fit the bill much better and the suspension is almost perfect!
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 AM   #64
solamente
This is not amusing.

Oddometer: 67
I've noticed that there's no mention of Super Plush Suspensions in this thread. (Thumper riders seem to prefer Precision Concepts, instead.) In Silverdog's post "suspension shop" though, Orange Crush riders prefer Super Plush Suspension 3:1.

What's up with that?!

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
solamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 AM   #65
solamente
This is not amusing.

Question Gold valves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC
While I was at it I scored a set of gold valves.
What are these "gold valves" that you speak of?

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #66
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Gold valves are from Race Tech. In my opinion they are a waste of $$ on a KTM. Gold valves increase the flow through the Base Valve. In older japanese MX bikes there was some benefit. But KTM forks already have huge flowing Base Valves and Mid Valves. A lot of the hot setups for KTM MX bikes have less flow not more.

I like the stock valves with my setups. Arranging the shim stacks and building up a real mid valve is a HUGE improvement over stock.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #67
solamente
This is not amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solamente
I've noticed that there's no mention of Super Plush Suspensions in this thread. (Thumper riders seem to prefer Precision Concepts, instead.) In Silverdog's post "suspension shop" though, Orange Crush riders prefer Super Plush Suspension 3:1.
FWIW: I've been exchanging e-mails with James Sidall of Super Plush Suspensions and have decided to have him do the work. While I'm in S.F. I can stop by Scuderia and pick up jets for the BST 40 and inquire about the main shaft roller bearing PM.

2002 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro
2008 KTM 990 Adventure S
Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #68
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by solamente
FWIW: I've been exchanging e-mails with James Sidall of Super Plush Suspensions and have decided to have him do the work. While I'm in S.F. I can stop by Scuderia and pick up jets for the BST 40 and inquire about the main shaft roller bearing PM.
Scuderia is a great, no, a fantastic shop, but they can be light on LC4 parts - demand plays a role eh? Might want to pre-order the parts so they are there for you, unless you are going back. If they can't get them easily, creeper said that HD stores carry the same jets for their carbs (check out his setup thread in the index for particulars).

Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #69
DBGcooper
Flying Old Fart

Oddometer: 66
I have a 07 640, which I bought for the height, I am 6'4", but after purchasing and riding the bike I read it was only sprung for a rider of 165 lbs. - I go 245. I did some research and sent my Shock to Jeff Slavens at Slevens racing for a 9kg spring and a revalve. I plan on doing the forks as well, but my dealer in N.H said they could take care of this. Spring rate for them will be 50 or 52. Good Luck DBG
DBGcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #70
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGcooper
I have a 07 640, which I bought for the height, I am 6'4", but after purchasing and riding the bike I read it was only sprung for a rider of 165 lbs. - I go 245. I did some research and sent my Shock to Jeff Slavens at Slevens racing for a 9kg spring and a revalve. I plan on doing the forks as well, but my dealer in N.H said they could take care of this. Spring rate for them will be 50 or 52. Good Luck DBG
I weigh in at 200 and went with the 52's with an additional 17 mm of preload with the oil height at 140. They work great for me.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #71
Mtncrzr
Just Kidding, not really

Oddometer: 1,210
Thumb I revalved and it works!

Well, I have finished revalving my front forks on my 02' 640 Adventure. The shock was sent to Zerodog for a refresh and revalve too.

The verdict: It stays up in the stroke farther and sucks up the little bumps easily; before they were harsh on expansion cracks on the street. Before when I would compress the front end for a log or rock, the front end would not come back up quickly enough to pop a wheelie. Now the forks are much more responsive and it is easier to lift the front end. It feels lively instead of dead now.

The rear shock is plusher and I am able to adjust it now that it has new oil and nitrogen in it. Zerodog said the oil was black and almost totally leaked out (no nitrogen charge either). It was kind of like a spring on a stick and my ass was the dampening circuit (sit down for more dampening, stand up for a banging/rattling rear end).

When large hits are encountered, the forks suck it up and the rear follows.

The setup: 100mm oil level, 5 wt. .50kg springs in the forks, 8.0kg spring in the rear. 5mm of front preload with around 100mm of sag, 30mm or so of preload in the rear, around 110 sag (might need a bigger spring later). I weigh 200 fully loaded and another 20 lbs of tools on the back of the bike.

I also geared the bike down for tight woods with a 14 or 16 front sprocket and 50 tooth rear (good for staying in second gear all the time on the trails).

stock damper rod parts:

revalved dampener rod:

Here are the shim stacks I used based on the research that Zerodog did regarding the midvalve, compression and rebound stacks.

02' 4860 forks: Base compression valve
2x24x.1
1x12x.1
1x24x.1
1x22x.1
1x20x.1
1x18x.1
1x16x.1
1x14x.1
1x12x.1
3x9x.2

Mid-valve stack= .9mm float= 1.05mm
1x24x.15
1x22x.1
1x18x.1
1x14x.1
1x10x.1
1x12x.1
1x14x.1
1x20x.15

Rebound valve
4x24x.1 Delta shims
1x20x.1
1x18x.1
1x16x.1
1x14x.15
1x10x.3
1x16x.25

Here are the shims that I ordered from mxtech:
6mm: 12x.1 (x4) 6mm = base and rebound
16x.1 (x2)
14x.1 (x2)
9x.2 (x6)

8mm: 22x.1 (x2) 8mm = midvalve
18x.1 (x2)
14x.1 (x4)
10x.1 (x2)
12x.1 (x2)
20x.15 (x2)

Again, the shock was done by Zerodog . Great work. And I did the forks myself. After you take the forks apart a few times it gets easier and faster.

I also put in some Synergy seals on the forks and my puddles of fork oil on the floor are gone .

Now is a great time to get your forks and shocks out for service. Took a week for the shock and it is 100% better. The forks took about two weeks between ordering the shims and seals.

Here I am during the fork and shock testing... Yeah!!! Revalves do work, I noticed the difference immediately. I can ride faster now and not be as tired from manhandling the "640-OOhh-OOhh-OOhh."

Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #72
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Good job on the forks.

Glad you like the shock too!

Great picture, looks like a fun testing area.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #73
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,765
Guys,
Having done these mods to my bike I completely concur with Mtncrzr's analysis.
The good news is it works on a shortened suspension set up just the same but you do lose some ground clearance, on road and gravel road handling improves, in the real rough stuff you lose some by shortening. Not sure what to say about sand, I am not an experienced sand rider, a heavier shock spring is one key thing, the forks stiffen automatically when you shorten the springs a couple of inches.

One nice thing to have is sub tanks, with them you can instantly soften/harden the damping by changing the volume of the air chamber. It's like being able to vary the oil height, this give a really nice feel to the forks and you can fine tune your forks to match on/off road riding. Bleeding the air is a snap, just a button push.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #74
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
Great picture, looks like a fun testing area.
Pawnee National Grasslands, NE Colorado...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #75
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Pawnee National Grasslands, NE Colorado...