Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Plugs foul because they cannot reach proper operating temperature that keeps the insulator clean. You need to find out why that is happening and fix it. I think you've covered it with the oil consumption and oil on the plug causing the fouling. A leak down test would help isolate the cause.

P.S. Always run a resistor plug even if not required per Smokey Yunick February 1991.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
JamesOn2Wheels
Banned

Oddometer: 422
resistor plugs

somewhere Snobum said it was a mandatory no-no to use resistor plugs in pre 85 airheads...I think that was the

story anyway....what does anyone know about this. I'd like to put Iridium's in my 83,

I had a 2001 650 GS that surged like hell, a single plug version - I switched to an Iridium plug, and it solved about

90% of the surging...just the plug change was done.

James (sometimes known as Janes on certain posts in "rockies" section)
JamesOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Plugs foul because they cannot reach proper operating temperature that keeps the insulator clean. You need to find out why that is happening and fix it. I think you've covered it with the oil consumption and oil on the plug causing the fouling. A leak down test would help isolate the cause.

P.S. Always run a resistor plug even if not required per Smokey Yunick February 1991.
I have always been a fan of Yunick, and somewhere have a copy of his book from the late 60s - early 70s on Power Tuning, or somethng like that. Can you summarize what Smokey had to say about resistor plugs at that time?

Where RFI is a potential concern, as in CDI ignitions, I've always been taught that either resistor wires, resistor caps, or resistor plugs were sufficient but only one was needed and the others became detrimental if added into the circuit. On the airhead I run resistor wires since they are closest to the CDI. On the F 650 I have stock wires and NGK resistor caps (it came stock with Behru resistor caps), and non-resistor plugs because the CDI is at the back of the bike away from the secondary ignition circuit.

Still, I'd like to hear Smokey Yunick's opinion - he was the man! And his knowledge is still very much applicable today.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Thanks for all the input and suggestions !!

I think I got it solved, as per usual it was the simplest of things.

Decided to do a maintenance on the bike, Oil & filter, valve lash and a carburetor balance.

The oil that came out was nice and dark, no bits or pieces floating around. Stuck a swab up in to the pan and took a look for swarf. Clean as a whistle!!

Filter was also clean , had the proper white rubber O ring and a spacer. Replaced all that.

Valves were all in spec !!

On the carburetors I discovered a fault !!

When i removed what i thought were vacuum caps, were actually just pieces of vacuum line !!
Some rocket scientist trying to save a nickle had put a small ball bearing inside the opening to stop any air leaks, unfortunately one of the balls was missing.
Ergo; rough idle, poor mixture = plug fouling

Replaced that fubar and went for a ride.
Amazing how much better and stronger the bike runs.
Doug
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote