Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

Oddometer: 113
Bolivia death road ride...wow

The bad news......missed Dakar

The good news....took the day tour including the road of Death on an XR 400 with an out fit called Motorcycle Tours Bolivia.

An 8 hour tour with a personal guide that was possibly the best ride I have ever experienced. At $195 Us, it included a meal, all gear and a guide.

I looked at the website and expected I would be underwhelmed by the ride. I was 180 degrees out.

The day exceeded all of my expectations and raised the bar on what riding should be. This ain't no nube ride. A mix of dirt fire roads, dirt roads, mountain single track and sweepping mountain roads at the top of the mountains with constant switch backs up the mountains and down into the jungle. The last portion turned out to be a high speed super moto ride through the city of La Paz

Most of the ride is in the true alpine zone which provided great visibility and fewer obstructions. Temps were mostly cool.

The guide Juan, was highly skilled and knew the trail. We were flying. No fear, no limits. We pushed each other alittle. He spoke very little English and I less Spanish. We communicated using the universal language of Moto madness.

Death road was all up hill with fantastic views and a million corners. The section was supposedly closed to cars and trucks but we saw a few. Many of the turns were blind, narrow and had nothing to prevent a rider from the potential testing of the glide slope of a motorcycle. Water falls, narrow sections and sheer cliffs made for exhilarating riding.

We rode through the jungle section on a mixture of dirt and rock roads. A bunch of wet up hill and down hill switchbacks made for some terrific riding.

On the road portion, Trafic was light to none. I was surprised and delighted to find the knobby tires totally hooking up with the pavement. I found myself racing the guide and overtaking busses, cars and trucks on roads Simalar to the Dragon. You were able to see the road ahead because it was often parallel to you around the next hairpin switchback. You could use the whole width of the road to pick your line and power thru the apex of each turn. Freaking awesome.

The bikes were tall geared with a high top end and some low end torque loss compared to my KTM and DRZ, This took alittle getting used to. To wheelie, you really had to pre load and yank on the bars or go over a bump. It may have also been the jetting of the bikes to be able to run at high altitude But this made the road portion a high speed, apex cornering wonderland.

We take a huge sweeper and exit full throttle to find a speed checkpoint. There were police with considerable hardware. I stood at the bikes with my mouth shut as the guide followed on of the cops to his truck. After about 20 minutes we were free to go and off we went with a roost.

After about 7 hours of pure adrenalin riding we enter the city of La Paz. This section was also enjoyable and at a sick pace as we blew over speed bumps and ripped past every vehicle and through corners.

The entire ride had that feeling, you know the feeling that only we as Moto nut cases understand. I can't wait to try their other ride tours. This county has incredible dirt riding and all types of riding. Hills, turns you name it.

I recommend that you all come to Bolivia and try out motorcycle tours Bolivia
Take one of their tours- its beyond compare.

Will post pics....soon.

Add this one to your bucket list.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 494

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Yea, let's see em!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
The off-roading in Bolivia kept me there for 2 years, it's hard to beat. Mountains, deserts, jungle it has it all and you can do it in a loop.

The roads can be dangerous and the food more-so but anyone who doesn't visit Bolivia is missing out on something special.

Looking forward to the pics...
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

Trying to find a good enough Internet connection to post the pics and some video is a challenge down here.

It's 2:12 am and for some odd reason I am not tired. Must be this mouth full of green leaves I am chewing.

In a couple of days I will get hold of a bike and do some exploring around Tareja.

Posting pics may have to wait till Feb.

Thanks for reading my post.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

After an exhausting search, I managed to find 2 bikes to rent for a day ride into the mountains of Tarija, Bolivia.

A Drz 250 with a small rear sprocket. It took us a day to finally find bikes to rent.

The small drz Made for little or no roosting. Probably kept me from killing myself.

Another great ride into the mountains on mostly two track dirt roads. Dodging cows, bulls and a lama we powered our way to the summit of different peeks.

We hired two locals to ride along side of. $100 us for two guides was well worth it as we managed to avoid pavement most of the day.

If anyone is ever riding in Tarija, let me know and I can hook you up with some great guides.

Almost all of the riding was in the alpine zone.

My nephew managed to slide his bike out coming out of a river crossing. He broke the tripple clamp in 3 places.. The handle bars were badly bent.

To get back, I had to use a roll of electrical tape, 10 ft of barbed wire and two wrenches. The wrenches were used as a splint, wired in place and taped over.

Ofcouse, I had the pleasure of riding the back back to the city and then thru traffic.

The renter was quite amused by my rube Goldberg enginuty and only charged an exta 200 B. at 7 to one, it cost about 28 us.

Another fun day in the wind.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

Pix are in

Old 01-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

P 0 P E Y E screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 11:42 AM
P 0 P E Y E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

Was a great ride..................
Old 01-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 0 P E Y E View Post
Was a great ride..................
If based on pucker factor, it has to be right at the top of the list.

Great photos.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
P 0 P E Y E OP
Bald rider

Pucker factor and the view....but the trails around home are more technical