06-23-2012: Saturday Slackin'

Coasting...
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #1952
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726

I've just switch-backed - that's Old 16 in the upper left - crossed over a stream, and am just about to cross over it again. I've lost a lot of altitude, and it's starting to get crispy. Steamy, even.

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 06:24 PM
Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #1953
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,821
Congrats on the Front Page photo!!!

No need to send a check either,,, the first one was more than enough!!!

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #1954
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
Front page on this site is a real honor. In my opinion, this site has some of the better amateur landscape photographers out there contributing loads of fabulous photo's and to have yours selected for the rotation puts you in an elite group. Congratulations!!!

And, man that Harley gets places few Harleys get to play.

Looks like I'm going to be on my Buell for a while as I fried a stator and regulator on my scooter. I'm glad I have 2 as I hate being bikeless.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1955
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
Congrats on the Front Page photo!!!

No need to send a check either,,, the first one was more than enough!!!
Thanks amigo - me 'n D are pretty pumped about it all. :-):-)

Cool beans on the check dealio, as I'm running dangerously low........................................... ;-)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #1956
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Front page on this site is a real honor. In my opinion, this site has some of the better amateur landscape photographers out there contributing loads of fabulous photo's and to have yours selected for the rotation puts you in an elite group. Congratulations!!!

And, man that Harley gets places few Harleys get to play.

Looks like I'm going to be on my Buell for a while as I fried a stator and regulator on my scooter. I'm glad I have 2 as I hate being bikeless.
Thanks Tastroman. You're a very good photographer yourself. Sometimes it's the eye, sometimes it's just luck, and often it's both. I think this one was a lot of luck. In any event, I consider it a great honor; there are some truly gifted photogs on ADV. I don't think I fall into this category, but it's not for lack of trying. :-)

Re: the RK, I actually got it dirty this weekend. By request, I'll be posting-up pix to prove it!

So, like, do you still remember how to ride your Uly? Quick, what's the shift pattern??

I need to hook you and Prior up. He does the Uly thing, too (quite well, I might add), and I think you guys would hit it off nicely.

Thanks again, amigo, and thanks for riding along. :-)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #1957
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

By the time I got to the flatlands of North Carolina I'd gained 20 degrees in temp and was starting to curl up around the edges; I don't do heat and humidity very well. After dealing with two aggressive moto-attack dogs (another pet ((literally)) peeve of mine; the dogs AND the owner should be tied to a tree and beaten upside the head), I consulted the paper GPS and navigated my way from old 16 to new 16 and climbed back into the mountains on smooth, twisty pavement. What took an hour coming down took about five minutes going up, and the drop in temp was welcome and refreshing.

I hung a left on the Parkway and continued south, still not sure where I was going, and still not caring. I pulled into the Lump Overlook at milepost 265 and noticed a Honda ST1100 with ADV stickers on it. Cool, a fellow inmate!

Lady and germs, please meet Bob-something-or-other:

Actually, it could be WhataboutBob, Bob's Not Here, WhatWouldBobDo, or maybe it's even Bill-something-or-other; I really can't remember. It's a mouthful, whatever it is, and I gave "him" one of my cards, told him about this thread, and asked that he log on when he got home (Florida) from his ride, watch for his photo, and remind me what his actual screen name is and introduce himself to all y'all.

Pleasure to meet and visit with you, amigo, and I hope you had a great rest of the ride. :-)

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 03:56 AM
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #1958
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #1959
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 853
Congrats on the photo and as for both
Quote:
Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.
, could not agree more and never understand how "they" don't get it on any level and instead are quite proud of the family twig they represent.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #1960
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

The dog thing pisses me off also. When you said you hit Belcher Mountain Rd a couple weeks ago I immediately wondered if you got chased by the dogs who reside at the top of the mountain at a house on the left if you are heading down. I lack confidence on gravel so I especially hate being chased by dogs, and 2 up on a scooter (like I was my last trip down Belcher) just adds to the frustration. As the owner of a large dog myself I've got little tolerance for dogs running loose along public roads. Dogs are a great crime deterrent and I understand the value of a breeds guardian instincts, but the screw everyone else attitude of some dog owners is shear negligence.

It's actually been nice spending some time on the Buell as it really does handle nice. If only I had the skill to tap its potential.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #1961
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Congrats on the photo and as for both , could not agree more and never understand how "they" don't get it on any level and instead are quite proud of the family twig they represent.

Cheers
Thank you, sir! How ya comin' on your new motor quest? :-)

"Pig people," I call 'em - not just the owners of unruly dogs, but anyone that can't seem to go through life without a minimum level of respect and courtesy and decency for others. It ain't hard to get along, but some folks sure make it appear that way. I rank attack dogs right up there with cagers on their cell phones and deer at dusk as my biggest threats on any given ride.

The deer are just doing what they do. It's the pig people of this world (and their dogs and cell phones...) that really irritate me.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #1962
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
The dog thing pisses me off also. When you said you hit Belcher Mountain Rd a couple weeks ago I immediately wondered if you got chased by the dogs who reside at the top of the mountain at a house on the left if you are heading down. I lack confidence on gravel so I especially hate being chased by dogs, and 2 up on a scooter (like I was my last trip down Belcher) just adds to the frustration. As the owner of a large dog myself I've got little tolerance for dogs running loose along public roads. Dogs are a great crime deterrent and I understand the value of a breeds guardian instincts, but the screw everyone else attitude of some dog owners is shear negligence.
You rode Belcher Mountain two-up on your scooter? You're the man!!!!!

I've done Belcher three times and never seen a dog. Been lucky, I guess. Agree, gettin' it done on gravel creates a higher work load and adding attack dogs to the mix sure doesn't make it any easier. Concur fully with everything you said.

Quote:
It's actually been nice spending some time on the Buell as it really does handle nice. If only I had the skill to tap its potential.
Dude, prolly only Erik Buell himself has the skill to truly tap its potential!!

Let me know the next time you're headed up this way - me 'n D don't much care for dropping out of the mountains this time of year. I'm looking forward to our next ride. :-)
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #1963
Johnnybwashere
Movin on up...

Oddometer: 9
I hung a left on the Parkway and continued south, still not sure where I was going, and still not caring. I pulled into the Lump Overlook at milepost 265 and noticed a Honda ST1100 with ADV stickers on it. Cool, a fellow inmate!

Lady and germs, please meet Bob-something-or-other:

Actually, it could be WhataboutBob, Bob's Not Here, WhatWouldBobDo, or maybe it's even Bill-something-or-other; I really can't remember. It's a mouthful, whatever it is, and I gave "him" one of my cards, told him about this thread, and asked that he log on when he got home (Florida) from his ride, watch for his photo, and remind me what his actual screen name is and introduce himself to all y'all.

Pleasure to meet and visit with you, amigo, and I hope you had a great rest of the ride. :-)
[/QUOTE]

Hi Ferris! That was me. Johnnybwashere. Bob is close enough I guess, haha. It was great meeting you on the Parkway. I still haven't made it home! I stopped at my friends' in Asheville and ended up staying an extra 3 days while my home town of Tampa gets drowned. Something about riding through a tropical storm didn't sound appealing. It's Tuesday now and I'm off to ride the rest of the parkway and make the long straight trip through GA and FL. Rain gear in hand, I'm going through the eye. Thanks for the stories and keep riding safe. I'll continue to be jealous of these roads! Your pictures are incredible, I'll keep watching this thread.
-JB

1999 Honda ST1100
Johnnybwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #1964
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
[The deer are just doing what they do. It's the pig people of this world (and their dogs and cell phones...) that really irritate me.]
Get's an Amen from me!

Bike hunting is sooooo much better than a real job Found a couple sweet looking deals that are either a bit too far away or I was not the "Lucky 10th Caller" to win the prize. I am leaning towards a "clean one owner" as with new models hitting or about to arrive on the floor (from HD to Triumph et al) there is a recent surge of nice trade ins and/or private sales showing up.

TTFN, must get back to work
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #1965
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ferris View Post
Let me know the next time you're headed up this way - me 'n D don't much care for dropping out of the mountains this time of year. I'm looking forward to our next ride. :-)

Will do, work and family obligations have really cut into my riding time this summer (aside from commuting) but that hasn't stopped me from dreaming about it.