Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #2296
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 855
Already some spots of Fall colors starting to show.

FB, I had good intentions of trying to meet up with you this weekend, but a friend went down on a ride and I had a little detour to wait on his condition in the hospital and for family to arrive from out of state. Anyways, Tilley's set me up with a nice RK for the weekend, still managed about 400 miles in the rain and neither the bike, me nor my tent melted away in the downpours. Amazing ride for such a big girl, manage to use the tires out to the bar and shield logo embedded in the Dunlop's sidewall and got real spoiled with cruise, etc. Going to try a couple more too, very nice folks to deal with there.

Met this fine gentleman, David Willett, while enjoying a break at a gas stop in the heavy rain.

http://iwblogger.com/2011/products-h...eage-machines/

bobw screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 04:05 PM
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #2297
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I usually run the BRP the week of Columbus Day. It is falling just a bit earlier this year. This would make my trip Oct-6-12.
I am wondering if this will be a little too early for good color.
I know from experience that being a little early in VA is usually rewarded in NC at the higher elevations. What say ye FF?
Rog, it seems like fall is knocking a tick early this year - we've been seeing some tinges of color here and there for a couple of weeks now. I'm betting you'll find some excellent color in the first and second week of October; if not here in SWVA, certainly as you get down towards Grandfather Mountain and Mt. Mitchell.

Happy trails; looking forward to your RR. :-)
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #2298
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Already some spots of Fall colors starting to show.

FB, I had good intentions of trying to meet up with you this weekend, but a friend went down on a ride and I had a little detour to wait on his condition in the hospital and for family to arrive from out of state. Anyways, Tilley's set me up with a nice RK for the weekend, still managed about 400 miles in the rain and neither the bike, me nor my tent melted away in the downpours. Amazing ride for such a big girl, manage to use the tires out to the bar and shield logo embedded in the Dunlop's sidewall and got real spoiled with cruise, etc. Going to try a couple more too, very nice folks to deal with there.
Hey Bob, was hoping to hear from you, sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he's going to be OK. Is there anything we can do??

Glad you went to Tilley's. Don's a heck of a gentleman, and he runs a tight ship. Glad you're digging the RK. We like ours a bunch, and can only imagine how much better the newer ones are. Next time maybe try it without the windshield and see whatcha think??

By the way, is that Price Lake in the pic?

Quote:
Met this fine gentleman, David Willett, while enjoying a break at a gas stop in the heavy rain.

http://iwblogger.com/2011/products-h...eage-machines/
Haven't had a chance to check out the link just yet; will do so and report back.

Happy trails. :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #2299
bobw
Harden the phuck up

I should have left the windshield at the shop, I like clean air, etc., but it was OK overall.

Wasn't a nasty crash looking at the minimal low side damage. He caught some gravel and must have hit real hard. He was wearing "all the gear" and said he picked it up and rode a few minutes, but packed it in and waved over another rider. He went to get checked out and ended up with his spleen removed and has a broken vertebrae (not sure the #) but is doing well at Winston-Salem, His family is now in town and his bike is at a friends home, so now it is mending time. Thanks for the offer of help.

Yes, Price Lake, you have a good eye!

Here's one near a very "squirrel y" road

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #2300
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Bob,
Very sorry to hear about your friend's mishap. We're all of 10 minutes from Winston, if there's anything he or the family needs, don't hesitate to get a hold of me. Know what it's like to be new to an area...

Prior
Prior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #2301
Haji
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I was up in your neck of the woods this weekend. We stopped in Durham the the Bull City Rumble, a cafe racer event. It was really cool, I recommend it to anyone who likes bikes Saw lots of cool ones! We continued up to Roanoke via VIR, 58 to 220. I had forgotton what a good rode 220 is for a fourlane! We got on the parkway in Roanoke on Sunday morning and didn't see another soul until a couple of miles from Mabry's Mill. It was great ride, even though it was hot as blue blazes, until about 30 miles from home and we got caught in the worst rain I've ever seen. Never the less, great weekend on the bike

Haji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #2302
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post
Bob,
Very sorry to hear about your friend's mishap. We're all of 10 minutes from Winston, if there's anything he or the family needs, don't hesitate to get a hold of me. Know what it's like to be new to an area...

Prior
Thank you for the offer, he's commented on how nice all the NC people are and I totally agree He lives in OH and rode down to meet with mutual friends for an annual get together/ride. Two years ago was his first trip and he had a minor crash, last year we all met in the Rockies and this year we were back in NC and he was on super good behavior so as to just enjoy the trip... ooops

Gear did it's job though!

http://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/...345.971077.jpg
Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #2303
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Here's one near a very "squirrel y" road
Several of us strafed that very same road this afternoon, although - thank goodness - the pavement was actually dry for a change.

How's your buddy doing??
Old 09-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #2304
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haji View Post
I was up in your neck of the woods this weekend. We stopped in Durham the the Bull City Rumble, a cafe racer event. It was really cool, I recommend it to anyone who likes bikes Saw lots of cool ones! We continued up to Roanoke via VIR, 58 to 220. I had forgotton what a good rode 220 is for a fourlane! We got on the parkway in Roanoke on Sunday morning and didn't see another soul until a couple of miles from Mabry's Mill. It was great ride, even though it was hot as blue blazes, until about 30 miles from home and we got caught in the worst rain I've ever seen. Never the less, great weekend on the bike

Haji, great pic, thanks for posting. Yep, some big rain last Sunday. We caught a lot of fog, sounds like you caught most of the rain.

Love to see old iron still on the road. That's an Isle of Man sticker on the tail light housing on the bottom bike, right?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #2305
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

This morning:

Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #2306
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper