Oddometer: 4,024
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #2402
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadew View Post
Farris glad to see you back.Your pictures of the Road King in the mountains bring a big smile,the best looking Harley on the best riding roads.Ride safe
Muchas gracias, Papadew!!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #2403
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Back in the day I used to ride a Buell (a couple of them, actually), and I very much enjoyed taking days off on them.

Alas, both are long gone - my '96 S2 Thunderbolt munched the motor when the oil pump drive gear sheared, and the bike was slowly parted out over the subsequent years - yes, I'm a blooming idiot - and my '98 S1W White Lightning currently resides in northern California with its owner, my good friend Sleez.

It was my S2, affectionately known as the BLURR, that turned me on to the reality that stuffing a Harley engine in a sportbike chassis isn't as moronic as it sounds, and this motorcycle opened many worlds for me, both adventure-wise, and enduring friendship-wise. Many of the folks I ride with to this day I stumbled into because of a mutual passion for Buell motorcycles, and as you, dear reader, have Shirley noticed throughout this thread, most of the folks I ride with on a regular basis have a Buell as their main squeeze.

I'll have another one someday - another early Thunderbolt, please, in Ice White Pearl - but until then I have to pretend the Road King is a Buell (and many days, it actually believes it is!)

If'n ya don't mind - since I don't have any additional current ADV pix to post up - I thought I'd share a few blasts from the past. These are digital photos of prints, so the overall quality of the images suck. I'll invest in a nice scanner of these days, but in the meantime knock back a shot of your favorite hooch, turn down the lights a little, close one eye and squint a little with the other, and these grainy ol' pix will look just about right.

This is the BLURR, posing at sunset in northwest Washington State, with Mount Rainier looming in the background. I'd just spent all day riding the volcano, including many miles of gravel logging roads, and was desperately trying to get home before dark (epic fail). It was getting darned chilly and I was seriously under-dressed for such, but the lighting rocked and this is one of my all-time favorite pix of the BLURR.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #2404
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

The road shown in the above photo is pretty famous with old-geezer motorcyclists in the Pacific Northwest, particularly for fans of the long-since-defunct Rainier Beer.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...................Dddd ddddddddddddddddddddd.....................Vvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.................. ............................................
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #2405
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 394
Cool Old Farmstead

FB1,

I have stopped at that old farmstead in the past. In fact I spent the good part of an afternoon there once when I had the ST1300. Went through the old barn and made several laps around the house before taking a break on the front porch and smoking a ceegar. There's some neat old farm and blacksmith machinery in the barn and several horse shoes nailed in various places. Being a collector of anything rusted and old I was tempted to take on of the horse shoes but took the high road and left it behind. It wasn't too long after that I read one of your RR's and you had stopped in a ghost town somewhere in the Death Valley area and found an old license plate. I can't remember if you were tempted to take it but I remember you left it behind and the only thing you took was a photo. Cool some of the parallels in our adventures. Too bad we don't hang out more often.

JB2

Link to the old farmstead on BikeNutz:http://www.bikenutz.com/contact/
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #2406
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Darkside Danny on the left, me 'n the BLURR in the middle, and Dave the BattleTrax King on the right, getting some Tijuana on us, circa '97 if I'm remembering right. A bunch of us had ridden down to Del Mar, California for the Del Mar Mile, and after mas hooch on our motel room balcony the night before this photo I had the bright idea to hit the road before dawn, cross the border into Mexico, snap a pic to prove we were there, and then hump back to Del Mar in time for the Mile.

Darkside almost got himself confiscated at the return border crossing when he couldn't remember his country of origin (must have been the tequila the night before... ), but it all worked pretty much according to plan, and we got this mas keeper of a photo as a result of our Buellish ADVenturosity.

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 08:32 AM
Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #2407
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2 View Post
FB1,

I have stopped at that old farmstead in the past. In fact I spent the good part of an afternoon there once when I had the ST1300. Went through the old barn and made several laps around the house before taking a break on the front porch and smoking a ceegar. There's some neat old farm and blacksmith machinery in the barn and several horse shoes nailed in various places. Being a collector of anything rusted and old I was tempted to take on of the horse shoes but took the high road and left it behind. It wasn't too long after that I read one of your RR's and you had stopped in a ghost town somewhere in the Death Valley area and found an old license plate. I can't remember if you were tempted to take it but I remember you left it behind and the only thing you took was a photo. Cool some of the parallels in our adventures. Too bad we don't hang out more often.

JB2
Yeah, I was SERIOUSLY tempted to take it:

This photo was taken almost exactly nine years ago (on my way to meet YOU in Colorado ), and I'm betting that old license plate (dated, no less - way cool!) is still there.

Twin sons of different mothers, you 'n me. :-)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #2408
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ferris View Post
Twin sons of different mothers, you 'n me. :-)
That's my twin bro second from left (I'm taller, a little, and better looking, a lot, but twins we are! ):

JB2, remind me the story behind this pic?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #2409
JB2
Open Road

PACBOG Ride

Great day of riding. Mark Sidelinger(4th from the left) organized a PACBOG ride in the Allegheny National Forest. The ride took us through PA, NY and the heart of Amish country. This was our next-to-the-last stop for a photo-op at Buell's Corners, PA. We had just been down a road called the "roller-coaster" and were still pretty pumped. On the lead-in Mark had asked all the non-sport bikes to group-up and follow the sport bikes. Odd request but the sport bike guys were amped to open it up a little. Mark led and placed Chris Camp(far left) and I in the number three and four slots. We hit some twisties then a longer straight stretch when Mark really turned up the wick. Ahead you could see the humpbacks in the road but us Hoosier Buellers were unaware of the sharpness or severity of the elevation changes. At nearly triple digits we hit the first hump and every bike was airborne. Not airborne a few inches off the ground but airborne where you could see the bike in front of you... below you. On the second or third "jump" we passed a young Amish girl in a buggy coming the other direction. The horse reared and nearly came into our lane. The last thing we seen in our rear-views was the horse running at full gallop and her trying to "whoa" him. At any rate, we were airborne more on that stretch of road than I remember being when I raced MX in the early 70's... on streetbikes no less. We were pretty close to outlaws that day when you think about. Come to think of it... I've been pretty close to being an outlaw ever since I started running with you Ferris. My first Federal Speeding Citation was with YOU!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #2410
JB2
Open Road

Btw

FB1,

Almost forgot to say that Mark's friend(Brian I think) on the pearl white S2 was one helluva rider. He was a big boy, at least 6'4", with a ponytail, beard and a set of chaps. Just like another guy I know who rode a pearl white Buell and wore chaps. Another brother you've never met.

Secondly, cool vanity plate on the RK. Did you make that at home or get it from the Virginia BMV?

Thirdly, I've been on ADV for over 5 years and hitting 300 with this post. Too much time on the internet. Back to lurk mode. See ya on the other side.

JB2
Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #2411
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
...Come to think of it... I've been pretty close to being an outlaw ever since I started running with you Ferris. My first Federal Speeding Citation was with YOU!
Excellent memories, amigo, and I wasn't even there!

Outlaws? Yeah, I'll say, you hombres look like Highwaymen to me!!

Re: the federal speeding rap, I've been blaming it for years on YOU, even though I was out front, onnaconna you were pushing me. Yeah, that's the ticket, you were PUSHING me:

We're lucky we're not rotting in a jail cell in Denver!!

What a way to begin a ride around the country, eh??
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #2412
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
FB1,

Almost forgot to say that Mark's friend (Brian I think) on the pearl white S2 was one helluva rider. He was a big boy, at least 6'4", with a ponytail, beard and a set of chaps. Just like another guy I know who rode a pearl white Buell and wore chaps. Another brother you've never met.
That's John Scott, according to the note you wrote on the back of the photo (dated 08/15/1998 - hey, that's like so last century!)

Yeah, not many men can pull off wearing chaps. I used to be such a man... I'll show off my former chaps style here in a second.

Quote:
Secondly, cool vanity plate on the RK. Did you make that at home or get it from the Virginia BMV?
Yes.

Quote:
Thirdly, I've been on ADV for over 5 years and hitting 300 with this post. Too much time on the internet. Back to lurk mode. See ya on the other side.

JB2
Sheesh, you're only three thousand or so posts behind me - hurry up!!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #2413
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Super-stylin' at the inaugural Arizona Bike Week in Phoenix, early 1998, chaps, chore boots and all. (As an aside, I finally retired that jacket in April of this year when I replaced it with a buttery-soft new jacket from the good folks at Fox Creek Leather in Independence, Virginia.)

This pic was taken during the BattleTrax event, either by Darkside Danny or Mrs. Darkside - I *think* it was Mrs. Darkside. Me 'n Gumby had trailered our Buells all the way down from the Pacific Northwest for this gig (trailered, you ask? Yeah, have you ever ridden over Mount Shasta in the winter?? Me, either!), and I was really, really, REALLY looking forward to BattleTrax (BX). But, I had been leading a group ride out to Cave Creek the day before this and blew the rear head gasket. FRAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only spit a head gasket, but on the rear cylinder, which is a biatch to get to on an S2. So, late in the day before BX I'm holed up in the back of Woz's infamous Bread Truck with a shop manual and the parts and tools I think I'm gonna need, doing my first-ever head gasket swap on a Buell.

It took two trips to the local H-D dealer to secure all the parts and gaskets I needed, and I worked most of the way through the night getting the gasket swapped out and putting everything all put back together, working by the light of a shop light after it got dark. I didn't get much sleep.

The BX event the next morning was packed with riders. The BLURR seemed to be running OK, although I was sure nervous about the quality (or lack thereof) of my repair work. Willie G was in attendance, as was Trev Deeley (who joined PACBOG at my request that day - I asked him while I was waiting in line to make a run! ), and I was plenty amped.

I was logging good times, and in the running for Fastest S2 Thunderbolt AND Top Time of Day (TToD), which is the trophy I really wanted. On this particular pass, on this particular corner, it was late in the going and I had the track pretty much figured out. But, I had so much lean angle the toe peg on the shifter touched down and it kicked the bike up into neutral! Sucky place go limp, but I got it back into gear in an instant and finished the run. (Note that I'm using the edge of my boot as a "feeler" - I used to replace my boots when I could see my socks poking out...)

At the end of the day, I took two trophies: Fastest S2 and TToD. I was mighty proud then, and still am to this day, not only for besting a pretty deep field of riders, but also for doing so in such unusual conditions.

This bike is long gone, but the memories remain, the friendships persist, and the passion burns as bright now as it did when I started riding almost 50 years ago.

The only thing that has changed? I no longer look smokin' hot in chaps.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #2414
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

A cold, wet northwest day, near Detroit, Oregon (nope, THIS one hasn't gone bankrupt...) with Mark L, the BLURR, Jeremy R. and Jim C.

We used to call this wave the "Gumby".
Old 08-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #2415
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Note the pirate in the chaps!