User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #2566
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 364
Un-Labored Day Weekend

Sunday's good. Just say where. Don't forget it's a three day weekend or is Monday not an option?
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #2567
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726
Yikes, forgot it was a holiday weekend. Need to check in with the HBIC* and see what we've got cookin'.

Staintune'd...

*Head Babe In Charge
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #2568
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

We stopped at Rap's to rest a spell, and were delighted to run into our good friend Cowboy:

We don't see him often, but it's always a treat when we do. We met him one night several years ago down at the Lone Star in Mount Airy. He was giving Katie, the barkeep, a hard time about not having any Shiner Bock on tap.

He just. Would. NOT. STOP.

It was all in fun, and Katie gives as good as she gets, but dayum, the man just wouldn't stop whining about his frikkin' Shiner Bock.

I finally said, "Katie, pour this man a Yuengling on us, and maybe we can finally get some peace and quiet in here and get back to watchin' our NASCAR."

The bar got real quiet, and Katie's eyes got big as saucers. Cowboy pivoted on his bar stool and fixed me a gaze that would stop a charging buffalo dead in its tracks.

I smiled and said, "Howdy, pardner. Ferris Bueller, this is Denise, pleasure to meet you, hope you like your Yuengling."

There were a couple more moments of icy silence, then everybody broke out laughing, including Cowboy (whew!), and we've been amigos y amiga ever since.

Cowboy is an interesting character, to say the least, and I think at one point or another in his life has done about every sort of work you can imagine, including selling luxury cars at an upscale dealership in Los Angeles.

And yep, he's even been a real cowboy.

He's the consummate gentleman, very articulate, even poetic at times. He's also tough as horseshoe nails.

One of my favorite stories is him telling about the time him and a bunch of his homies were drinking the evening away in Love Valley, North Carolina. It's an actual wild west town a couple hours south of here, where the main street is dirt, the sidewalks are wood, no cars are allowed, and there are hitchin' posts in front of every business. Love Valley is horse-friendly, to say the least, and it's common to see the townfolk doing their business on horseback.

So one of Cowboy's friends has had too much to drink (prolly that frikkin' tekilya crap - gets me 'pert near every time), and was getting belligerant. Cowboy likes to live large, but he can hold his own and has a lot of respect for those in his close proximity. He asked his buddy to quiet down and behave himself like a gentleman.

His buddy, more or less, told Cowboy to eff the eff off.

Cowboy's pretty slow to anger (thank goodness...), so I imagine he kinda smiled at that, slid off his barstool, twisted up the ends of his mustache a bit, and said something along the lines of, "Dude, sit yer fat, sorry ass down and shut that stupid, gaping pie hole of yours," or something equally elegant and brutally tactful.

His buddy got belligeranter, as the story goes, and implied maybe he was fixin' to show Cowboy where bears do their business if he didn't mind his own business.

Cowboy says, "Dude, shut yer yap or I'm gonna tie you up to the hitchin' post out front until you sober up."

The dude pretty much dared him at that point (yep, musta been tekilya), and Cowboy matter-of-factly drug the guy outta the saloon and tied him up to the hitching post, just like he'd promised.

And then left him there for several hours. Heck, it's been a couple years since we heard this story - he mighta left him there all night!

That's the Cowboy we know and love.

That night we met at the Lone Star, I kinda feel like Cowboy was our Wyatt Earp, and me 'n Dnutz were his Doc Holliday. We still feel that way.

So to run into him at Rap's yesterday was a real pleasure, and we sure did have the grandest time.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #2569
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Cowboy draws the wimmin' folk likes moths to a flame; it's just something he exudes, I guess.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this evening panned out for him.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #2570
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Confuzion was playing at Rap's on Sunday, the first time we'd ever heard them play. Wow!

That Randy Mabe on bass, and Christina Robinson on lead. She's 15 years old!!

I know this is prolly bordering on sacrilege, but she reminded us of SRV. Yes, I'm serious. No, she doesn't sing, but can she ever make that guitar talk, and has a stage presence well beyond her years.

Christi's got a solid future ahead of her. It was fun to see this girl play. She owned the place.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #2571
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #2572
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Want another stunner? That's Melody Tate on drums, and she's also Confuzion's lead singer. She's only 17!

Melody rocks a mean kit, and has a voice to match - I think, if she tried, she could prolly break glass.

Confuzion is mostly classic rock, perfect for a biker bar like Rap's, and Melody sings 'em all. Some of their stuff she can't quite reach yet vocally, but she, like Christi, is young and still honing her chops.

I'll say this: Melody cranked out Janis Joplin's "Take Another Piece of My Heart" like nobody's business, a truly breathtaking rendition, while Christi shredded and strutted on lead.

Good stuff.

Confuzion, ladies and gentlemen.

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 06:02 AM
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #2573
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

That's Rap himself, enjoying the show just like the rest of us biker trash.

They just opened their new restaurant. The food is good, the prices are biker-friendly, they've got four different beers on tap (the usual, plus some microbrews) and plenty in bottles, and a good selection of wine to choose from.

Live music, food and hooch, ice cream, a well-stocked store (including beer and wine to go), fuel for your moto, and mas good times, all right on the Parkway. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Rap's Orchard Gap, BRP milemarker 193.5.
http://www.rapsva.com/wp/
Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2574
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

This is a musical montage by Christi, filmed almost three years ago - she had only just turned 13. Wow.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #2575
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Wonderful photos as usual.

That family cemetery sign is heartbreaking: the oldest person listed died at age 33 and one child died on Christmas day.

A sobering reminder of how fragile life can be.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #2576
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Bears like BBQ, too

There was a loud, crashing sound outside the house yesterday morning before sunup. We discovered our new BBQ, which looked like this a couple weeks ago...

...now looked like this:

We're thinkin' a bear, maybe a cub based on the size of the claw marks in the cover. We've seen adults in the 'hood before, including right next to the house, and we've got several neighbors with infrared game cameras who have reported regular visits by bears (including a sow with cubs) at night of late.

(One of said neighbors has set up a feed station, and has shown us pix of deer, bear, and even a mountain lion at their feeder. We're not particulary happy about enticing big, wild cats to roam among us...)

Anyway, the BBQ crashed well and isn't too much the worse for wear. One of our neighbors who regularly BBQ stores theirs in their garage when it's not in use, precisely to keep bears from constantly destroying it. We may have to consider doing the same.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #2577
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
Wonderful photos as usual.
Hey Ned, many thanks!! Thanks for riding along.

Quote:
That family cemetery sign is heartbreaking: the oldest person listed died at age 33 and one child died on Christmas day.

A sobering reminder of how fragile life can be.

Ned
Indeed. I was wondering if anyone would comment on the dates. We pretty much take for granted that we'll all live to a ripe, old age, but back then...well, I guess you got what you got.

That's only the second time I've ever been on that road, and the first time I missed the sign for the cemetery. I didn't have enough time to pay a proper visit, as I needed to get home and grab Dnutz so we could meet Prior and Bull up in Meadows of Dan for breakfast, but I plan to go back and do a proper walkabout.

There's a small mom 'n pop nursery not far from there where we've purchased several landscaping plants over the years. The old-timer who runs the place is Mr. Jones, and I'd bet the farm he's related to the folks on that sign; people around these parts don't tend to move around much.

Thanks again for riding along and for your comments. It's always nice to get feedback.

Ferris

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 08:05 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #2578
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,403
Probably thought it was another near in the dark . A steel bear with the magical ability to produce delicious meats ..lol
Mountain lions ...down where your at ? There is a constant debate here in Pa about them , the game commission says they don't exist , people have produced pictures but they deny it. A friend of the in-laws claimed to have shot one a few years ago that was killing his goats. Claimed it had a collar and the game commission basically swept it under the rug with threats amd a gag order . True...don't know but makes for an interesting story

sent from my Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator
Old 08-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #2579
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 364
Love Valley - Cowboy Capital

FB1,

Cool story on Cowboy... all of it. Makes the plate on the front of the F150 a little more valuable... at least to me.
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #2580
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee View Post
Probably thought it was another near in the dark . A steel bear with the magical ability to produce delicious meats ..lol
Mountain lions ...down where your at ? There is a constant debate here in Pa about them , the game commission says they don't exist , people have produced pictures but they deny it. A friend of the in-laws claimed to have shot one a few years ago that was killing his goats. Claimed it had a collar and the game commission basically swept it under the rug with threats amd a gag order . True...don't know but makes for an interesting story

sent from my Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator
Hey Wannabee, good to hear from you again!

Interesting comments you make, particularly since the folks with the pix of the "mountain lion" (which is what everyone who's looked at their pix think it is) have been told EXACTLY the same thing by the game commission: They don't exist around here.

I'm about 99% positive it isn't a cougar or a bobcat, and you can tell from the pix that it's a very BIG cat. I'm no expert on any of this, but I saw the photos with my own eyes, and it certainly isn't somebody's domestic house cat.

Deer? We've got 'em by the truckload. Forest rats, we call 'em, and it's a constant battle to keep them from mowing our flower beds down to the ground.

Bears? Got them, too, and not real crazy about our neighbors feeding them, but we're not particularly 'skeered of them (although news of the sow with cubs, which we just heard a couple of weeks ago from the folks two houses down from us, sure got our attention).

Wild cats, however, is an entirely different story, IMO. A bear normally would very much want nothing to do with you, like the one I saw on the north side of our house a couple of years ago. It popped outta the woods, saw me and a neighbor standing there yakking, and hung an immediate u-turn and disappeared.

Big cats, however, are a whole 'nother creature, so to speak, and I do NOT like the fact we've got neighbors baiting them.

Thanks for the post and comments, and for riding along. Hope you're well, looking forward to hearing of your next ADVenture.

Ferris

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 08:06 PM