User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #2641
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 4,024
Bro Doug's RK ADV

So my older brother Doug pings me a while back and wants to know everything there is to know about Road Kings. "Why do you ask?" I ask. "Shut up and answer the question," he replies. Yeah, he's always been bumpy like that, but Mom always liked ME best.

Doug is six years older than I, is quite an accomplished individual (commercial helicopter pilot rating, as but one example), and was actually the catalyst, when I was perhaps six or seven years old, for my lifelong passion for riding (a tale for another time, perhaps).

He and I have done a lot of things together over the years.

Except ride.

And THAT is about to change.

So Bro Doug, with my assist, narrows down the year of Road King he's after (2009), and decides upon two color combos offered that year that he can live with.

Further, he makes the command decision to get online and find one "out here" (he lives in northwest Washington), fly out for the pick-up, and spend a week with me 'n D getting to know his new moto while we show him some of our local riding treasures.

Here are some pix to tell the tale. The verbiage may be skinny (I've actually got a life outside of ADV, although sometimes it's hard to tell), but the photos should help, and some may actually elicit a "Dang, that looks like a buttload of RK ADV fun!" from some or all y'all.

Or not.

So Doug finds THE bike down in southeast Florida. I offered to drive down in the Limo and pick up he and his new RK and hump us all ASAP back to the Appalachians so as to maximize the good stuff.

At a southbound fuel stop on my way down a road-grubby KLR and rider motored into the station. I took note of the prominent ADV sticker on the front fender, and when I finished my biz walked over and introduced myself.

This is my new friend Phil, aka "ironambre" (Iron Hombre) here on ADV...

...and Phil is THE man, 'cause he's on the final leg of his "I live in southwest Florida, I want to be an ADV'er, I want a KLR, there are a million of them for sale around HERE, but I want to fly somewhere ELSE and buy one, and spend a week and a half riding it home!"

Dude, you so ROCK!

The Iron Man bought this baby up in Maine (two words for you, Phil: AWE SOME!!) and at this point is about a tankful of fuel or so from home. Does he look like a seasoned ADV'er already? Yeah, I thought so, too.

Pleasure to meet you, Iron Man. Looking forward to your RR.
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #2642
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Doug and the seller doing a walk-around...

...the happy new RK owner ...

...and a look at the Limo/RK package during a pee stop on the long slog north:

Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #2643
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

We stopped just outside Jacksonville, Florida to pay a visit to our former neighbors Don and Ruth, who recently sold their vacation home up here in the Virginia mountains due to the realities of life. We miss them dearly, and I couldn't pass up such a perfect opportunity to see them again.

This is their waterfront home at sunset...

...Don and Doug talking life, motorcycles (Don's a rider, too) and politics out on their dock...

...and a beautiful portrait of Don and Doug:

These are two very good men: honest, hard-working, loyal friends, good businessmen, good husbands and family men, and good political conservatives (as if there is any other kind). They'll both hard-time me for being so Hallmark, but if we had more Don's and Doug's in the world, well, we'd be far better off.

Ruth rocks, too!!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #2644
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

We got home late the following afternoon and got Doug's bike unloaded. We had about an hour of good daylight left when all the dust settled, and Doug wanted to begin his learning curve (I had done the test ride down in Florida, i.e. zero seat time for Doug on his new machine at this point).

I walked him through the basics and pointed him toward the Parkway. Funny deal: I was nervous about sending him off on his solo flight. Doug's my big brother, and excels at everything he touches. That said, it'd been multiple decades since he'd ridden on the street, and NEVER on anything that weighs 800+ pounds.

He stalled on the first attempt at launch (I'm prolly not s'posed to mention that...), but on the second go 'round off he went, and I could hear him power up through the gears on the Parkway.

He came back in about 20 minutes, a contented look on his face, having successfully knocked off his first layer of riding rust. No runs, no drips, no errors, all digits and limbs intact, and his Road King still pristine and fully functional.

Life B Betty Betty Good.

A little nervous, we both are...

First solo!

Success!

Awe Some!!

Photos by DNutz
Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #2645
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
Congratulations Doug,

Hopefully you will become a part of this online community. Beautiful bike BTW.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #2646
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
...Hopefully you will become a part of this online community.
TMan: If he doesn't, I'll post very bad things about him.

Here's a look at Doug's immaculate, vintage Beechcraft Bonanza, where (up until now) he spends most of his precious free time:

He and his homies out in the Northwest are big-time into formation flying (which is why he's so close in the above pic). Makes me sweat bullets to fly with the Beech Boyz, but they make it look pretty easy:

This is on a different flight, and I'm in the back seat of Doug's plane, photo-documenting the ride. That's Doug in the left seat, his buddy John in the right, and there are TWO planes ahead of us (see the v-tail of the lead plane?) and one tucked up tight behind us. Fun stuff:

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 07:54 AM
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #2647
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Doug is flying in slot #4 (behind us) in this formation flight over the Hood Canal in Washington:

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #2648
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 394
Tastroman and FB1,

Hey that is the same farmhouse. The photo I'm using as a header on the website was taken in 2005. I was doing a solo trip down the Skyline Drive and the BRP on a brand new ST1300. There was, at the time, a path mowed down to the first barn. There were some trampled human trails over to the house but I wasn't sure if they were Parkway visitors or folks tending to the crops. Most all the fields surrounding it were planted. Getting the pig back in there to shoot the bike seemed out of the question but I have some pics in front of the barn and a bunch of the old farmstead. I was a little ahead of schedule and was looking for a way to kill an afternoon when I stumbled onto the place. Barely got left before deer-thirty and barely got a room and a meal. Had a great afternoon there. Fell asleep on the porch waiting for Kim to return my call.

I was glad to see you updated the page with Doug's visit!

Yep a short RR about our U.P. mis-adventures coming soon. It was, as always, a great ride with Gentleman Jim and Reep. And, it was really cool to see Milo again and spend an afternoon getting rusty and greasy in the layers of old machinery surrounding his machine shop. Ya ever seen a house with a PTO shaft coming out the side? Not many pics though... mostly just riding.

Way too cool about Doug and his new RK. Hope we can make a trip out of it... at least it sounds like seeds for another trip to me.
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #2649
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2 View Post
...Fell asleep on the porch waiting for Kim to return my call.
I'm betting that was a mighty satisfying nap. :)

Quote:
I was glad to see you updated the page with Doug's visit!
Roger that. It was a whirlwind seven days, beginning with the 1500-mile round-trip to Florida, and capped off by back-to-back-to-back-to-back days of carving up the mountains, with about four or five hours of sleep each night in between. Living large is hard work. ;)

Quote:
Yep a short RR about our U.P. mis-adventures coming soon.
Awe Some. :)

Quote:
Ya ever seen a house with a PTO shaft coming out the side?
Didn't happen without pix. ;)

Quote:
Not many pics though... mostly just riding.
Sounds like you needed a dedicated photog in the mix... ;)

Quote:
Way too cool about Doug and his new RK. Hope we can make a trip out of it... at least it sounds like seeds for another trip to me.
We all had a ball, including the new biker, and he (and we) can't wait to do it again. He's planning another trip out here next summer, but no dates are inked yet. I'll keep you in the loop.

Looking forward to your RR. Cool beans for you, Reep and GMJ. :)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #2650
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Wednesday we were both on the books at Tilley's H-D down in Statesville, North Carolina: Safety inspection, new battery, and three-fluid change along with oil filter for Doug's RK, and three fluids, oil filter, and new meats for me. We detailed both bikes for the occasion (most everything I know about keeping a machine sano I learned from Doug...), and we were both amped to finally get to ride side-by-side for the very first time.

The plan had been to leg it down the Parkway a'ways before dropping down outta the mountains, so as to give Doug some additional low-workload riding time before the rigors of I-77. There was rain moving in, however, so we studied the radar and made the command decision to climb on the interstate immediately and beat feet down there, threading our way between several incoming squalls, and hoping to arrive dry.

Worked like a charm. :)

This is getting ready to launch, putting some heat in the bikes; we're both pretty stoked. I know y'all know what a big deal this was to both of us: Two brothers, finally in the wind together after all these years. Yep, feels good just typing the words. :)

Photo by Dnutz

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 09:03 AM
Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #2651
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Doug's RK on the lift at Tilley's
Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #2652
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

While the bikes were being serviced we got the nickel tour of Tilleys' "inner sanctum":

If you're at all up on your Tilley's Harley-Davidson motorcycle racing history, then you know you're looking at royalty.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #2653
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Doug insisted I take a photo of this Softail Deluxe; not sure why, and I later forgot to ask. A beauty, to be sure:

Kasey Kahne seems pretty excited...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #2654
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

This is the very first motorcycle Don Tilley sold as a Harley-Davidson dealer. The original owner recently contacted Don and asked him if he'd like to buy this motorcycle back.

I reckon you know the answer.

It's amazing how much has changed, yet how much has remained the same.

What year Shovel is it???
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #2655
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

We got nailed by rain on the ride home from Tilley's (great fun on new tires...), so at zero-dark-thirty Thursday morning we were doing a full-meal-deal wash and detail on both RK's again. Sometimes I think I should just get a Buell Ulysses, so I won't care what it looks like...

Speaking of, Carlost and Prior were hooking up with us this morning. Both of them were skipping out from their real lives to spend the day on two wheels up in the mountains, classic Ferris Bueller stuff.

Doug needed a real motorcycle jacket, so Fox Creek Leather in Independence, Virginia was our first stop. Great folks, and their leather gear rocks. The weather was perfect, and Doug scored a very tasty jacket from FCL. They treated us like gold. They always do.

www.foxcreekleather.com

Lunch stop in Elk Creek, Virginia
Photo by Prior

That's Carlost, Prior and Bro Doug, left to right. Great day, great riding partners.

(For the life of me I can't remember what Prior was yapping about, but Carlost looks like he's about to push out a head gasket as a result...)