Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #2672
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

So this bagger goes by while we're sunning ourselves at Boone's Trace, and Doug makes the comment, "Nice Road King," or words to that effect.

It's not often I get my bro. "No way, bro" says I, "it's got a batwing fairing, so it's obviously an ElectraGlide of some flavor." I puffed myself up and acted like I actually knew what I was talking about.

And to prove I was right, I pulled up the image I just shot on the camera and blew it up about four zillion times normal so I could get a good look at the fender script. Dang if it didn't say "Road King"!!!

Worse, before I could nuke the image and say, "Yep, definitely an EGlide!", Denise sees it and blurts out "Aha, Road King!"

Um, thanks Babe. :(

My big bro was feeling pretty smug at this point, and I felt like a clueless maroon. (So what else is new, Ferris?)

And, in the spirit of brotherly love and all that, I imagine this story will be told and retold for years to come. Heavy sigh.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #2673
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Tucked in for the night in Blowing Rock
Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #2674
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Saturday morning was chilly and cloudy, but it sure felt good to be in the mountains anyway. After fu-fu coffee and breakfast we set out for Grandfather Mountain.

There's a balcony (overlook) just north of the Linn Cove Viaduct, and the LCV visitor center is just south of the viaduct. I showed Doug both, and then parked at the balcony and hiked out to the viaduct, while Doug made a dozen or so photo passes using the balcony and visitor center as u-turn points.

Good practice for him, and a chance for me to hopefully get a quality photo or two of my bro in the wind at this iconic Parkway location.

He did great; I did OK. :)

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 08:41 AM
Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #2675
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #2676
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #2677
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #2678
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

It wasn't the prettiest of days on the Parkway, and I'm guessing we were about two weeks early for the primo fall color, but suck it did not.

Nice. Frikkin. Road King.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #2679
SparkyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Good Luck to Brother Doug

With his new Road King. More excellent pics of you guys on one of my favorite roads. Especially liked the Linn Cove Viaduct shots.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #2680
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

While I was photographing Doug doing laps, a young couple - obviously riders - approached on foot. We exchanged smiles and howdoo's, and the feller asked if I happened to get a photo of them when they rode by. I looked at his jacket, pulled up my pix in preview, put two and two together, and asked if they were on the Gixxer.

"Yeah, that's us!"

"Gotcha!" I said with a grin.

They were stoked, as was I. I gave them my e-mail addy and asked them to ping me in a couple of days so I could send them a high-res version of the photo.

Back at the balcony Doug and I got to yakking with some other riders, and by and by the couple on the Gixxer hiked back, and we ALL got to yakking. They were good-lookin' kids, and a ton of fun, and I asked them if I could take a portrait of them next to their motorcycle - I KNEW I could get a great photo outta the deal.

"Heck yeah!" they said.

I hiked across the Parkway so I could use a lot of zoom, and when ready held up my left hand, encouraging them to wave for the camera. This always works, but usually I get a flat, boring "Gumby" wave. Today was no different - understandable, I guess, since they really didn't know me.

"Hey, c'mon!" I hollered. "Show me some love!!"

Fortunately, my trigger finger was cocked, and love I got! This is another fave photo from our weekend:

Please meet Lisa and Doug, from Johnson City, Tennessee

Awe Some.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #2681
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
With his new Road King. More excellent pics of you guys on one of my favorite roads. Especially liked the Linn Cove Viaduct shots.
Gracias Sparky!!! :)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #2682
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

One last photo from the LCV stop: These fellers had hiked out to get a closer look at the viaduct, and were taking photos of each other in the process. Doug offered to take a pic of the three of them with their camera, and while he did so, I grabbed a couple pix with mine.

When we were done I offered to e-mail them an image, and gave the feller on the right my e-mail addy. I've not yet heard from them, and, to be honest, their English wasn't so good and I'm not entirely sure they understood what I was saying (which, as it turns out, is the case with almost everyone I talk to...).

Anyway, great portrait, and I hope to hear from them. Happy trails, amigos.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #2683
DoctorDoug
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh Lightly Seasoned Harley Rider

So I show up in my Brother's neck of the woods to take delivery of my new (to me) Harley Road King. My first challenge was figuring out how to lift my foot off the ground long enough to get the creature into gear....without the bike tipping over. A challenge that I quickly mastered, if for no other reason than to eliminate personal embarrassment and to promote self preservation. 800 pounds of FHLR resting securely on top of my shifting leg simply didn't sound appealing to me.

Fast Ferris, while a great younger brother, is also a great M/C coach and teacher. Just follow me and do what I do he says. Now there's a twist to the "grow up" years when I was the one in the lead, the big bro, the "do what I do dude" so to speak.

Hit the Parkway we did, ride we did, lean we did, although I didn't succumb to "sharpening the boards" since I didn't want to scratch the new 800 pound machine that I had stewardship over.

Great hosts my brother and S.I.L. Denise. I told them that I may not leave if they continued with the platinum level service, so they ramped it down an octave or two out of fear that I was serious. :-)

A wonderful adventure to say the least. I'm now back in Washington State, sitting at work making occasional motorcycle sounds, and looking forward to the next visit to my Bro and Denise.....and BRP installment. May the seasoning continue.
DoctorDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #2684
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
DoctorDoug - Great to meet you. Let us know the next time you head east.

It was a great weekend and I enjoyed riding with my amigos.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #2685
Dnutz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDoug View Post
I'm now back in Washington State, sitting at work making occasional motorcycle sounds, and looking forward to the next visit to my Bro and Denise.....and BRP installment. May the seasoning continue.
Yessir, looking forward to it!
Dnutz is offline   Reply With Quote