User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #841
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,780
11-26/27-2011: "Weekend Wandering" Rides

There was something powerful going on here, in this ancient, hidden, out-of-the-way little holler tucked up tight against the Virginia/North Carolina border, and I was transfixed by it all. It was partly the solitude, partly the lay of the land, partly that I wasn't quite sure exactly where I was, partly the late-in-the-day lighting, and partly, well....I don't know.

If I'm lucky, I'll encounter a place in my wanderings that has a voice, a story to tell, some magic to share with the inquisitive passerby. Maybe this all sounds trite, or corny, the ramblings of an old man trying to peer through the haze to a distant, romantic past.

Maybe it's just that my morning coffee hasn't fully kicked in.

If you've read this far, if you've followed this thread, then you speak the same language and fully understand.

Five years ago, Dnutz and I moved across the country so that everything would be new, so that each bend in the road would present us with new adventure.

These are the best rides, the ones where the gifts appear unexpectedly and without plan. These gifts don't have to be grand, and sometimes the greatest gifts are the ones that simply cause one to pause and ponder, to step off the treadmill for a quiet moment or two.

Stop, look and listen.

At Nance Park I couldn't help but be smitten by my private, powerful surroundings, treasures from the past. The old bridge down in the holler was just such a treasure, and although home and hearth were calling, the bridge was calling just a little bit louder:

Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #842
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #843
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 12-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #844
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #845
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

But it wasn't until I stopped for these photos that I discovered what was really calling out to me here.
Do you see it?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #846
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
Sir:

I would be remiss if I did not add my thanks to you for the many wonderful photos.

I, too, enjoy trains and have had the opportunity to visit Cass; your pictures are outstanding.

There is much discussion on these boards about the "best" motorcycle but I would be hard pressed to argue any other choice would be as fitting as your Harley for the rides you do.

Ride safe.

Ned
Ned, thanks a million for your kind words! Sometimes I wonder if this stuff resonates with anyone but me, so it's always nice to get a bone tossed this direction. Thank you!

Re: the Road King: Yep, it's been a good machine for me, especially at this stage of my riding career. I love all motorcycles, and wish I could give Jay Leno a run for his money in terms of number and variety, but, well, I can barely afford the one I have.

The RK is pretty much just a heavy "standard" (dare I call it an American "UJM"?) It's got a comfortable, neutral riding position, carries a lot of fuel and payload without batting an eye, gets decent mileage (45 mpg is pretty easy) so has a decent range-to-reserve (180-ish miles), looks darn good IMO, and although it was designed primarily for puttering down a gently winding paved country road, will also mostly/kinda/sorta hold its own in the twisties (blasphemy!), and also does occasional duty as an off-road machine (more blasphemy!)

I could really use a dedicated dirt bike and dedicated sport bike - the RK wasn't designed to be either, of course - but it does OK if I keep its limits in mind. I've cycled through several motorcycles in the past decade or so (two-and-a-half Buells, Honda VFR, Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Yamaha FJR) trying to find "the" one, and the RK is the only one that I haven't kicked to the curb after a year or two. H-D Big Twins aren't for everyone, but that's the beauty of the world we live in, in that there are so many excellent choices. I love 'em all!!

Ned, thanks again, I really appreciate it. Thanks for riding along.

Best.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 AM   #847
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadew View Post
Ferris,
Wonderful ride report and photos,I don't get to ride anymore
do to daughter's illness she needs me more than I to ride.
Your report allows me to enjoy the ride without getting to ride.

You need to check out Spencer Shops in Spencer NC it was largest steam train shop on east coast.NC transportation museum is at Spencer shops and has many trains and shop that restores steam trains,It is a one of a kind place for train lovers,Spencer is just south of Lexington.
papadew, I'm humbled by your kind, heartfelt words. It didn't escape my attention that you chose our thread to make your very first post on ADVrider, and I thank you for that honor, as well. Our best to you and your daughter. I don't mean to be nosy or too personal, but is there a way we can help??

I'm also quite grateful to you for mentioning the Spencer Shops. We've been out here almost five years and yet, somehow, this is the first I've heard of the place, even though it's less than two hours from our home. I spent a long time absorbing their website last night, and I'm as excited as a little kid on Christmas Eve about riding down there soon and paying them a visit. Do you know that you can actually drive a train there? Outstanding!!

Sir, I owe you. Many, many thanks, and best regards to you and your daughter.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #848
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
If you've read this far, if you've followed this thread, then you speak the same language and fully understand.
Did we go to different schools together, brother from another mother or just sick minds think alike?

Great thread that keeps getting better.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #849
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
Did we go to different schools together, brother from another mother or just sick minds think alike?

Great thread that keeps getting better.

Cheers
Bob, long ago me 'n JB2 determined that he and I are twin sons from different mothers.
Perhaps you, me and him are triplets?!?

Thanks for the bone, and for riding along!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #850
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

It would have been real easy to ride right by this gem and not even see it.
What a beauty:

Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #851
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

The original roadway is still in place in both directions leading up to the bridge.
As it was late in the day, I opted not to tempt fate by approaching this grand relic any closer,
reasoning it would be harder to rescue me in the dark. I'll come back at a later date for a closer look:

Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #852
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

George Taylor Road must have been a pretty important thoroughfare back in the day
to warrant such a grand structure over such a modest little watercourse.
As near as I could tell, I was standing at the northwest corner of Nance Park when I took this photo:

I really wanted to hang around and better hear the voices of this old bridge, of the Nance Family Park,
of George Taylor Road, but it was not to be, not today, anyway.

No worries, I know how to get here, and have found an intriguing road on the map that comes in from the west
from a considerable distance and intersects George Taylor Road just up around the bend. I'll be back.

Thank y'all for riding along.

~ The End ~
Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #853
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 380
Triplet sons of different mothers?

Ferris,

Could it be? Do I know bobw? I see he lives in North Catolina and quotes Chopper Reid under his pen name. Hell if he rides he's gotta be one of us... er, uh 1/3 of us. WTF, you know what I mean.

So you gonna drag him down to Big Jim's Ride in May?

Cool bridge BTW. Is there a way we could get a scooter parked on there for a calendar shot? I'll bet we could get Alex to try it, Alex will try anything.

JB1/3
JB2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #854
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2 View Post
Ferris,

Could it be? Do I know bobw? I see he lives in North Catolina and quotes Chopper Reid under his pen name. Hell if he rides he's gotta be one of us... er, uh 1/3 of us. WTF, you know what I mean.

So you gonna drag him down to Big Jim's Ride in May?
Bob, it sounds like you (and Chopper Reid) have been invited to the tenth annual Big Jim's Ride in and around Franklin, North Carolina next Memorial Day weekend. I hope you like moonshine......

Quote:
Cool bridge BTW. Is there a way we could get a scooter parked on there for a calendar shot? I'll bet we could get Alex to try it, Alex will try anything.

JB1/3
JB2, I was wondering the same thing. I'm game to try. I sure think it would make a worthy addition to your calendar, especially if Alex manages to accidentally throw his Uly in the water during the photo shoot!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #855
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Big Jim's Ride 2011

Bob, here's a good look at most of the players at this year's Big Jim's Ride.
This was taken just after my Mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer:

You can tell it's still relatively early in the evening: Everyone's still drinking beer.
Not to worry, most of these folks usually aren't particularly dangerous...............