Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Dirt Cheap Ride

....here's the deal....

Put your money away.... and ride for less then a bike payment.... ( defined
as 384 dollars ) All money spent to include the bike, food and lodging. This means you have to acquire/Build the bike for less then 384 bucks... and the closer you get to that as your total the higher the chances you'll have to sleep in a pup tent and eat Ramon...

November 4-6 in Tennessee's best riding roads.... a little dirt... a little
winding road and a bit of actual 2 lane country roads.... we're riding
three loops... one per day and staying in a fairly cheap motorcycle inn...
Deeep in motorcycle heaven....

First day... 125 miles of gravel roads at the start of the Trans America
Trail

Second day...a loop around the famed "Tail of the Dragon" and the Cherohalla
skyway

Day 3 will include a bit of semi high speed riding... ( read a bit of 55mph
road )... and an over land trip on the Blue ridge parkway to Maggie
Valley.... culminating in a personal visit through the Wheels through time
Museum.

There is absolutely No reason to do this trip other then to prove to society
that we don't need money to have a great time with good friends riding
motorcycles on the cheap.

Keith
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm still working on parts of this ride.... Dale's place on day three is still up for grab's...

We've also got a Facebook group for those of us that are serious about doing this....

So far the bikes coming include....

a early 80's Goldwing

Yamaha Venture ( think Bigger then a bus )

Kawasaki H1

Yamaha DT 175 and a 250

400 HondaMatic

Sl 350 ( think Coat of many colors )...

We're trying to keep it down in size.... but if your really interested you can find me on facebook and follow along or we'll keep this thread going....
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

So... thinking this doesn't sound like you guys? Really.... are old scooters only cool to turn into Cafe Racers???

Think about it.... do you like a challange? to you accept Challanges? to you like Motorcycles? like to ride??

Just saying....here's your opportunity to prove your mechanical manliness to the world.... ( or yourself which ever comes first )....

Hmmm
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 708
Like the idea but, "...pup tent and eat Ramon". -- who's Ramon? And does he understand the rules of the game?

Seriously, I like the idea, like the low buudget rallies in contrast to the big Dakar- types, but I am too far away and have too many obligations as it is.

Good luck! I would love to at least read about it.
Chico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I've written a couple of ride reports in the past and expect this one to be a hoot... here's a couple of my others

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646128

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639221
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm going to try and post a picture of the 350 I'm working on for the trip.... hmmmm

Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Where in the hell did someone find an H1 for under 400 bucks? Out of all the once on the list i could see at that price would be the 400matic.

I beat you to it though on my 100 dollar CB350F a few months ago.

Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

man... that bike is Mint for this program.... might not be the greatest dirt bike in the world...but will rock the Dragon and trip over to Wheels Through Time .... and is about riding bikes...

The H1 is a great story... I bought it off a recycling truck... in other words a guy taking it to a Junk yard to sell it for scrap.

After I'd given him 35 bucks for it... he knew he could nick me the next week on a Junk SL350 Honda he found rotting on the ground..... and I gave him 40 for it....

Amazing junk .... Barn find stories rock
Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post
man... that bike is Mint for this program.... might not be the greatest dirt bike in the world...but will rock the Dragon and trip over to Wheels Through Time .... and is about riding bikes...

The H1 is a great story... I bought it off a recycling truck... in other words a guy taking it to a Junk yard to sell it for scrap.

After I'd given him 35 bucks for it... he knew he could nick me the next week on a Junk SL350 Honda he found rotting on the ground..... and I gave him 40 for it....

No photos, no bikes. Facebook doesn't count.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm just now sorting out how I'm going to cover this trip..... I've always like this as the base forum...ADVRIDER is where I tag...and generally hang out .... so like you say... the whole gig is worthless without pictures....

Here are some of the bikes that are looking at coming....

Jack's Yamaha DT175

Scott's H1 ( Kawasaki 500 Triple ) recovered from a junk yard ....

Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

again with the pictures thing... Gonna have to sort this out ..... one of the issues that guys are sending and posting the pictures on face book cause it's easy..... recovering them is harder.... might have to get them to e-mail them to me and let me put them on a cloud....

All of this should be invisible in the ride report... but it represents the reality of trying to put this junk together.... bare with me a couple of days and I'll sort this all out....

Picture quality is another issue that has to be resolved..

All just Stuff....
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post

I give every metal scrapper my number telling me i'll pay double scrap price for any old bikes they find. Still haven't got any phone calls....

I took mine from this:

To this:

Obviously, a suspension upgrade is in the cards soon. Riding around a corner completely bottomed out isn't exactly ideal.

1500 miles in a weekend, Didn't miss a beat. Well.. minus dropping the chain on I-77 at midnight in the Virgina mountains...

My bike is now over the 384 dollar mark since i just dismantled it for all new gaskets and rings... But the mileage i've put on it in the past 2 years excluding tires, oil changes, and gas works out to just over a penny per mile.

Mgbgt89 screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 05:27 PM
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #13
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

So.... one of the things we have here is flexiblity.... a barn find like that and your mileage make it very viable.... none of us would have an issue with your outlay in maintenence costs....

( I just read your MGBGT logo ).... so are you going to hate me if I mention there's a 1956 Healey 100/4 in my garage I bought as a kid? ( or I've owned it over 30yrs )

K
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
KenSettle
n00b

Oddometer: 2
my dirt cheap ride

So this is my trusty steed (I hear it's big as a bus) for my dirt cheap ride...a 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale. A guy essentially paid me $50 to take it. Okay... he paid me $200 to rebuild his carbs that he had disassembled himself, and then sold it to me for $150 when it was determined that it would only run on 2 cylinders. He'd had enough and simply didn't want to spend any more money on it as it had already done some time at another shop. It's been sitting behind my shop (under a car port, but outside nonetheless) for almost 2 years, but it meets Mr Turk's criteria quite nicely.
I had checked the bike for compression (surprisingly good by the way), and I knew the carbs were good, and it also had a bright white spark on all 4 cylinders, but the right 2 cylinders just would not fire no matter what... not even on starter fluid...nothing. I thought perhaps it had a bad pickup coil, until I wheeled it into the shop and started to clean out all the stuff that gets left in the saddlebags and trunks of a bike that's been left for dead. That's when I found a spare set of pickup coils and a rusted cdi in the trunk, along with some chrome polish (obviously never used) some unmentionanables (hopefully never used) and the usual batch of hand tools (probably misused). That really got me thinking that someone had been down this path before, and being that the CDI in the trunk was definitely bad, and that was probably the initial problem, I needed to look elsewhere. At this point... I know it has spark, and someone has changed the key ignition parts already, I'm a little puzzled, but being that someone has been messing with it... I decide to check the plug wires at the coils... if I can find the coils. After what seemed like too much disassembly, I got to the them. These coils are tucked way in there.. like WAY in there behind the radiator shrouds and above the front cylinder inside of the plastic jungle that is an early 80's venture, I found the plug wires for the right side cylinders were reversed.... and VIOLA!!! It runs on all 4 cylinders! They were even nice enough to leave me a bottle of brake fluid in the trunk so when I bled the brakes (don't get me started on the procedure for bleeding the front brakes of this bike) and the clutch, I didn't have to use any of my own. Total investment to date.... -$50
Attached Images

KenSettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
KenSettle
n00b

Oddometer: 2
the contents of the trunk
Attached Images

KenSettle is offline   Reply With Quote