Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
tylenol9999 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
klr 650 for long distance touring

Hello All,
I am planning a trip from So Cal to Alaska. I am considering the klr 650 for the job. Has any one done a similar trip, if so i would like to know your opinions.
tylenol9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
Well, the farthest tour I've done on my KLR was 5000 miles last summer, and I'll admit that, after a week I was ready to get off the thing, but that would probably be true of any bike. Seriously, I think the KLR is the best lightweight touring bike on the planet. It'll work great.
CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
tylenol9999 OP
n00b

I did a 14 day 6000 mile trip on my old 2000 Suzuki gsxr-600, the seat is pretty good on so it was not that bad. Ridding in snow was some what exciting thoght. lol
Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Perfect Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol9999
Hello All,
I am planning a trip from So Cal to Alaska. I am considering the klr 650 for the job. Has any one done a similar trip, if so i would like to know your opinions.

I think the KLR650 is perfect for this. I've owned 2 and put about 20K miles total on them. Never a trip like the one you are planning, but I would have no qualms about doing it. You may want to get a pannier system from someone like Happy Trails to hold your gear.

I think if you google the web with the words Alaska and KLR650 you might get some hits....
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
I think it depends mostly on how the bike fits YOU. People have done crazy long distance on every imaginable bike, so anything is possible. Personally I feel as or more comfortable on my KLR as any bike I've owned, and that includes an Electra Glide and an R100RT(pretty cushy bikes). For me the upright sitting position with legs comfortably down is what makes the difference, of course I've got a bad hip, leg,and knee (three different incidents). Wind protection is secondary, but the stock windscreen redirects most of the air off my chest so I don't fatigue that way. With my skinny ass I haven't found a seat on any bike that is not going to leave me a bit sore on long days, I have found that after 8 or 9 hundred miles that I go numb and it doesn't matter anymore anyway.

Point is you have to know what works for you, and sometimes you have to go through quite a few bikes to figure that out, but the KLR is probably IMO one of the more capable bikes for long distance in this catagory of bikes...which is one of the main reasons I have one!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,739
I did Maine to Alaska. Bike was great for that trip.
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,289
Get a good seat. It helps a lot. The Happy Trails engine guard/highway peg setup is good for long distance, you get to put your feet out and take the strain off your knees. Go look at the KLR thread. The big one. Lots of good stuff there.
"KLR Stories"

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Even a girl can do it...

Click Me!

Or, you can go further south...

Click Me too!

Both by Colleen; she's amazing (and pretty easy on the eyes).
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,104
Simply echoing the above...the bike is more than capable enough, it's whether or not you're comfortable on it. Spend some time adjusting the ergo's to suit (handlebar height & angle, levers, pedals, windscreen, etc.). The bike won't care about a trip like that, but you'll decide whether or not it's a success based upon how comfortable you are.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
Simply echoing the above...the bike is more than capable enough, it's whether or not you're comfortable on it. Spend some time adjusting the ergo's to suit (handlebar height & angle, levers, pedals, windscreen, etc.). The bike won't care about a trip like that, but you'll decide whether or not it's a success based upon how comfortable you are.
I will say this though; if you wanna get there in a hurry and take a lot of highway and not much byway, you'd do better on a DL
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

Old 03-16-2005, 11:58 PM   #11
tylenol9999 OP
n00b

Hello All,

Thank you for all of your input. It is much appreciated. I am in no hurry to acctually get to alaska. I have always liked the klr 650, it looks like its a rugged simple bike. I know that the bike has not been changed in a number of years and for that reason i will be looking for a used one with lesser amount of miles, this way i can buy some nice panniers. I might even end up using my soft saddle bags that i used on my previous trip. But these aluminum panniers from Happy Trail sure look like they would stand up to the task a bit better.

Keep the comments coming, i have been lurking around this board for a while, I try to read as much as i can and learn from other peoples experiences.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #12
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Quote:
Hello All,

Thank you for all of your input. It is much appreciated. I am in no hurry to acctually get to alaska. I have always liked the klr 650, it looks like its a rugged simple bike. I know that the bike has not been changed in a number of years and for that reason i will be looking for a used one with lesser amount of miles, this way i can buy some nice panniers. I might even end up using my soft saddle bags that i used on my previous trip. But these aluminum panniers from Happy Trail sure look like they would stand up to the task a bit better.

Keep the comments coming, i have been lurking around this board for a while, I try to read as much as i can and learn from other peoples experiences.
Save some money and do a search on 'mermite cans' in this site...

Old 03-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #13
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Hello All,

Depends on how many miles a day. Anybody can ride anything 300 miles a day but if you are putting in those occasional or regular 600+ mile days, then you have an issue. However the issue 100% goes away with a custom saddle. Since you'll be getting such a cheap bike, throw a bit more onto it by getting that right saddle for you. As a bonus, you can adapt it to other bikes if you see fit.

Having had a KLR, if I were doing AK, I"d just do it, but the saddle / bike fit me fine.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #14
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,458
KLR is great platform....

I did a blasting ride from Wisconsin to Hondruas and back to Texas...KLR were the ticket......laoded...reliable...fast enough.....I did taost my stock chain at 10,000 miles otherwise let's see...a burnt tail light was the only problem.... here is more...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72219
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #15
mb182
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
KLR and Long distance

Check out Motorcycle Consumer News. They have been doing series on a KLR that has gone all over including Alaska. A lot of info on the mods needed to address KLR issues.

MB182
mb182 is offline   Reply With Quote