Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #136
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Seth, what in the world wears out your pads so fast. I have 12K miles on my 690 and about 4K of that is dirt but mostly desert riding (no mud) and am still on my original pads. Is it the mud?
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #137
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
Seth, what in the world wears out your pads so fast. I have 12K miles on my 690 and about 4K of that is dirt but mostly desert riding (no mud) and am still on my original pads. Is it the mud?
You ever ridden with Seth?

The guy can flat out smoke on his 690. He's either on the pipe or on the brakes...no in between.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #138
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,061
Quote:

I've gone through about 4 sets of rears and 2 or 3 sets of fronts in the last 7000 miles. I ride mud, sand rocks. When I race and trail ride I tend to do a lot of trail braking into corners....lightly drag the rear brake as I find it helps settle the bike. I've done maybe 10 rally moto's with the bike which is a lot of high speed and medium to hard braking which is not like street riding. Plus you get the additional wear from dirt/mud/sand contamination. My rear rotor was replaced for the race as it was at min thickness at 7000 miles or so. The front rotor is still fine.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #139
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post

I'm either re-upping on the HTs or trying their x-circuit.
I've run the HT and the x-circuit already and I think I prefer the x-circuit. I got 1800miles out of the x and 1100-1300 (can't remember exactly) out of the ht riding in the same conditions. The x corners better offroad, I would go so far as to say the best cornering (higher speed offroad) tire I've run, but the HT pulls the big hillclimbs slightly better. I'm contemplating another x mounted backwards to help clean the tread in loose conditions like shale and mud as I think it would then pull the full throttle hillclimbs equal to the HT and do better most everywhere else. They both work well in rocks, but I usually opt for my spare wheel with an mt43 when all I will be riding is rock. Both tires are loud on the highway, especially the x, but the x rides smoother.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #140
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000 View Post
Here is another one for you.....

I just got back from "a" KTM dealer (not the one I usually deal with ) and yesterday by phone I had them put aside for me the last set of brembo rear brake pads which I picked up this morning.
Well turns out, after driving (my freaken cage cause of rain today) they are not brembo but EBC. I bought them anyways cause I needed them now but wasn't happy with the dealer. When I got home , they looked very familiar so I checked in my tool box and found a set of used pads (but still lots of life left to them ) that I pulled out of my BMW650GS and yes , the exact same thing. So both model use the same pads.

My questions: What do you guys think of EBC pads? and should I stick with Brembo?
All I can say about EBC is that their HH sintered pads are the best stuff I ever road raced with. That and they cost more then the Brembo's
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #141
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Wow! I've gone through like 3 sets up front and 2 on the back in 21K miles and the fronts are about done again. Most of my riding is street riding.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #142
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,061
I brought enough pads for a set a day on the rear and a set every other day on the front. The rally covers 300 to 500 miles...roughly a day. All the terrain is sand, rocks, and loose dirt so I figured I was getting a deal on pads and I'd be safe. I might come back with 6 new rears and 2 new fronts.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #143
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I have 4745km (2948 miles) and my rear pads were to the metal. I forgot to check them so I figure I would have changed them much earlier than that as they scratched the disc a little. On my last ride it was the sound that gave it away lol. Front are almost done also , only a few rides left in them.
I do mostly offroad but no competitions.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #144
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Hey Cranky can you pm me price shipped to 89406 and a time line for delivery on a rear motoz?
PM on the way....
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #145
.chris
690 Advenduro

Oddometer: 75
Jeepers Seth you must be hard on your pads. I have gone through one set of OEM front/rear, and 3 cheap rear pads.
I have been replacing the rear with some cheap generic ones, but the front I have been replacing with the Brembo dirt pads, I feel they are worth 4x the price, would seem a waste to have such nice brakes/rotors and use shitty pads (well on the front at least).
Oh, I have also worn out one rear rotor (worn out same time as the OEM rear pads).

I am now having clutch problems, seems my slave cylinder is leaking a bit, I bled the system a while back (lazy top down bleed) the discharge was pretty messy, but the clutch seemed fine afterwards, but now 3 months on, I am having to top up the master cylinder every week or so.

Have people had any luck just replacing the o-rings/gaskets?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #146
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Here ya go http://sigutech.com/index.php?option...d=28&Itemid=47

Group buy done awhile back. Sounds like everybody is happy with them.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #147
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

So, couple days ago I checked the oil and it was low for the first time ever. I figured with how hard I ride it and that it does have 21K miles on it now I guess I can live with a little oil burning. I added oil and did another 250 mile ride and when I got back checked it and it was low again. Then I noticed a few streaks of oil on the swing arm. Little light goes off on top of my head and I think well hell it's a KTM. Yank the cover off the front sprocket and sure enough there's oil everywhere, along with a puddle in the skid plate. Pull the sprocket off and check the counter shaft bushing and yup it's grooved.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #148
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

HID problem...2/3 rev limiter related?

I installed a new HID conversion headlight a few days ago and noticed that it would occasionaly cut out (shut off) while riding. It doesn't happen when hitting bumps, or after switching between hi/low beams, or when the tail light/ turn signals come on. After a short ride this evening, I found that the only time it cuts out is when I hit the rev limiter (which happens at some point almost every ride, this is a toy afterall!) I can just flip to high beam (halogen) and back to low and it will restrike the HID, but there must be some deeper reason this happens?

Does anyone have any idea why this happens? I admittedly suck with electrical and would rather not have to worry about restriking my headlight mid corner or flipping my high beam on and blinding someone else when the HID low beam cuts out.

On a related note, besides the write up that got lost in the megathread, does anyone know where there is a how-to on removing the second and third gear rev limiters, or could someone explain it to me in electrical lamens terms? While this may not be the right way to solve my headlight problem, it seems to only happen in second and third gears and I've been wanting to do away with the limiters there anyway.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #149
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I installed a new HID conversion headlight a few days ago and noticed that it would occasionaly cut out (shut off) while riding. It doesn't happen when hitting bumps, or after switching between hi/low beams, or when the tail light/ turn signals come on. After a short ride this evening, I found that the only time it cuts out is when I hit the rev limiter (which happens at some point almost every ride, this is a toy afterall!) I can just flip to high beam (halogen) and back to low and it will restrike the HID, but there must be some deeper reason this happens?

Does anyone have any idea why this happens? I admittedly suck with electrical and would rather not have to worry about restriking my headlight mid corner or flipping my high beam on and blinding someone else when the HID low beam cuts out.

On a related note, besides the write up that got lost in the megathread, does anyone know where there is a how-to on removing the second and third gear rev limiters, or could someone explain it to me in electrical lamens terms? While this may not be the right way to solve my headlight problem, it seems to only happen in second and third gears and I've been wanting to do away with the limiters there anyway.
Here's what I used for the limiter. Works well.
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=65748
Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #150
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Here's what I used for the limiter. Works well.
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=65748
Way cool, thanks! I'll give that a try and report back with my results.