Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #1501
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
That's what happens if you quickly read the site on your smartphone, small screen, hurry hurry, miss the plot!

Yeah, there's more to it than just the pics

The plot is full of twists, turns, and surprise endings....hang on for the ride....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #1502
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
I see, you take the 6 year old out for a ride

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #1503
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I have a "water problem". Every time I wash the bike, I get an FI fault and it won't start for a couple hours until it dries completely. I do use a power washer but not close and never an any of the seals. I'm heading to Inuvik this summer and could experience lots of rain so am concerned. I haven't ridden in the rain much as I live in southern Arizona. Other than put lots of dielectric grease on all the connectors, what else should I look for and do. Thanks
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #1504
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
I have a "water problem". Every time I wash the bike, I get an FI fault and it won't start for a couple hours until it dries completely.
I have the same issue but mine is manifested slightly differently. I jet wash it and it will start perfectly. Then after running a bit, it refuses to idle. It will be like this for about 3 miles until fully dry. Some suggested it might be water in airbox but I suspect water creeping into something.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #1505
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
would that be a subdermal or a patch?
Bloody Ipad Autospell

Any way i don't know if this has been posted but the Xtrig pre load adjuster from the 990SM & 950SM should fit the 690's being that the shock bodys are 52mm x 1.5 thread pitch.will need to make a mod for the canister cradle makes for a handy bit of bling and easy set up from race mode to travel with load

KTM 990 Supermoto/990 Supermoto T Preload Adjuster

KTM Part Number: 62004912000

Mudguts screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 04:01 PM
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #1506
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Hey Ged
i like the M12 for the front. good wear and very good feel. not dot but i dont give a shit
Define good wear cause I wear one of those suckers out in nothing flat!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #1507
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
I have a "water problem". Every time I wash the bike, I get an FI fault and it won't start for a couple hours until it dries completely. I do use a power washer but not close and never an any of the seals. I'm heading to Inuvik this summer and could experience lots of rain so am concerned. I haven't ridden in the rain much as I live in southern Arizona. Other than put lots of dielectric grease on all the connectors, what else should I look for and do. Thanks
Washing and riding in the rain is not the same. I never have any problems in the rain, but have problems after washing it "too much". I think that problem is on the right upper side (where electronic is) because if I pay attention not to spray there, then are no problems.
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #1508
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Mine did that (no start after wash). The spark plug cap had a teared rubber boot. replaced and no problems anymore.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #1509
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have investigated using these,but will not fit.We are now having some custom-made shocks,with R travel,which will have a remote chamber,to be fixed to the frame.This will make them run cooler,and more oil capacity.
We expect them to retail for about £650 UK,plus shipping.

www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk
Hi Mitch,
These as in the purple pumps specifically, or a normal rally shock?
Interresting that you will soon have one, but i think thats not soon enough for the touareg :)
Why are you sticking to the standard R travel instead of going up a bit?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #1510
Xico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Picked up some closed chamber forks for the 690.
Anybody see a problem with drilling and tapping the holes for the speedo pickup??
Seems a lot simpler than shipping a bracket from Europe.
What are the are recommended closed chamber forks for the 690?
Xico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1511
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Hi Mitch,
These as in the purple pumps specifically, or a normal rally shock?
Interresting that you will soon have one, but i think thats not soon enough for the touareg :)
Why are you sticking to the standard R travel instead of going up a bit?
It is not possible to fit a longer shock,to increase rear wheel travel,as the underside of the swinging arm will hit the rear master cylinder.
We looked at a normal 690RR shock.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #1512
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
It is not possible to fit a longer shock,to increase rear wheel travel,as the underside of the swinging arm will hit the rear master cylinder.
We looked at a normal 690RR shock.
Hi

I run a longer rear shock with no problem

My R rear shock is 4.5 mm longer than stock, that’s all that’s needed to keep the same geometry when using 300mm travel forks without pushing them through the clamps

But to keep the same wheel base you need to adjust the triple clamps (see here for 690 Enduro R Adjustable Triple Clamps ) to 22mm Offset

Louis
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #1513
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Thought I'd share my Bos slip-on mounted on my SMC. Most seem to run Akrapovic, FMF etc. The Bos comes with an open airfilter cover. My bike did already have this when I bought it. According to the seller the db killer is modified to allow a little more sound. I love the sound and can highly recommend the kit.

12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #1514
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,026
Just a brief report on the Vortex FI system. Installation is not too bad otherwise than having to make sure the idle set screw is set correctly. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to route the FI cable that connects to the Vortex ECU. Not a big deal but you have to spend some time experimenting. The bike seems to take a little bit longer to start compared to the stock ECU. Not sure why and it still fires pretty quickly. It seems that all the maps with this ECU are for an open air box. I have the standard air box with a twin air foam filter so again not sure about that one. The bike comes set on Map 1 -full power with softer initial throttle. I left it there and went for a ride around town and for sure it is way way way faster than my bike has ever been. I have not tested any other maps so far, but just with Map 1 the cost of the Vortex was worth it. I will report further when and if I try other maps!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #1515
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
and so it begins....

I've had my 08 E model for a few months now but time for the fun stuff has been limited. 90% of my riding has been city tarmac.

I bought the bike with a Safari tank already mounted but since I don't have any significant trips lined up at the moment, yesterday I decided to remove it for a bit to see how the bike feels without it.

I've also recently purchased some other items and set about to getting them installed.

When I took the tank off yesterday, I installed a used FMF pipe bought from an inmate.

Size comparison for those interested:

While I was doing the 15 min idle, I went to check on the tank bolts.....which apparently, I should have done a lot sooner.

The left one dropped into my hand when I touched it. The right one doesn't seem like it's in either, but I won't be pulling it out until the new bolts arrive.

There were a bunch of things on my Rally-Raid wish list, so I imagine I'll be placing an order soon. Being in Vancouver, I know I could get just the bolts from KTM Twins sooner, but there's a few other bits that I don't think they have.

I know there were some sold through this site before, but I don't think Mudguts is producing them anymore. I've inquired, but have not heard anything back. If someone has a North America solution, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll go across the pond.

Also, just to confirm with those that have fitted the FMF pipe...

The stock silencer has two mounting brackets on top. The one closest to the bike is threaded to receive the bolts.

Since I bought used, there were no instructions, but I'm ASSuming that the FMF pipe bracket is attached on the tank side, like so....

If I'm wrong, let the feedback begin!

Thanks,

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote