Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #1516
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
That looks about right. I put a dab of Loctite on those muffler bolts though.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #1517
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
That looks about right. I put a dab of Loctite on those muffler bolts though.
Thanks.

Yeah, I see a lot of Loctite-ing in my future. I just wanted to get everything on and lined up first.
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #1518
asheville thumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Enduro --> SM setup

I'm about to pull the trigger on some SM wheels for my 690.

For those that have 17" wheels, what's the best rear sprocket size to run while maintaining the stock 15 front sprocket and stock chain length.
asheville thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #1519
masterreset
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by asheville thumper View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on some SM wheels for my 690.

For those that have 17" wheels, what's the best rear sprocket size to run while maintaining the stock 15 front sprocket and stock chain length.
I'm running 15:42 with the stock chain on my 17" wheels and I'm happy with that. Up to 15:40 should work.
masterreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #1520
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Safari + Rad Guard

Does anyone know of any fitment issues with any of the rad guard options with a Safari tank installed?

I'm looking at either the RR options or the KTM one. Considering a full screen or just the brace that goes around the outside of the rad.

I know the Safari provides a little bit of lateral protection, but not sure if it's enough.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #1521
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Does anyone know of any fitment issues with any of the rad guard options with a Safari tank installed?

I'm looking at either the RR options or the KTM one. Considering a full screen or just the brace that goes around the outside of the rad.

I know the Safari provides a little bit of lateral protection, but not sure if it's enough.

C
I don't think you will have any issues with the RR guard and the Safari tank. I don't know about the KTM unit. I ran an RR guard with my RR tanks and there was plenty of clearance. I used to run a Safari tank and it fits similar to the RR's on the side of the radiator.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #1522
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I don't think you will have any issues with the RR guard and the Safari tank. I don't know about the KTM unit. I ran an RR guard with my RR tanks and there was plenty of clearance. I used to run a Safari tank and it fits similar to the RR's on the side of the radiator.
I had a hell of a time getting the ktm gaurd to work with the rr tanks. So im not running a gaurd right now.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #1523
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,603
Anyone have a set passenger pegs they dont need? Im starting a rtw trip april 1. I figure a single guy needs the option of picking up a female once in a while.

I also have a bunch of stock parts if anyone is interested. Radiator screen, rad gaurd, skid plate, front and rear sprockets, seat foam and cover, muffler, and a rr twin air kit with 2 filters. Pm offers. I think everyone here probably does the same mods so these parts are probably not needed.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #1524
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Anyone have a set passenger pegs they dont need? Im starting a rtw trip april 1. I figure a single guy needs the option of picking up a female once in a while.

I also have a bunch of stock parts if anyone is interested. Radiator screen, rad gaurd, skid plate, front and rear sprockets, seat foam and cover, muffler, and a rr twin air kit with 2 filters. Pm offers. I think everyone here probably does the same mods so these parts are probably not needed.
Yours ....and local too. Down the hill in Santa Clarita. Now how's that for service?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #1525
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 241
Just for your info...I was having issues with my 690 fuel pump. I'd be riding along with the bike warmed up all good and then it would just stall. I tried to turn off the key and restart, but I couldn't hear the fuel pump run when I turned the key on. Booo. After 5 minutes of sitting, I could turn the key and the pump would run up again and off I'd go. After reading a bunch of threads on this problem I figured I'd replace the fuel filter. I took the tank off (pita) and yanked the pump and filter out. Filter was black and filled with crap. Definitely no good. The pump was also missing the pickup screen and was out of the little case that holds it in place. I have no idea where the screen went, but changed the filter and put it all back together. It works great now! Much better throttle response (especially when cold) and no more stalling.

Change that filter, folks! I think it's something to do with the plastic inside the tank gumming up the filter.
avocadofarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #1526
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Just for your info...I was having issues with my 690 fuel pump. I'd be riding along with the bike warmed up all good and then it would just stall. I tried to turn off the key and restart, but I couldn't hear the fuel pump run when I turned the key on. Booo. After 5 minutes of sitting, I could turn the key and the pump would run up again and off I'd go. After reading a bunch of threads on this problem I figured I'd replace the fuel filter. I took the tank off (pita) and yanked the pump and filter out. Filter was black and filled with crap. Definitely no good. The pump was also missing the pickup screen and was out of the little case that holds it in place. I have no idea where the screen went, but changed the filter and put it all back together. It works great now! Much better throttle response (especially when cold) and no more stalling.

Change that filter, folks! I think it's something to do with the plastic inside the tank gumming up the filter.

make sure you have a good pickup filter on the intake side of the pump otherwise you risk freezing the pump with junk.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #1527
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,446
I know this was discussed in the old mega thread, but what exactly is the recommended solution for filtering the pump inlet? Is this the filter-fabric sock the goes over the pump?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #1528
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I know this was discussed in the old mega thread, but what exactly is the recommended solution for filtering the pump inlet? Is this the filter-fabric sock the goes over the pump?
the profil is the sock and it works well if you can get it. the newer pumps fixed the leak by one the stock filter pickup and they work better. Also it would not hurt to put one of the filler neck filters in to screen the fuel out of the pump. gas in usa and canada is usualyclean but other countries maybe not.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #1529
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Just a brief report on the Vortex FI system. Installation is not too bad otherwise than having to make sure the idle set screw is set correctly. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to route the FI cable that connects to the Vortex ECU. Not a big deal but you have to spend some time experimenting. The bike seems to take a little bit longer to start compared to the stock ECU. Not sure why and it still fires pretty quickly. It seems that all the maps with this ECU are for an open air box. I have the standard air box with a twin air foam filter so again not sure about that one. The bike comes set on Map 1 -full power with softer initial throttle. I left it there and went for a ride around town and for sure it is way way way faster than my bike has ever been. I have not tested any other maps so far, but just with Map 1 the cost of the Vortex was worth it. I will report further when and if I try other maps!
Thanks for the update. If you get a chance, do some real slow technical stuff and see if you can get it to flame out.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #1530
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterreset View Post
I'm running 15:42 with the stock chain on my 17" wheels and I'm happy with that. Up to 15:40 should work.
+1 on this fun.

15/45 made 1st useless and HIGHway revs.

I bought a 40 too but have not yet swapped. Am curious to see if I can get proper chain tension.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote