Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #151
Roadcat
The Lordly Keeper Of

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000 View Post
I have 4745km (2948 miles) and my rear pads were to the metal. I forgot to check them so I figure I would have changed them much earlier than that as they scratched the disc a little. On my last ride it was the sound that gave it away lol. Front are almost done also , only a few rides left in them.
I do mostly offroad but no competitions.
Sounds to me like your brake peddle might be suffering from "KTM binding".
Roadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #152
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Lately it seems my bike wants to take a nap on its left side a lot (damn lazy KTMs ). Every time it takes this nap I bend my gear shift . Any suggestions on a more robust shifter or is there a way to protect it better ???
Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #153
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I thought the US bikes didn't have the limiter? I've hit the rev limiter twice since I've owned the bike and that was the first day I rode it I ride the mid range, I'm not a big fan of wild out of control wheel spin I guess
Old 09-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #154
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
It would be interesting to spend a day riding with everyone, just see how differently we use this bike! I though the beautiful thing about the close ratio transmission was that every shift your in the power and don't have to worry about winding the thing out to the rev limiter 'til you go looking for seventh gear, lol

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #155
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I thought the US bikes didn't have the limiter? I've hit the rev limiter twice since I've owned the bike and that was the first day I rode it I ride the mid range, I'm not a big fan of wild out of control wheel spin I guess
I felt a difference in the low to mid-range in 2&3 after the "fix". I didn't feel a difference anywhere else. Could be my imagination though. You guys with the Vortex or TuneECU probably wouldn't benefit??
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #156
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
It would be interesting to spend a day riding with everyone, just see how differently we use this bike! I though the beautiful thing about the close ratio transmission was that every shift your in the power and don't have to worry about winding the thing out to the rev limiter 'til you go looking for seventh gear, lol
I'm always looking for that 7th gear.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #157
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Here ya go http://sigutech.com/index.php?option...d=28&Itemid=47

Group buy done awhile back. Sounds like everybody is happy with them.
Yup. That cured my problem. I ordered using google translate and corresponded with him via email to figure out the total cost. Great product and a painless process considering the language difference.

Someone did, though, post the part number for a replacement o-ring that would work. I'm afraid that's lost in the big thread implosion.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #158
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I felt a difference in the low to mid-range in 2&3 after the "fix". I didn't feel a difference anywhere else. Could be my imagination though. You guys with the Vortex or TuneECU probably wouldn't benefit??
Also, anyone that has the akra map.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #159
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I'm always looking for that 7th gear.
+1
Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #160
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
Exactly, which is why the 690 is such an awesome motard. But for dual sporting, most people want a nice granny gear for doing steep rocky climbs and a nice overdrive for hiway speeds. Only get that with a wide ratio tranny.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #161
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Lately it seems my bike wants to take a nap on its left side a lot (damn lazy KTMs ). Every time it takes this nap I bend my gear shift . Any suggestions on a more robust shifter or is there a way to protect it better ???
I use a hammerhead designs shifter http://www.hdmoto.com/ProductDetails...uctCode=KTM1SL (part number ktm1, but there are still a bunch of variations of color/length/etc) and it has held up thus far.

I also use a "brake snake" similar to this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/24373111@N08/2770001380/ that runs down through the shifter's pivot (the hammerhead pivot pin has a hole running vertically through it) and then forward to the skidplate to help keep it from getting bent.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #162
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The US bikes definately have the limiter, but to be honest, I hit it more on twisty paved backroads than I do in the dirt... the only time I get wheel spin on asphalt is coming out of a corner hot. Wheel spin is usually a problem in the dirt long before the rev limiter. I did hit the rev limiter in 4th on sunday, somewhere in the neighborhood of 85mph and really it takes so long to wind up from higher speeds (wind resistance and what not) that I typically would have shifted MUCH earlier, but I wanted to see if it cut out in the same manner as 2/3... it does, just at a higher rpm.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #163
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

I think there's some confusion about the limiter. There's the rev limiter which protects the engine from over revving, when you hit a certain RPM, the engine cuts out, and then there is the 2nd,3rd gear limiter that doesn't allow more then something like 80% throttle when you wick the throttle WFO. It's a more of a nanny thing to prevent looping the bike.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #164
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 405
If you want to test whether there's a limiter you can just unplug the plug that gets modified. Ride it and see for yourself whether it's worth going through with the mod.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #165
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I also use a "brake snake" similar to this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/24373111@N08/2770001380/ that runs down through the shifter's pivot (the hammerhead pivot pin has a hole running vertically through it) and then forward to the skidplate to help keep it from getting bent.[/QUOTE]

Was your brake snake a DIY project, or did you purchase it somewhere?