Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #226
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Yes sir, KTM1 fits the 690 , mine is a +15mm with the narrow, knurled tip:
As R-Dubb said the gear shifts are on back order.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #227
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,796
Question Wierd starting issue.

Starting procedure for 690 is to leave throttle closed.

Recently, my motor chugs a bit when I push the button after the ignition boots. Hot or cold, it does the same. It used to fire up instantly with lots of vigor. Not any more. In fact, it now requires me to crack the thottle open slightly. It cranks about eight rotations and then reluctantly fires up.

Throttle cables have a few millimeters of free play both directions. TPS voltages are spot on. Air filter clean. Fuel pump seems fine. It cycles a second or two to bring up pressure and stops. Did the throttle calibration and 15 minute reset. Did not change a thing.

Runs fine other than this issue. The odd part is that I need to crack the thottle. It will not start when throttle is closed.

Any ideas?

----------------------

Maybe a fouled plug. I think I'll check that next.

R-dubb screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 10:58 AM
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #228
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Thumb Replacement Fuel Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
I ordered one of those beauties today. Planning to carry it as a spare on longer trips Sure beats paying KTM $350 for their POS.

BTW, I don't think my issue posted above has anything to do with the fuel pump.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #229
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
I ordered one of those beauties today. Planning to carry it as a spare on longer trips Sure beats paying KTM $350 for their POS.

BTW, I don't think my issue posted above has anything to do with the fuel pump.
Have you cleaned the injector?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #230
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Have you cleaned the injector?
That seems to be soup de jour

I'll give it a go!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #231
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
That seems to be soup de jour

I'll give it a go!
It's a real simple process. Be careful of the O-ring when putting it back together. I've got a bunch of them if you aren't. A little silicone lube helps.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #232
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Corbin uses their own seat pan that is much stronger than stock.
Thanks!

I guess I have to order one of those.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #233
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Starting procedure for 690 is to leave throttle closed.

Recently, my motor chugs a bit when I push the button after the ignition boots. Hot or cold, it does the same. It used to fire up instantly with lots of vigor. Not any more. In fact, it now requires me to crack the thottle open slightly. It cranks about eight rotations and then reluctantly fires up.

Throttle cables have a few millimeters of free play both directions. TPS voltages are spot on. Air filter clean. Fuel pump seems fine. It cycles a second or two to bring up pressure and stops. Did the throttle calibration and 15 minute reset. Did not change a thing.

Runs fine other than this issue. The odd part is that I need to crack the thottle. It will not start when throttle is closed.

Any ideas?

----------------------

Maybe a fouled plug. I think I'll check that next.
sounds like one of the symptoms of tight valves. check them lately?
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #234
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by olec View Post
Thanks!

I guess I have to order one of those.
Check with some of the other aftermarket seat manufacturers as well. They may make their own pans as well. I mentioned Corbin because I owned one and it was much sturdier.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #235
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
sounds like one of the symptoms of tight valves. check them lately?
I pulled the injector. It was clean as a whistle and flowed freely in the reverse direction when boosted with air. O-rings tight.

Spark plug looked better than I thought it would (brown, not sooty or oiled). Cap and high tension wire showed signs of separation.

Out of time now, but I'm going back in soon to check the valves while the hood is open.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #236
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Check with some of the other aftermarket seat manufacturers as well. They may make their own pans as well. I mentioned Corbin because I owned one and it was much sturdier.
Do you happen to know where I should look? I know about Renazco, then we have Corbin. Add the powerparts ergo seat to the stable, and then I cannot find anything else. The ergo powerpart seat uses the same seat pan (told by dealer, so that's not an option). I am looking for something really firm / hard that can take a beating (including very firm foam). On my wishlist I also want at least an inch or rather two higher. (Yes I am tall).
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #237
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Fuel Pump

Just because this is one of the current discussion topics.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=89

As a follow up, I've now put about 1400 miles on the bike without any issues. The CA Cycleworks pump is running strong. As Crank mentioned, I too put a bunch of holes in the fuel pump holder to allow for better cooling/fuel pickup.

I did notice something a little different though on my ride last weekend. Maybe it was just the conditions but, I was running flat out in 6th with a little bit of a head wind and a little bit of an incline (maybe 1%) and I couldn't do more than 93 mph GPS speed with 15/48 gearing.

I know that I have gotten up to 110 with the same gearing at the same elevation (different wind & incline at that time though.)

I mention this because based on my research (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641042) the CA Cycleworks pump is a little lower on pressure than the OEM pump. I asked about this prior to installing and was told if it did affect the 690 it would be at the very peak of its operating limits (see email response in attached thread http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=58).

So, I am wondering if there is just a very slight difference which would only be realized by those who are trying to get every last bit out of the motor in conditions most typically experienced during racing/pushing really hard.

Uller screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 03:53 PM
Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #238
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Just because is is one of the current discussion topics.....

I know that I have gotten up to 110 with the same gearing at the same elevation (different wind & incline at that time though.)

I mention this because based on my research (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641042) the CA Cycleworks pump is a little lower on pressure than the OEM pump. I asked about this prior to installing and was told if it did affect the 690 it would be and the very peak of its operating limits (see email response in attached thread).

So, I am wondering if there is just a very slight difference which would only be realized by those who are trying to get every last bit out of the motor in conditions most typically experienced during racing/pushing really hard.
Interesting. Seems that what we're really comparing is the ability of the pump to supply the required volume of fuel, continuously, at a pressure high enough to trip the regulator. If this understanding is correct, then we should not experience diminished flow until the ceiling is reached.

94 uphill, into a headwind is fast enough for me.

Perhaps the downside is that fuel starvation at top speed could potentially cause overheating and a holed piston. Yuck.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #239
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Interesting. Seems that what we're really comparing is the ability of the pump to supply the required volume of fuel, continuously, at a pressure high enough to trip the regulator. If this understanding is correct, then we should not experience diminished flow until the ceiling is reached.

94 uphill, into a headwind is fast enough for me.

Perhaps the downside is that fuel starvation at top speed could potentially cause overheating and a holed piston. Yuck.
That is my understanding and why I mentioned it. I really only got this pump and put it in because no one else had done so and I was concerned with the stock unit going out and having to walk for miles like RickyP. I also didn't want to pay KTM the rediculous amount for their pump which fails prematurely.

It is very few and far between I find open stretches long enough to hold it wide open riding up in the mountains. So, I'm not too concerned about a small reduction in power at the most absolute limit of the motor because I'm hardley ever there and as a result am completely happy with this pump. My butt dyno tells me everwhere else besides the top it pulls just as strong (possibly stronger because I changed some of the programming to Beaney's suggestions)

However, thought I would mention it because it sounds like Crank is going to be racing and he might be able to provide some insight on this come next Monday after his race. Like I mentioned, it could have just been too much wind coupled with too much of an incline. Plus, I was standing up .
Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #240
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
One of the stages has a really long gravel straight that is perfect for this test. The year before last, I was trucking down this stage and took a quick glance at the speedo and saw 118 MPH on my SE and I was still pulling, so it's anyones guess what my top speed was. I think it's likely that I hit 125, so plenty of room to see what the 690 can do. I'm hoping to get my work done and actually do the event.

With the Vortex, some 106 Octane race gas and the stupid setting on the ECU, I'll be hauling