Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #241
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
sounds like one of the symptoms of tight valves. check them lately?
Now I know when its time to check the valves

Not a big deal. Exhaust was within spec, tight-ish, but not enough to move down a step. Intakes were just barely tighter than spec, so I bumped the shims down a size.

Starts just like she should. One tap and she jumps.
Very sensitive, but cute
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #242
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by olec View Post
I cracked my seatbase after some hammering on the nasty MX track yesterday. Is there any stronger seats out there on the market? It cracked from side to side where the base hits the positive battery-teminal and its metalprotector whatever. THis is most likely going to happen again on a new seat, so maybe there is a trick I can do to prevent it?
The OEM 690 pans are a plastic/fiber composite material, very brittle like.
We get cracked pans all the time, repair work consist of fiberglass work.

A polypropylene seat base would be best but I don't know of anybody making one.

If it's cracking at the terminals I would drill a couple of 1 inch holes at the contact points to give the pan a relief point, hole saw works best.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #243
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
Now I know when its time to check the valves

Not a big deal. Exhaust was within spec, tight-ish, but not enough to move down a step. Intakes were just barely tighter than spec, so I bumped the shims down a size.

Starts just like she should. One tap and she jumps.
Very sensitive, but cute
2001 - 2004 husabergs were very tempermental to start and the valve adjust was the main issue.
glad it worked out

btw how many miles?
i forgot to thank you for the tracks .....rode them in july had a blast
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #244
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
2001 - 2004 husabergs were very tempermental to start and the valve adjust was the main issue.
glad it worked out

btw how many miles?
i forgot to thank you for the tracks .....rode them in july had a blast
Thanks for the tip on checking valves.

We're darn lucky to have Mendocino near by. I love riding up there. Glad you had a good trip. I'm heading out in a week for a nine day spin around Eastern Oregon. Trying to get the ride in shape. Only 7600 miles so far. Still a baby.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #245
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renazco View Post
The OEM 690 pans are a plastic/fiber composite material, very brittle like.
We get cracked pans all the time, repair work consist of fiberglass work.

A polypropylene seat base would be best but I don't know of anybody making one.

If it's cracking at the terminals I would drill a couple of 1 inch holes at the contact points to give the pan a relief point, hole saw works best.
I noticed it was kind of strange / new material making it very brittle, as I was trying to do some heating to check how this 'plastic' reacted. It only vaporized (sort of).
I can see the main problem now. It broke in the area above the battery terminals. But the problem is not any touching from underside, but rather those big rubberdampers the seat rides on. Its lot of space between the seatpan and the frame / battery etc, and when the pan is not flexing enough (or is stiff enough), it'll just crack. If the the pan had followed the underlying stuff better and not riding on the rubberthings, it had held up better.
Bad design.....
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #246
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,280
Somebody just shoot me before I have to deal with that mess behind the headlight again!

It seems like I am always dicking with something in that birds nest and then trying/having to jam the mask back into it. That is going to have to change this winter. I'm not sure what to do, but I can't believe the cobbled up mess in there!
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #247
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Somebody just shoot me before I have to deal with that mess behind the headlight again!

It seems like I am always dicking with something in that birds nest and then trying/having to jam the mask back into it. That is going to have to change this winter. I'm not sure what to do, but I can't believe the cobbled up mess in there!
Try compounding that mess with the wiring for an ICO, a roadbook, roadbook switch, and ICO switch. I'll have some pics of the rally setup tonight or tomorrow

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #248
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Try compounding that mess with the wiring for an ICO, a roadbook, roadbook switch, and ICO switch. I'll have some pics of the rally setup tonight or tomorrow
Aaaaccckkkkk!! No thanks! Had enough wiring issues with this damn bike without adding to it,
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #249
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

Stock "R" headlight is for shit. Doesn't make any light. Has a BS socket with connectors that basically fall off. And then to cap things off it rubs all of the other wires raw. I switched to the "E" style mask from '09 and am very pleased. Had to make a bracket, but other that that it has been really great.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #250
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
I had a look at the parts catalog for the 450 rally to find out that it has a rear tank very similar to our 690...

The 450 rally is carburated, and the tank has a simple plate with a petcock for the fuel line where our bike has the plate supporting the pump.

On the other hand the new excs are fuel injected, and i read somewhere that they have an external fuel pump... Sadly I have not yet found any source for the parts fiches of the 2012 m.y. excs, but I bet that if they REALLY have an external fuel pump the combination of this and the 450 rally tank plate coud solve many of the fueling problems of the 690... Maybe...
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e

Maurizio screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 09:23 AM
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #251
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Aaaaccckkkkk!! No thanks! Had enough wiring issues with this damn bike without adding to it,
Thankfully with the RR fairing kit fitted, I have managed to clean it up some. Still got the shitty connectors to deal with, but will live with them for now. Have yet to fit the ICO and GPS repeater, but so far have wiring for headlight, roadbook reader, gps, 2x powerlet sockets, 3x power switches, aux fusebox. Plenty of spiral wrap, cable ties, and anti-friction tape to keep it all where it belongs.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #252
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
andykeck
my experience is that after being inside the fuel line ,especially down stream of the filter you will have contamination in the injector. i have never been able to tell by looking at the spray if it was clogged but after cleaning it worked again. the new injector number includes a screen that goes infront of the injector in the holder. this would solve most of the injector problems i would think.
search u tube for how to to clean the injector
Well, it wasn't the injector. It looked fine, but I back flushed it with the 5v power supply I have around for that very purpose. And I replaced the quick-disconnect with the inline filter mentioned earlier. Still has the terrible throttle response and a high idle now too.

So I'm gonna look for a vacuum leak, although there's no popping on decel like I might expect. I'm also gonna look at all my grounds in case the ECU is just getting confused. The big ground point in front of the tank pivot is a little suspect looking. Beyond that, all that's left to look at is the regulator (which I believe to be fine) and the throttle body and motor which I don't know how to test beyond looking at the voltages.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #253
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 723
I have a problem with removing the rear handles that bolt through the guard into the tank. I am wanting to fit my pannier rails, but on one of the bolts, the nut that I presume is embeded in the plastic of the tank, is turning, and therefore not coming undone. I expect I will have to remove the tank to get at it, but how do I do that if I can't get the guard off?

Anybody have some advice on how I can resolve this and re-fix the nut (when I get it apart)?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #254
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
On the other hand the new excs are fuel injected, and i read somewhere that they have an external fuel pump... if they REALLY have an external fuel pump
They don't have an external fuel pump...
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e

Maurizio screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 07:36 AM
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #255
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,108
Question

Lets lay down a problem that i dont seem to be able to fix right now.

Ive bought my '08 690 enduro a week or so ago, knowing that it was not at it's best and been trying to get it healthy again.

The symptoms:
Bike wont make a 100 mp/h, 98 is it.

Wont wheely like it should, barely lift's the front in second, none in third, at 15/45 gearing. There's just no throtle response.

Takes a long time to hit the rev limiter in 4'th gear, starting from 7000something rpm, it's like 5 or 10 seconds, has trouble getting above 8000 rpm.

Bike just feels less agressive than my 640 with CV carb, if i want smooth, i'd get a beamer :)

What i've done so far:
Cleaned the trothle body and fuel line
New fuel filter, old one was really dirty!
new fuel screen, the old one was NOT attached to the pump...
took out the injector and washed it with brake cleaner (no power applied)
No fi error's
adjusted the valves and full service.

Mapping:
Akra map and custom map tried, no real diffrence.

After going for a ride with DR Bean his bike, i know there is a LOT, and I mean a LOOOOOOT more agressiveness and power possible with the bike, I want that!!! :)

Oh thank you, guru's, for bringing back the powerrrrrr!
any idea apreciated!