ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #3046
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MORT666's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: U.K
Oddometer: 214
Thanks for reply,can you get more power from the enduro as its total standard . with out to much hassle.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #3047
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MORT666's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: U.K
Oddometer: 214
Question

Sorry guys forgot how many miles before engine re-build, and how's about that seat for long runs
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #3048
Maurizio
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORT666 View Post
can you get more power from the enduro as its total standard . with out to much hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORT666 View Post
Sorry guys forgot how many miles before engine re-build, and how's about that seat for long runs
Keep the Ducati...
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e

Maurizio screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 06:14 AM
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #3049
tonykof
Dinosaur Tamer
 
tonykof's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Northern MN (Lake of the Woods - Longpoint)
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Toss that one, buy a Powerlet socket and mount as in the thread here. Better solution overall and less water ingress. Just checked the price again, best send it back instead of tossing it. Ouch
Crap...yeah that is a much more compact setup...I already opened the package...upon closer observations I think I could wedge it between the headlight/number plate & the fork/cables on the left side & it would probably work...Or...I could just save it for something else...
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #3050
tonykof
Dinosaur Tamer
 
tonykof's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Northern MN (Lake of the Woods - Longpoint)
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Toss that one, buy a Powerlet socket and mount as in the thread here. Better solution overall and less water ingress. Just checked the price again, best send it back instead of tossing it. Ouch
yeah that is a much more compact setup...I already opened the package...upon closer observations I think I could wedge it between the headlight/number plate & the fork/cables on the left side & it would probably work...Or...I could just save it for something else...

on the other hand doesn't the low profile powerlet have a smaller "socket" which would mean I would have to adapt my "normal" stuff to it?
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #3051
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there
 
thorinoakenshield's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ☼
Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykof View Post
on the other hand doesn't the low profile powerlet have a smaller "socket" which would mean I would have to adapt my "normal" stuff to it?
yes. if you google for something like "bmw power adapter" you'll find a bunch of stuff.

personally, i have the gps on my switch power from behind the headlight.

i have an sae lead coming from the battery. the sae lead will allow me to put the bike on a tender, charge electronics under my seat (there's room for a camera or iphone in a small drybag strapped to the metal battery bracket thingy), or run with heated gear (with a sae to coax adapter).
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #3052
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
Albie, I know you always like to have the last word in these discussions but you are comparing your bike and its problems that all developed after 12,000 miles to the universe of 690's that have been sold. Whats wrong with this is that you may have gotten a bad bike, you may have abused it, etc, only you know. If I had gotten a bad bike and had serious issues that could not be corrected I would have sold it long ago and moved on.

I venture to say that there are 690's from every year that will run just fine for many miles, not just up to 12,000 and then self-destruct. To assume that just because your bike developed problems after 12,000 miles and to discredit others, whose bikes are running just fine with whatever their mileage, is a flawed argument.

Personally, I like to hear from people who are not having problems and, as Seth (I believe) said recently, those who are not having problems are not posting here very much as they are out riding. I may be an exception as the weather got hot and I am taking a breather.

Cheers,

Tom
As my bike continuously broke down while traveling all around the US, Canada and Mexico I had an interesting and probably more accurate perscpective than the average shoot from the hip venture.
I can't really discuss my bike, but dealership after dealership would tell me the total number of 690's they sold versus how many came in with serious or multiple problems. The percentages were horrific!

I certainly hope they have their crap together now and for all y'all on this site I'm hoping for the best for your bikes. Of course following the megathread (which probably wasn't lost but removed because of legal pressure by KTM).
Seth's bike, Sherrie Joe's bike and Dan's bike are exceptions.

The reason I feel it's important to point the reality of the 690 is because it is such a fun bike when it is running and it would be amazing to have a bike this light, powerful AND DEPENDABLE. It's not dependable. Sweeping reality under the rug, calling guys who share their breakdown stories whiners does not help/hold KTM accountable to fix/correct the problem; rather it shows them they can get away with poor quality control.
KTM needs to know that customers value reliability, will pay for reliability but at the same time excpect them to quickly fix any deviances from that.

Actually guys have serious problems aren't allowed to talk about them; you do not hear many of the horror stories that could actually be beneficial in knowing what to keep an eye on/watch out for etc.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #3053
AMa.
Topographer
 
AMa.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
All this talk about maps and leaving things are from the factory reminded me of looking at the maps in TuneECU and what I saw.
I looked at my 690R 2012 standard maps. My dealer told me that I have a "break-in map installed and it will be replaced by a real deal at 1k service. I doubt that, because the map is identical to TuneECU webpage 690R 2012 map. (which can be break-in map also, but..) Maybe my dealer just called std map a "break-in map" and is planning to install "akramap" at 1k.

I compared my Soft, Standard and Performence maps and they are identical in

- F (fuel, injector duty cycle or opening time @ absolute throttle value?)
- L (added injector opening time @ manifold absolute pressure?)
- I (ignition in advance, degrees before top dead center?)

(If someone knows better what those EFI map values represent, please correct me, I'm just guessing what they could be.)

Only ignition map is different in I LOF (ignition, low octane fuel, maybe?) which makes sense.

EPT maps are different:


What is selectable "SAI" in "Devices" ?
__________________

KTM 690 R 2012
AMa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #3054
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
yes. if you google for something like "bmw power adapter" you'll find a bunch of stuff.

personally, i have the gps on my switch power from behind the headlight.

i have an sae lead coming from the battery. the sae lead will allow me to put the bike on a tender, charge electronics under my seat (there's room for a camera or iphone in a small drybag strapped to the metal battery bracket thingy), or run with heated gear (with a sae to coax adapter).
I have my Heated grips, GPS, and Baja designs 20w LED running off the switched 10A lead, and I'm running the heated jacket off the non switched. Right now I can't run the grips and jacket at the same time until I free up the watts that the headlight uses. Including your headlight, you have about 150 W to play with. (95 with your headlight on).
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #3055
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,809
Ordered a new shorai battery today and I ordered a cycleworks pump. Looked at the cost of a new KTM radiator and at the cost of the 690RR radiator and decided to just keep running my repaired but tweaked radiator. A new stock unit is about $440 from Munnracing vs 700 some odd euros for a RR unit if even available. I need to fab a new bracket for my coil mount as my rally raid one broke...either during my crash or sometime during the Australia event. I pulled the bike out of the crate on saturday and started looking over the front section of the harness. Also did a bit more external pump research and found a number of pumps...I have several bosch pumps but they are beasts. I found a walboro unit that might work but it draws a lot of amperage...6 or 7 amps...which is about 100 watts of power. The suzuki unit is still a possibility but I have been looking for more compact alternatives.

I need to shoot the Vortex guy an email and discuss using the vortex to build a new injection system which should be more than doable. It would allow me to dump the existing throttle body and simplify the harness. The vortex is pretty much a standalone unit that gets program for the sensor ranges and inputs. I would use the 690 sensors with a new TB...maybe one off a berg small car with a TPS. I have the wire at home now to start building a new harness.

First I have to prep the bike for the roaming rally and for the paris to dacre ride. Beyond that it can come apart.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #3056
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
As my bike continuously broke down while traveling all around the US, Canada and Mexico I had an interesting and probably more accurate perscpective than the average shoot from the hip venture.
I can't really discuss my bike, but dealership after dealership would tell me the total number of 690's they sold versus how many came in with serious or multiple problems. The percentages were horrific!

I certainly hope they have their crap together now and for all y'all on this site I'm hoping for the best for your bikes. Of course following the megathread (which probably wasn't lost but removed because of legal pressure by KTM).
Seth's bike, Sherrie Joe's bike and Dan's bike are exceptions.

The reason I feel it's important to point the reality of the 690 is because it is such a fun bike when it is running and it would be amazing to have a bike this light, powerful AND DEPENDABLE. It's not dependable. Sweeping reality under the rug, calling guys who share their breakdown stories whiners does not help/hold KTM accountable to fix/correct the problem; rather it shows them they can get away with poor quality control.
KTM needs to know that customers value reliability, will pay for reliability but at the same time excpect them to quickly fix any deviances from that.

Actually guys have serious problems aren't allowed to talk about them; you do not hear many of the horror stories that could actually be beneficial in knowing what to keep an eye on/watch out for etc.
I have just over 10,000 km on my 2010 690. Over then next 2 years I plan on adding another 100k kms or so. End of June I will be in MN with 20k kms at my brothers shop. I plan on talking the bike down to the frame and documenting all wear. Stay tuned as I will do a complete write up and be completely honest about the bike and the aftermarket parts I have installed. (RR tanks and fairing included).
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #3057
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there
 
thorinoakenshield's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ☼
Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I have my Heated grips, GPS, and Baja designs 20w LED running off the switched 10A lead, and I'm running the heated jacket off the non switched. Right now I can't run the grips and jacket at the same time until I free up the watts that the headlight uses. Including your headlight, you have about 150 W to play with. (95 with your headlight on).
Good info.
I was going to just run with the heated jacket. I want to go with hippo hands, that should be good for the low temps I ride in. It should help with the rain, too.
I have the Gerbing microwire gloves, but they are very bulky, more for commuting or touring. They're not waterproof as well. They are warm, though.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #3058
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,809
I think for the most part the 690 is a good mechanical design. The big problem is they put all the emission stuff on it. In order to meet all the emission demands they had to detune the mapping, use the fancy throttle setup, run the cat etc. Unfortunately the bikes run like crap because of this.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #3059
nippybit
Nippybit
 
nippybit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Oddometer: 92
690 Dependability

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
As my bike continuously broke down while traveling all around the US, Canada and Mexico I had an interesting and probably more accurate perscpective than the average shoot from the hip venture.
I can't really discuss my bike, but dealership after dealership would tell me the total number of 690's they sold versus how many came in with serious or multiple problems. The percentages were horrific!

I certainly hope they have their crap together now and for all y'all on this site I'm hoping for the best for your bikes. Of course following the megathread (which probably wasn't lost but removed because of legal pressure by KTM).
Seth's bike, Sherrie Joe's bike and Dan's bike are exceptions.

The reason I feel it's important to point the reality of the 690 is because it is such a fun bike when it is running and it would be amazing to have a bike this light, powerful AND DEPENDABLE. It's not dependable. Sweeping reality under the rug, calling guys who share their breakdown stories whiners does not help/hold KTM accountable to fix/correct the problem; rather it shows them they can get away with poor quality control.
KTM needs to know that customers value reliability, will pay for reliability but at the same time excpect them to quickly fix any deviances from that.

Actually guys have serious problems aren't allowed to talk about them; you do not hear many of the horror stories that could actually be beneficial in knowing what to keep an eye on/watch out for etc.
Ricky, let me again say that I feel for you and your travails with the 690, however, I am unconvinced that 690's have a really high defect rate and are undependable. Everyone here knows somebody who had a "lemon" of a car and if you ask them about it they will predictably tell you that their model is no good, everyone with that model will have significant problems, and you should not buy one. That is human nature. On this site newbies routinely come to read about the 690 and some are literally scared away from it by various horror stories. I guess for some this is a way to punish KTM.

When you rely on anecdotal evidence to support your claim of unreliability you lose me and perhaps others. Lets see some reliable and valid evidence from someone who is not a disgruntled/unhappy owner. BTW I have not called people here "whiners", I will leave that to others if they choose to do so.

I remain mystified why someone with a troubled bike would continue to tolerate it and document same here. If you cannot get the bike fixed by the dealer and it is a lemon get rid of it and move on. Life is too short to make yourself continually upset about it. Another option is to try to hire an attorney, on a contingency basis, to go about gathering the statistics that you say dealers have to prove manufacturing defects, then begin assembling a class of owners with unresolved problems and sue KTM USA. A class action lawsuit. Dealers would likely not voluntarily release such data but would have to if subpoened, i.e., in the discovery phase of the litigation.

Finally, after posting here for over two years, I notice that some of the same people are still on the site talking about their issues. I hope that they get them resolved. I watched the site as a lurker beginning in 2007 in anticipation of the 08' 690 being released. I then followed some very good suggestions from Seth and others (printing the various "fix" pages) that showed how to resolve known issues. If you look at my long post several pages back I addressed all known issues before taking my first ride. Had I not done this I might have had some of the very same problems that are routinely documented here. I also waited two years and bought a 2010' as I did not want to be an early adopter/beta tester. The result, so far no issues. I ride predominantly off road and do not baby my bike but I do take good care of it.

As they say in the Middle East, Inshallah, I will not have any major issues and Inshallah others will resolve theirs

Cheers,

Tom
__________________
2010 KTM 690 R (sold 12/11/12)
Previous bikes (way too many to list here and what's the point)
Been riding mostly off-road since 1960--began at age 14.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3060
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
I then followed some very good suggestions from Seth and others (printing the various "fix" pages) that showed how to resolve known issues. If you look at my long post several pages back I addressed all known issues before taking my first ride.
And lucky for you because these issues are posted, you were made aware and have been able to avoid those same issues.

You're welcome.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015