Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #3046
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,248
Oh, and FWIW, my V Strom has 46K miles on it and I've never even replaced a bulb on it, much less a speedo.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #3047
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
That's all well and good, but most of my problems developed AFTER 12K miles.
Same for most of those who have problems ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
After seeing the crap (anomalous values) that was installed on my bike as-delivered I wouldn't worry to much about whether you're second-guessing engineers. Someone dropped the ball on quality control at least as far as my bike's concerned. Usual disclaimers apply. Verify it for yourself if you want.
I wish you elaborate more on that ... Where do you see "crap" on those charts and why. I understand it's in percentage of the OEM value ...

Paul Jr
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #3048
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Always The Last Word?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
That's all well and good, but most of my problems developed AFTER 12K miles.
Albie, I know you always like to have the last word in these discussions but you are comparing your bike and its problems that all developed after 12,000 miles to the universe of 690's that have been sold. Whats wrong with this is that you may have gotten a bad bike, you may have abused it, etc, only you know. If I had gotten a bad bike and had serious issues that could not be corrected I would have sold it long ago and moved on.

I venture to say that there are 690's from every year that will run just fine for many miles, not just up to 12,000 and then self-destruct. To assume that just because your bike developed problems after 12,000 miles and to discredit others, whose bikes are running just fine with whatever their mileage, is a flawed argument.

Personally, I like to hear from people who are not having problems and, as Seth (I believe) said recently, those who are not having problems are not posting here very much as they are out riding. I may be an exception as the weather got hot and I am taking a breather.

Cheers,

Tom
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #3049
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Not sure as to what qualifies as a bad bike, but I figure Ricky's would definitely qualify in that department. He had like 3 motors put into his. There are plenty of others that have had a lot worse problems then I have. I mean at least mine never caught on fire

My problems while somewhat a PITA, have never been anything serious enough to make me throw in the towel. Only once did the bike ever leave me stranded (fuel pump died). I have had as many as 9 bikes in my stable at one time, so having a bike down for a little bit isn't that big of a deal to me. Many of the problems that have come up though are ones that are directly related to the amount of miles. For instance, the first radiator failure, that takes a while of rubbing for the plastic shroud to eat into the aluminum and eventually wear a hole in it. The header vibrating and flexing took a while before it finally failed. Something you're not going the experience on a low mileage, lightly ridden bike. My so called argument really isn't all that flawed as I see it. but then again I'm not arguing, just stating what I've experienced with MY bike.

Some of the problems I've just come to ignore, like the cold starting issue. Others I've just been putting off fixing, like the THIRD leaking radiator.

And at what point does hard riding become abuse? I do know that I ride my other bikes just as hard and none of them have had the amount of problems my 690 has in the same mileage. Let's just say I don't have any low mileage garage queens.

But the fact is, this bike is also probably the funniest bike I've ever owned. I always have a big shit eating grin when I get off it. And lest face it, at the end of the day, that's what matters the most. But I just don't swallow the Kool-Aid and pretend it's all that!

Oh, BTW, I rode about 1200 miles last week and still found time to post here.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #3050
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Question 690 smc or enduro

Hi there had several KTM'S over the years.I have a DUCATI HYPERMOTARD at the moment.Think of changing to a 690 smc or enduro, help and advice please.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 AM   #3051
shan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
Sounds like it could be a doggy roll over switch. When these activate they kill the ignition, the bike will crank but will not start until the ignition is switched off and back on as you described. I have seen a couple of these go bad due to water getting in. The switch is located underneath the throttle body.

For every body's info our 690 based race bikes are still using the FI system but we have removed all the saftey interlock circuit ( rollover, clutch, stand switch). SAS removed, lambda sensor removed.
Thanks for the reply
I was told by the guy that owned the bike(motorcycle shop owner) and had bought it new direct from Mecasystem that they had removed the roll over switch as it known give a few people problems as well as the SAS and the stand switch ,Lambda sensor .
And the FI light flashes to show that there is a problem with the R O S .
shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #3052
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORT666 View Post
Hi there had several KTM'S over the years.I have a DUCATI HYPERMOTARD at the moment.Think of changing to a 690 smc or enduro, help and advice please.
Oh hell yeah do it. The SMC will run circles around that pig of a bike Hyper. The only place you might miss the Hyper is if your doing long sections of super slab. If you want to do some off road you can find tires that fit the 17"wheels on the SMC. If you want to do a lot of off road and get a second set of wheels, then you're better off getting the Enduro and buying the 17"s.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #3053
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for reply,can you get more power from the enduro as its total standard . with out to much hassle.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #3054
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Sorry guys forgot how many miles before engine re-build, and how's about that seat for long runs
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #3055
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
can you get more power from the enduro as its total standard . with out to much hassle.
Quote:
Sorry guys forgot how many miles before engine re-build, and how's about that seat for long runs
Keep the Ducati...
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e

Maurizio screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 07:14 AM
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #3056
tonykof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Toss that one, buy a Powerlet socket and mount as in the thread here. Better solution overall and less water ingress. Just checked the price again, best send it back instead of tossing it. Ouch
Crap...yeah that is a much more compact setup...I already opened the package...upon closer observations I think I could wedge it between the headlight/number plate & the fork/cables on the left side & it would probably work...Or...I could just save it for something else...
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #3057
tonykof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Toss that one, buy a Powerlet socket and mount as in the thread here. Better solution overall and less water ingress. Just checked the price again, best send it back instead of tossing it. Ouch
yeah that is a much more compact setup...I already opened the package...upon closer observations I think I could wedge it between the headlight/number plate & the fork/cables on the left side & it would probably work...Or...I could just save it for something else...

on the other hand doesn't the low profile powerlet have a smaller "socket" which would mean I would have to adapt my "normal" stuff to it?
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #3058
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykof View Post
on the other hand doesn't the low profile powerlet have a smaller "socket" which would mean I would have to adapt my "normal" stuff to it?
yes. if you google for something like "bmw power adapter" you'll find a bunch of stuff.

personally, i have the gps on my switch power from behind the headlight.

i have an sae lead coming from the battery. the sae lead will allow me to put the bike on a tender, charge electronics under my seat (there's room for a camera or iphone in a small drybag strapped to the metal battery bracket thingy), or run with heated gear (with a sae to coax adapter).
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #3059
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
Albie, I know you always like to have the last word in these discussions but you are comparing your bike and its problems that all developed after 12,000 miles to the universe of 690's that have been sold. Whats wrong with this is that you may have gotten a bad bike, you may have abused it, etc, only you know. If I had gotten a bad bike and had serious issues that could not be corrected I would have sold it long ago and moved on.

I venture to say that there are 690's from every year that will run just fine for many miles, not just up to 12,000 and then self-destruct. To assume that just because your bike developed problems after 12,000 miles and to discredit others, whose bikes are running just fine with whatever their mileage, is a flawed argument.

Personally, I like to hear from people who are not having problems and, as Seth (I believe) said recently, those who are not having problems are not posting here very much as they are out riding. I may be an exception as the weather got hot and I am taking a breather.

Cheers,

Tom
As my bike continuously broke down while traveling all around the US, Canada and Mexico I had an interesting and probably more accurate perscpective than the average shoot from the hip venture.
I can't really discuss my bike, but dealership after dealership would tell me the total number of 690's they sold versus how many came in with serious or multiple problems. The percentages were horrific!

I certainly hope they have their crap together now and for all y'all on this site I'm hoping for the best for your bikes. Of course following the megathread (which probably wasn't lost but removed because of legal pressure by KTM).
Seth's bike, Sherrie Joe's bike and Dan's bike are exceptions.

The reason I feel it's important to point the reality of the 690 is because it is such a fun bike when it is running and it would be amazing to have a bike this light, powerful AND DEPENDABLE. It's not dependable. Sweeping reality under the rug, calling guys who share their breakdown stories whiners does not help/hold KTM accountable to fix/correct the problem; rather it shows them they can get away with poor quality control.
KTM needs to know that customers value reliability, will pay for reliability but at the same time excpect them to quickly fix any deviances from that.

Actually guys have serious problems aren't allowed to talk about them; you do not hear many of the horror stories that could actually be beneficial in knowing what to keep an eye on/watch out for etc.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #3060
AMa.
Topographer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
All this talk about maps and leaving things are from the factory reminded me of looking at the maps in TuneECU and what I saw.
I looked at my 690R 2012 standard maps. My dealer told me that I have a "break-in map installed and it will be replaced by a real deal at 1k service. I doubt that, because the map is identical to TuneECU webpage 690R 2012 map. (which can be break-in map also, but..) Maybe my dealer just called std map a "break-in map" and is planning to install "akramap" at 1k.

I compared my Soft, Standard and Performence maps and they are identical in

- F (fuel, injector duty cycle or opening time @ absolute throttle value?)
- L (added injector opening time @ manifold absolute pressure?)
- I (ignition in advance, degrees before top dead center?)

(If someone knows better what those EFI map values represent, please correct me, I'm just guessing what they could be.)

Only ignition map is different in I LOF (ignition, low octane fuel, maybe?) which makes sense.

EPT maps are different:

What is selectable "SAI" in "Devices" ?

KTM 690 R 2012
AMa. is offline   Reply With Quote