Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
What oil do you guys use?

Sorry...

Hey Gio: Try the Michelin t-63. Nice allround tire.
Just had a look, as was about to get some Michelin Deserts. See that the T-63's are based on the Desert. Not too clear what the difference is for the rear (looks like almost identical tread pattern). Front is very different. Seems the Desert is good for around 6,000kms or so. Mmmmm - decisions
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #32
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Just had a look, as was about to get some Michelin Deserts. See that the T-63's are based on the Desert. Not too clear what the difference is for the rear (looks like almost identical tread pattern). Front is very different. Seems the Desert is good for around 6,000kms or so. Mmmmm - decisions
Get a MotoZ from Crankshaft when his shipment comes in. Great tires.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #33
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
I've got some questions for the Vortex owners here...

I've spent quite a bit of time screwing around with my '08 SMC. You know, trying different maps, playing with the F-L switch in TuneECU, replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the injector, adjusting the throttle sensors, all the standard stuff. The result is that my bike always starts easily, idles well, and pulls cleanly through the rev range with good power. No complaints there.

But whatever I do, I still can't get rid of that on-off lurch at low throttle openings. Drives me crazy during my commute as there's a good section of moderately heavy surface street traffic moving about 25 mph. It's very hard to be smooth. I get a lesser version of the same issue in third and fourth steady-state cruise. I can't get rid of it.

So my question is this: with all the other benefits of the Vortex I read about in the now vanished thread, does it fix _my_ problem? More power, quicker response, all that's great, I just want to be able to ride smoothly in traffic and slow dirt sections.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Add the stalling issues on top, and there you go (I had problems with that). When you order the Vortex, state if you have an open airbox setup or stock. You will get 10 useful maps configured for you airbox setup. I have the closed / stock, and so is my Vortex configured.
If it doesn't take all the jerkyness away, it's definitely day and night difference. I have found two maps I am using for my type of riding and it's the power map 1 and traction map 1. They can be put on a handlebar switch and they're very different. As the power map just feels like an explosion from bottom, the traction map really hesitates and smooths out everything from low to mid. The traction map makes it nice again in traffic. It doesn't go completely away, but good enough. Another factor is that the EPT is totally bypassed, so it makes it pure throttle by wire" and the throttle is superlight compared to how it was.

Anyway, all stalling has gone away also, so I cannot be more happy. It also lifts the front much easier in power map mode. Send an email to Richard at Vortex and discuss which maps will fit your bike setup. He is really kind and service minded.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #34
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Crankshaft: you have (another) PM.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #35
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Ok...well didn't see this thread was started. I started another but I think ill try to use it as a database of the good info that comes from the regular chat thread.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #36
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Crank any luck with replaciing the FP yet?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #37
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Discussion Thread vs. Info Thread

Seth - I like the idea of a discussion thread different from a info thread. With that said, I'll remove my post from yestday and move it here.....

-----------------------------------------------------
Can I state that my bike is now running for longer than 2 seconds yet??????

I've still got to put the rest of the bike together, do the 15 min thing and ride it for a couple of miles but, it is running.

I owe all of the contributors a big thanks, especially Beany because he won the "Guess the Cause" game. My apparent issue was indeed the ground group in the wiring harness next to the battery. I guess it got pulled or something during one of the tank raisings.

I've got the weekend free and a new set of tires to use up.

P.S. : Seth - I like the new start. Thanks for getting it going. I'll dig into my files and see if I have saved anything of use from the megathread.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
stingraysktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new exhaust system for my 690 and went with the Wings unit. I had been concerned about sending money to Slovenia and was glad to find a US distributor by the name of Adventure Rider Warehouse. The price was fair and the costumer service was great. I had thought about getting the Akrapovic but since it was priced around $950 I went the Wings which was only $550.

The install was straight forward and only took about 2hrs, some of that time was spent taking pictures and video to show the temperature and audio differences between the stock pipe and the Wings pipe. Here’s a before and after picture:

Stock Exhaust:

Wings Exhaust:

After the install I ran the 15 minute idle procedure so the EFI would self adjust to the new exhaust. I did not make any changes to the EFI mapping. Afterwards I rode the bike and felt a noticeable throttle response improvement as well as an improved bottom end. I’m still running the stock intake filter so plan to change that next.

Weight
I weighed each exhaust and found the Wings to be approximately half the weight of the stock pipe. The stocker is 10.26lbs vs 4.51lbs for the Wings.

Stock:

Wings:

Sound
The Wings pipe is not much louder than the stock pipe but does have a throatier sound. I’m using the large end cap in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhP3GqIpek8

Temperature
The Wings unit runs much cooler than the stock unit. Here’s a video of a temperature test that I ran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqJc1pFE3jk

Overall I’m very happy with the Wings exhaust as I feel it makes the bike run better but more importantly I like the lower operating temperature. The stock pipe was melting everything that came in contact with it. I’ve read where riders where having a hard time finding a place to buy a Wings unit in the US, I highly recommend the Adventure Riders Warehouse. They provided the product at a fair price with great service.

stingraysktm screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 10:17 AM
stingraysktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #39
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
WTF happened to our mega thread- Chernobyled?

A little advance notice of the disassembly and whereabouts would have been nice- but glad to have found you guys-

weird, my post count is all messed up too- its like that thread never existed?

MR Admin- whats the deal?
Get the suspension back yet? I wanna hear a ride report!
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #40
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I have had the Wings pipe for 3 years. Great pipe. No remap.

yup, post counts reset. this is #1 for me again.

Lumpyboy screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 02:14 PM
Lumpyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #41
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Ok...well didn't see this thread was started. I started another but I think ill try to use it as a database of the good info that comes from the regular chat thread.
Can you post the link to your thread Seth? Good call on the info part.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #42
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Nevermind...found it.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:32 AM   #43
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraysktm View Post
Temperature
The Wings unit runs much cooler than the stock unit. Here’s a video of a temperature test that I ran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqJc1pFE3jk
Stocker temp > 350 degrees.

Another source for Wings - BC CAN. Got mine a couple of years ago - spot on.

http://www.alternatecycle.com/wings.html
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #44
Roadcat
The Lordly Keeper Of

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Took me a while to catch on, but I'm in!
I wondered why I lost about 1000 posts!
And I'm back to complete noob status - the few posts I did have were all on the megathread. Ah well.
Roadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #45
padin1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Wunderfest

i'm in...sometime next week i will get my delivery...bought myself used 2010 model...

from klx150 to ktm 690
padin1 is offline   Reply With Quote