Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #4921
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 862
fuel pump can be changed on the trail only removing the crap flap and pump housing in under 45 minutes

DAMHIK
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #4922
advrider58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Where to get an Air Box Temperature Sensor Connector

Once again (third time!) the wires on the connector have broken.

While I've added shrink wrap and cable ties to be sure the stress on the wire leading into the connector is minimum, I continue to break the wire regularly. It appears to be from vibration fatigue. I really could use a new connector to repair this again. Anyone know of a good source (other than a visit to the 100 mile away KTM dealer)?
advrider58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #4923
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
I have had good experience with this company for Bosch fuel injection plugs.. not sure if they have that one or not... Here is a link.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/index.php/cPath/109

If you look on the left there is a list of various plugs/connectors.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #4924
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrider58 View Post
Once again (third time!) the wires on the connector have broken.

While I've added shrink wrap and cable ties to be sure the stress on the wire leading into the connector is minimum, I continue to break the wire regularly. It appears to be from vibration fatigue. I really could use a new connector to repair this again. Anyone know of a good source (other than a visit to the 100 mile away KTM dealer)?
I spliced in wire to lengthen the cable so it stopped the stress at the plug. After having it break or the sensor screw up 5 times in the first 15K miles haven't had an issue in 11K miles since I did the splice job.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #4925
advrider58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I spliced in wire to lengthen the cable so it stopped the stress at the plug. After having it break or the sensor screw up 5 times in the first 15K miles haven't had an issue in 11K miles since I did the splice job.
Good stuff! The wire on my bike has plenty of slack so is under no "pulling" stress. It hangs straight down from the sensor then over to a cable tie at the frame.

Did you splice in the wire for extra length or as a larger gauge wire to resist a break?

Mine keeps breaking right at the connector, which is making it very difficult to reuse it.
advrider58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #4926
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
Why does everyone start throwing parts (like replacing fuel pumps) as soon as they have any problem. Whatever happened to doing diagnostics, like checking fuel pressure, ohmning the primary coils, source coils... reading fault codes, checking kick stand switches... etc... to determine what the problem actually is, before buying parts??? Seems like anytime someone's 690 has a hiccup they put a new fuel pump in it.
I definitely understand you point. If my pump was priming consistently it would point to something else. When I turn the key on, I heard the pump click but it didn't prime. If I'm in a situation where I can check voltages to the pump it would be a good troubleshooting measure. If those readings are consistent then it merits pointing to the pump. If not, the hunt begins. Hopefully next time I can be prepared to check everything rather than on my way home from work unprepared.

Now that I've had my first issue it is prudent to be more prepared for an issue. Actually, I should have been prepared from the get go but water under the bridge.
690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #4927
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Regarding the fuel pump not priming....

My post wasn't directed solely at you, but at years of posts where the fuel pump is always to blame... I remember when electronic ign. first came out on motorcycles years ago... everyone was replacing CDI boxes whenever there was a problem...

Being prepared... That is why I carry an extra fuel pump with me on long trips.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE

wswartzwel screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 07:30 PM
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #4928
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,244
Quote:
Good stuff! The wire on my bike has plenty of slack so is under no "pulling" stress. It hangs straight down from the sensor then over to a cable tie at the frame.

Did you splice in the wire for extra length or as a larger gauge wire to resist a break?

Mine keeps breaking right at the connector, which is making it very difficult to reuse it.
Longer length, mine had no slack in it and you could see it was always under tension.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #4929
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I have just over 5000 kms on my 2010 690 SMC. The only performance mod was a Wings silencer and an Akra remap which was at around 1500 kms. Everything was working perfectly until I rolled 5k. It's only been ridden on the street with an occasional gravel/dirt road. While I may think I ride it hard sometimes I am most likely not pushing this bike anywhere near it's potential. I've been deployed every summer since I purchased it so it's been in storage more than on the road.

My 690's fuel pump was failing intermittently and then stopped working all together. When replaced, the new pump fired up and the bike started. During the initialization cycle the bike died after only two minutes of idling. It will no longer start. There is a clicking noise from under the air box somewhere. The fuel pump still hums every time now where as the old one would not turn on at all so that is no longer the issue. It seems to have come up with a new problem now.

I've been skimming through this thread to find similar issues. Am I correct in assuming that the next thing to check would be the Regulator/Rectifier? Or is there something more simple that I could check next?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #4930
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig View Post
I have just over 5000 kms on my 2010 690 SMC. The only performance mod was a Wings silencer and an Akra remap which was at around 1500 kms. Everything was working perfectly until I rolled 5k. It's only been ridden on the street with an occasional gravel/dirt road. While I may think I ride it hard sometimes I am most likely not pushing this bike anywhere near it's potential. I've been deployed every summer since I purchased it so it's been in storage more than on the road.

My 690's fuel pump was failing intermittently and then stopped working all together. When replaced, the new pump fired up and the bike started. During the initialization cycle the bike died after only two minutes of idling. It will no longer start. There is a clicking noise from under the air box somewhere. The fuel pump still hums every time now where as the old one would not turn on at all so that is no longer the issue. It seems to have come up with a new problem now.

I've been skimming through this thread to find similar issues. Am I correct in assuming that the next thing to check would be the Regulator/Rectifier? Or is there something more simple that I could check next?

No, check the main relay ...right next to the battery. The rectifier wont cause the bike not to start

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #4931
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig View Post

Not the R/R. That should probably be the last place for you to look.

You need the Big three. Air, Fuel & Spark

Check that you are first getting fuel at the fuel injector. Your hose might have come off inside the tank or something simple like that.

If you are getting fuel.

Next, see if you are getting a spark by pulling the spark plug and turning it over.

If both of those are good it becomes harder.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #4932
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I will start with those. Thanks guys.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #4933
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:

I disassembled the plug and used heavier and longer wire, re-crimping and soldering and then sealed the plug and wires with shrink wrap. No problem since.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #4934
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
Why does everyone start throwing parts (like replacing fuel pumps) as soon as they have any problem. Whatever happened to doing diagnostics, like checking fuel pressure, ohmning the primary coils, source coils... reading fault codes, checking kick stand switches... etc... to determine what the problem actually is, before buying parts??? Seems like anytime someone's 690 has a hiccup they put a new fuel pump in it.
No codes, kick stand eliminator. When the pump doesn't prime, there is no fuel pressure. When it primes it starts and runs great. It has never failed to prime after waiting a variable length of time. My problem is so intermittent (sometimes nearly a thousand miles between occurrences) that I have not yet changed the fuel pump. The only part I've replaced was the filter which was quite dirty. A frustrating problem. Mine has always run like gangbusters just before and after. It has occurred in 100+ and high 30's temperatures.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #4935
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Headbutted a tree yesterday.. tree won . Parts is parts.