Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #4921
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Can someone recommend a rear shock collar spanner wrench for the 2008 690E? I bought an Enduro Engineering one (for sale in Flea Market for $25) that turned out to be only for the single collar shocks. I'm told I need a hinged one to work on the 690's shock. Any recommendations?
Doesn't matter if it's hinged or not. I have both types and still need to use them in combo with a brass drift. Not enough clearance.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #4922
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Oil changes

I'm about to embark on a 2,300 mile dirt road and atv trail ride. I was wondering what the group think is here, if I should definitely plan to change my oil once on this trip? Or, can I go the full distance without doing damage to my bike?

Thoughts?
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #4923
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Trials Tires vs Knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
I have the MY 43 on my 400XCW. I Love it! It has a higher sidewall so you can run low tires pressures (10psi) with less risk of pinch flats. Traction is great especially on rocks, sandstone and hardpack. One bad trait is that since it doesn't have any side tread, it will follow ruts and not climb out. The wear is awesome on my 400. The higher hp of the 690 may be a different story all together. Once my crappy stock MT21 finish chunking and throwing knows, I will put the MT43 on the 690.
Bigbugberg,

Thanks for your feedback. Seems the other inmates here are preoccupied with a myriad of other issues. Fortunately, I got a number of replies to this subject on M2W, which support the pros and cons you mentioned. Climbing out of ruts is important in the riding I do. I routinely explore old abandoned gold mines, silver mines, and marble quarries. The roads leading to them are often 100+ year old dual-track, not maintained, and heavily rutted with uphill sections resembling creekbeds. It is helpful to be able to climb out of a rut if you see a partial washout, nasty rocks ahead, etc. I think I will stay put with knobbies, however I may move to a different Pirelli.

Cheers,

Tom
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4924
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Maybe you would like to see the last photos of my seat pan here ...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809271

I cannot beleive how crappy that seat pan is. It just does not stand stappling.

That brings me to this conclusion : DO NOT HAVE YOUR SEAT REFOAMED. Seat concept or any other one. You will only aggravate a very bad product.

Paul Jr 8
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #4925
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,210
Radiator Questions

I have split my radiator over the weekend. I can't tell where its bent/tweaked, or if it is bent/tweaked.
Now I know the radiator is curved from side to side.
Does one side of the radiator sit higher than the other (not symmetrical)?
Hard to straighten a non symmetrical radiator.

So I either fix a bent radiator or purchase a new replacement (not cheap I would guess).
Opinions?

Also, has anyone installed the Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards? (universal)
No clearance for the clutch lever and poor fitment on the tapered fat bar section, to me causing a stress riser.
Universal means it fits nothing...

Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #4926
asheville thumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I'm using the Acerbis Rally Pro with the universal fit clamps with no problems. Your picture shows the included sleeve/spacer being used. Have you tried installing the clamp without the additional sleeve? I didn't use it with mine. I also have enough room for the levers on both sides. I don't think I even had to move them inward for additional room. Here's a few pics.

2010 Triumph Bonneville SE

asheville thumper screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 06:49 AM
asheville thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #4927
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
I cannot say whether or not you have a broken radiator but I CAN say that a few weeks ago when I took mine out to repair a tiny leak, I noticed that mine seemed "tweaked" and asymmetrical as well. I ended up finding pictures of a new radiator on line that confirmed to me that it is in fact higher on one side versus the other and that is normal / intended. I don't know if your radiator is any different looking than mine (in its height difference from one side to the other). I was comfortable believing that it is intended to be that way - at least based on the pictures I ended up finding online. If it isn't leaking, slap it back in and enjoy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
I have split my radiator over the weekend. I can't tell where its bent/tweaked, or if it is bent/tweaked.

So I either fix a bent radiator or purchase a new replacement (not cheap I would guess).
Opinions?

No clearance for the clutch lever and poor fitment on the tapered fat bar section, to me causing a stress riser.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #4928
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,483
What kind of clutch and brake levers have you guys upgraded to? I have tweaked mine one to many times.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #4929
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:

The mount on the handlebar is probably "up side down", so to speak. Turn it around its axis (damn itīs hard to explain when english isnīt the first language...hope you understand ) and slide it up towards the handle to get more room for the clutchlever.

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #4930
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:

Opinions?

I just had my radiator off to give it a good cleaning and it definietly doesn't look like that. I also don't agree that it is higher on one side than the other. I do believe that the mounting points on both sides should be even with one another.

Just a guess, but, you landed on the R side. I am thinking you need to get a new unit, instead of repair, and a set of radiator guards (or a safari tank). How did the Rally Raid Tanks fair?
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #4931
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
What kind of clutch and brake levers have you guys upgraded to? I have tweaked mine one to many times.
I am running these. I had to wait about 6 months for them. I thought they were special for the 690 but apparently they are the same as the ones I have on my 990 Supermoto. Not crash tested yet and I have bark busters anyway, but I like the ease of adjustment while riding. Very pricey but high quality.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-part...s/fp-690-lever
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #4932
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I am running these. I had to wait about 6 months for them. I thought they were special for the 690 but apparently they are the same as the ones I have on my 990 Supermoto. Not crash tested yet and I have bark busters anyway, but I like the ease of adjustment while riding. Very pricey but high quality.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-part...s/fp-690-lever
yeah those look nice, i almost pulled the trigger on those when a rock jumped up and broke my clutch lever. I ended up just getting another OEM lever for 50 bucks. Anybody know of a "cheaper than the OEM" lever to carry as a spare?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #4933
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I just had my radiator off to give it a good cleaning and it definietly doesn't look like that. I also don't agree that it is higher on one side than the other. I do believe that the mounting points on both sides should be even with one another.

Just a guess, but, you landed on the R side. I am thinking you need to get a new unit, instead of repair, and a set of radiator guards (or a safari tank). How did the Rally Raid Tanks fair?
Mine was pretty badly bent and the filler neck broken. Myler's fixed it quickly (low cost) and is still working great today except that the lower plastic screws don't line up properly. I replaced them with zip ties (much easier on/off now).
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #4934
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
speaking of handguards....

I would like to order the HDB setup but I'm not 100% clear on what I'm asking for so, requesting a little guidance.

I have emailed with Paul but perhaps a few pics or different phrasing from someone here may help more.

I know I want the ADV clamp, guards, mirrors, etc all anodized.

I'd also like the finished height to be about 1.5" above stock (aprox...I'm kind of guessing until I try it out). But I'm not sure how that translates to which size to ask for as the HDB lower clamps are: 1 3/4, 2 1/8, 2 1/2 or 3" tall. Or maybe the question I need to be asking is what is the stock size?

Lastly - I'd like to add a damper to the setup, but don't think I can do that right now. Are there any issues with adding one to this setup at a later time?

I asked Paul that and this was the response....

"My understanding is the Scotts/BRP type you can add on later to a 690 without any changes and add's about an inch, with my setup you'd want to get it up front as the rider side bolt go thru the top clamp, my setup only supports the forward most handlebar position and the mount is about 7/16" thick then you add on the lower clamps, 1 3/4, 2 1/8, 2 1/2 or 3" tall, see the gif."

Each time I read that I come out with a different answer. I guess I'm just thick.

Thanks for any info and pics...wanting to place my order asap.

Thanks,

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #4935
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Mine was pretty badly bent and the filler neck broken. Myler's fixed it quickly (low cost) and is still working great today except that the lower plastic screws don't line up properly. I replaced them with zip ties (much easier on/off now).
You could very well be correct and they can fix it. It just looks like it has shifted up quite a bit on the R side.

They (Myler's) must be able to work magic....
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote