Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #6376
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
New to this bike and new to fuel-injection so I'm turning to you "wise guys" for advice and/or input. I realize many are switching to the metal Napa filter and I will probably do the same. That said...

How much benefit would a secondary, in-line filter like this be?
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=2511
Those glass filter are a screen more then a filter , quick and easy to clean and change. You can get similar but billet and replaceable filter but a little bigger .
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #6377
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
If you skip the internal filter, how do you connect the fuel lines? They took out a few feet of (crimped) fuel line when my pump was replaced, but the filter is close to the other end. Where do you get the little clamps?
My local parts store had plastic fuel line repair kits in 1/4". Two brass barbed pipes and 4 crimps clamps for $5, worked like a charm.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #6378
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Seat Concepts for 690R

Just want to shout out for Seat Concepts. I used a KTM gelseat on my 950 for 7 years. Good for 6 hours anyway. I use a stock Yamaha WR250R seat with the addition of a 'Buttpad' to similar effect. Not so with my 2012 690R...

2 hours was tops with the stock seat. It is too soft for me. The buttpad helped, but not enough. So I bought the Seat Concepts kit and I am shocked at how nice it is. They must have the secret sauce for foam pads. Firm, but not too firm. Vibration absorbtion is terrific.

I spent an extra $40 buying staple gear that wasn't strong enough to do the job on that fiberglas seat pan. I gave finally it to a seat guy and presto! But the whole thing cost nearly $300 by the time it was finished. Just sayin...

Great value since it works!

PS: The motor is finally smooth all the way through the range at 3500 miles. It's still a single, but right up there with my old LC8 twin at highway speeds.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #6379
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Just want to shout out for Seat Concepts. I used a KTM gelseat on my 950 for 7 years. Good for 6 hours anyway. I use a stock Yamaha WR250R seat with the addition of a 'Buttpad' to similar effect. Not so with my 2012 690R...

2 hours was tops with the stock seat. It is too soft for me. The buttpad helped, but not enough. So I bought the Seat Concepts kit and I am shocked at how nice it is. They must have the secret sauce for foam pads. Firm, but not too firm. Vibration absorbtion is terrific.

I spent an extra $40 buying staple gear that wasn't strong enough to do the job on that fiberglas seat pan. I gave finally it to a seat guy and presto! But the whole thing cost nearly $300 by the time it was finished. Just sayin...

Great value since it works!

PS: The motor is finally smooth all the way through the range at 3500 miles. It's still a single, but right up there with my old LC8 twin at highway speeds.
Drat...there was one forsale here in NZ including the seat which I almost bought but then I read too many reviews that said they were too hard and don't bother...now this report singin its praises! I guess like everything in motorcycling (tires, exhausts, shocks, make, model, yada yada) the only way to know if it works for you is for you to try it. I should have bought it

PS: my bike was nowhere near as clean as yours after 3500 miles
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #6380
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Those glass filter are a screen more then a filter , quick and easy to clean and change. You can get similar but billet and replaceable filter but a little bigger .
Thanks for the reply's.

Where would be a good place to "snip" for the in-line. Would like easy access. Does anyone know if the fuel line is 5/16 or 3/8's?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #6381
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I added an extra loop of fuel line to get the filter out of the way of the air box. I am currently running a WIX (i think) universal plastic filter. It is visible from the side of the bike which is nice.

Sorry about the bad picture. I will try to get a better one up here soon if you guys want.
Trying to picture the "extra loop" part. Would be interested in seeing a close up picture of your set-up.

Also curious - anyone carry a spare quick connect (fuel line) piece as part of your parts/tool kit? Heard they may prone to failing.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #6382
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Thanks for the reply's.

Where would be a good place to "snip" for the in-line. Would like easy access. Does anyone know if the fuel line is 5/16 or 3/8's?
I removed my quick disconnect and put the filter there. I have a 5/16 barbed end filter.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #6383
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I think you found the problem.
Interesting ....a week ago I asked about this potential issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged

Riders,

Question: Why is it that these "cheap" plastic filters are used for a pressure between 40-60 lbs psi , whereas years some years ago the BMW folks replaced their internal filters with metal-clad filters "because of the psi factor" ( ie. the filter would not explode due to pressure). I externalized the fuel filter on my 1100GS with the appropriate metal-clad filter and have not had to go into the tank to change filters.

Just wondering

I haven't read here or heard otherwise that these cheapo plastic filters have caused any problems.....

Motoged

Most cars,petrol & diesel,now use plastic injection-moulded 2part filter housings,that are usually ultrasonically welded together after the filter element is put in.
The vast improvement in thermoplastic materials over the last couple of decades has allowed for the safe replacement of metal-clad filters,and other under-bonnet parts,from metal to plastic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, thermoplastic welding ain't all it's cracked up to be. .....so why don't we put that metal (quick-disconnect replacement) filter ( WIX 33012) in the tank as well????

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #6384
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Trying to picture the "extra loop" part. Would be interested in seeing a close up picture of your set-up.

Also curious - anyone carry a spare quick connect (fuel line) piece as part of your parts/tool kit? Heard they may prone to failing.
There are plastic QD's and metal ones....Buy the metal one....and also several extra Viton o-rings for the unit as they are easily nicked when reconnecting unless you are careful....press the release flange when reconnecting rather than just jamming them together to reconnect .

The failures are either cut o-rings or plastic ends (where fuel line is clamped) breaking off the main housing.

Learned all that years ago on the BMW GS thread....or Micapeak forum

P.S. CFL Grey Cup Game tomorrow.....new 50" plasma but no HD box connection yet....another excuse to not clean the garage

Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #6385
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Potential for the 690???

Algae fueled, turbo charged Baja 1K bike.

I don't know if I saw this here first. A San Diego project to Baja Test future fuels. There always seems to be a camera around.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E7yePC-4nlg

Here's how it turned out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRoLy...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqD2qodtdA

Looks like a beemer frame and drive train

Maybe BobZ can work this into his 690 alternative

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #6386
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Just went out and got an external fuel filter. A proflow 100m $40 , I will get a couple of replacement filters a 10 & 30m

http://pfefittings.com/product_info....oducts_id=6140

I suppose bigger the filter the longer it takes to clog so I'll try a 10 , being that is external it is easy to get to
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #6387
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I removed my quick disconnect and put the filter there. I have a 5/16 barbed end filter.
I like this idea since it removes the possible failure of the QD's I was questioning in prev post.

Any ol' fuel hose clamp do on the barbed ends of filter?

Sure like the idea of a clear housing but I suppose the glass may be damaged too easy.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #6388
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 79
replace filter and pump before they fail?

Guys, these fuel filter and pump issues are scary to me, I have some multi-day trips planned early 2013, where a failure would be extremely disruptive and costly, and I have only 11k km on my 2011 690R... would anybody recommend changing these before they fail for such trips? I dont know if I have the skills to do it myself in the garage, let alone on a trail somewhere. I have never used "low quality" fuel (only used it in france), so perhaps I can feel safe for another few thousand km? Maybe something to plan for the upcoming 15k service in a few months? thanks for any advice.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #6389
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

I'd say most of the issues are with 08 models , the pump swap is real easy , if you can take off the front wheel you can change the pump. There are a couple of post and check YouTube .
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #6390
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 877
The only issue with swapping out the fuel pump is the fuel pissing out on the floor. If you have the do a replacement trailside you might end up with a serviceable pump and no fuel. Better do it in advance.