Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #6661
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,093
A friend got a set of 4 pistons with wrist pins custom machined for a 2.0 litre 16v Saab race engine. The pistons were about $600 for the set and were build with relief for the valves. They were set up for a 12:1 compression ratio.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #6662
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 739
Got the FI light flashing at me over the weekend on my new 690, 450km on the clock. 1 long 3 short. I'm picking it is to do with the Airbox air temp sensor according to the manual - possible loose wiring?

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #6663
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
Got the FI light flashing at me over the weekend on my new 690, 450km on the clock. 1 long 3 short. I'm picking it is to do with the Airbox air temp sensor according to the manual - possible loose wiring?
Probably broken wiring. The wire going to the connector doesn't have enough slack in it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #6664
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Probably broken wiring. The wire going to the connector doesn't have enough slack in it.
I just stripped my '11 after 7000km & have found several chafed wires. Despicable for a machine of this caliber. If I had not checked myself I'm sure I would have been left high and dry on the trail some day...
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #6665
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 739
I took the bike into the bike shop and they replaced the temp sensor unit in the airbox with one from a Freeride demo bike they had. Said to try it out over the weekend and let them know if it fixes the flashing FI or not. Sweet!

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #6666
gspadafore
Spadboy

Oddometer: 3
Trials tire on 690?

I love using trials tire on my KTM 300 for all kinds of riding, mostly single track technical stuff. Just bought a 690 and heading to Copper Canyon soon, some pavement, lots of high speed 2 track. Anyone have experience with trials tire on 690. Assume Pirelli MT 21 might work.
2010 BMW K1300S
gspadafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #6667
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
I took the bike into the bike shop and they replaced the temp sensor unit in the airbox with one from a Freeride demo bike they had. Said to try it out over the weekend and let them know if it fixes the flashing FI or not. Sweet!
Every time mines ever broken the wire, or the sensor failed it never made a difference with the way the bike runs, just that annoying fault code flashing.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #6668
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Hi all

looking at getting a spare fuel pump

CA Cycleworks Pump (£155.00) or Genuine KTM (Fuel Pump & Flange kit £260.00)

Anyone had a problem with the Cycleworks Pump ?

Cheers

Louis
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #6669
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisdut View Post
Hi all

looking at getting a spare fuel pump

CA Cycleworks Pump (£155.00) or Genuine KTM (Fuel Pump & Flange kit £260.00)

Anyone had a problem with the Cycleworks Pump ?

Cheers

Louis
At half the price who cares , but there has been no bad reports lately I think there was a few duds in the first few of cycle works pump but nothing but good comments now , I have one on the way my self along with some other goodies
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #6670
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
At half the price who cares , but there has been no bad reports lately I think there was a few duds in the first few of cycle works pump but nothing but good comments now , I have one on the way my self along with some other goodies
Cheers for the reply

Had no problems with the original pump, and it would be a spare to take on our travels, so reliability is more important than cost in this instance

But good to hear good comments about the cycle works pump as its alot less cash

Cheers

Louis
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #6671
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
I think the problem with the early CA pumps was just one of the fittings and that got sorted out pretty quick. I've got 14K miles on a replacement KTM pump FWIW.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #6672
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspadafore View Post
I love using trials tire on my KTM 300 for all kinds of riding, mostly single track technical stuff. Just bought a 690 and heading to Copper Canyon soon, some pavement, lots of high speed 2 track. Anyone have experience with trials tire on 690. Assume Pirelli MT 21 might work.
The Pirelli MT43 is the trials tire you want if you go w/trials....it is DOT approved and lasts a long time....3 seasons on my 450....but haven't used it on the 690.....cuz I am in love w/ MotoZ Desert for rear tire

The MT21 is a standard tire for the 690 ....and they have widely varying mileage reports....I would go with Mitas for the rear before another MT21.....or before a TKC80:

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e09-d...rear-tire.html

E09 reviews (varied): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614147

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #6673
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
ca cycleworks pump

I also have a ca cycleworks pump on order, hoping it clears up my issues that arose at the end of the riding season. Confident it will. Went with a CA based upon reviews, price, and if it works then my problem is solved and will order another as a spare. Will have 2 pumps for around the price of one ktm pump. If it does not solve my problems, then at least I have a spare pump!

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #6674
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Vibey 690R

My 09 690R is a bit vibey, not excessive but enough to everytime i press the tach buttons they feel like vibrating alot and when pressing might skip one position like if pressed twice. at 60mph when looking at the mirror all i can see is a blur, and yes, the mirror is not loose!

On the handlebars it feels a bit too, not excessive to get the hands numb but still a bit more than i was expecting. I know it's a single cylinder engine, yet i was expecting it to be way less vibey. Bike was bought used, haven't noticed any significant change.

I know it's hard to compare but anyone has experienced a vibey 690 and cured/reduced the vibration? Tried a friends similar model and it felt smoother.

It's fitted with an Akro can and the grips are KTM gel ones, might change to foam when these get worn out.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #6675
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
I know it's hard to compare but anyone has experienced a vibey 690 and cured/reduced the vibration? Tried a friends similar model and it felt smoother.

It's fitted with an Akro can and the grips are KTM gel ones, might change to foam when these get worn out.
Yep, can't see anything in the mirrors except headlights unless you pull in the clutch and drop the throttle. Yours sounds normal to me, and I have owned 2 690s.

As far as the grips are concerned GET THESE. If you order now, you should have them by April. Their customer service sucks, they take a while to get to you, but they are the only place to get them, and the grips are excellent.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote