ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #6661
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
At half the price who cares , but there has been no bad reports lately I think there was a few duds in the first few of cycle works pump but nothing but good comments now , I have one on the way my self along with some other goodies
I think the problem with the early CA pumps was just one of the fittings and that got sorted out pretty quick. I've got 14K miles on a replacement KTM pump FWIW.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #6662
motoged
Studly Adventurer
 
motoged's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspadafore View Post
I love using trials tire on my KTM 300 for all kinds of riding, mostly single track technical stuff. Just bought a 690 and heading to Copper Canyon soon, some pavement, lots of high speed 2 track. Anyone have experience with trials tire on 690. Assume Pirelli MT 21 might work.
The Pirelli MT43 is the trials tire you want if you go w/trials....it is DOT approved and lasts a long time....3 seasons on my 450....but haven't used it on the 690.....cuz I am in love w/ MotoZ Desert for rear tire



The MT21 is a standard tire for the 690 ....and they have widely varying mileage reports....I would go with Mitas for the rear before another MT21.....or before a TKC80:

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e09-d...rear-tire.html




E09 reviews (varied): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614147
__________________
Ged Schwartz
Kamloops , BC


Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track




motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #6663
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Prairies...
Oddometer: 223
ca cycleworks pump

I also have a ca cycleworks pump on order, hoping it clears up my issues that arose at the end of the riding season. Confident it will. Went with a CA based upon reviews, price, and if it works then my problem is solved and will order another as a spare. Will have 2 pumps for around the price of one ktm pump. If it does not solve my problems, then at least I have a spare pump!

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #6664
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer
 
Gustavo.Ramos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Accross the pond
Oddometer: 911
Vibey 690R

My 09 690R is a bit vibey, not excessive but enough to everytime i press the tach buttons they feel like vibrating alot and when pressing might skip one position like if pressed twice. at 60mph when looking at the mirror all i can see is a blur, and yes, the mirror is not loose!

On the handlebars it feels a bit too, not excessive to get the hands numb but still a bit more than i was expecting. I know it's a single cylinder engine, yet i was expecting it to be way less vibey. Bike was bought used, haven't noticed any significant change.

I know it's hard to compare but anyone has experienced a vibey 690 and cured/reduced the vibration? Tried a friends similar model and it felt smoother.

It's fitted with an Akro can and the grips are KTM gel ones, might change to foam when these get worn out.
__________________
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #6665
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
I know it's hard to compare but anyone has experienced a vibey 690 and cured/reduced the vibration? Tried a friends similar model and it felt smoother.

It's fitted with an Akro can and the grips are KTM gel ones, might change to foam when these get worn out.
Yep, can't see anything in the mirrors except headlights unless you pull in the clutch and drop the throttle. Yours sounds normal to me, and I have owned 2 690s.

As far as the grips are concerned GET THESE. If you order now, you should have them by April. Their customer service sucks, they take a while to get to you, but they are the only place to get them, and the grips are excellent.
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #6666
TheVikingRider
mudonmymind
 
TheVikingRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: WNC
Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Yep, can't see anything in the mirrors except headlights unless you pull in the clutch and drop the throttle. Yours sounds normal to me, and I have owned 2 690s.

As far as the grips are concerned GET THESE. If you order now, you should have them by April. Their customer service sucks, they take a while to get to you, but they are the only place to get them, and the grips are excellent.
I love those grips and they sell them at MR Motorcycle here in Asheville NC.
__________________
08 690 Enduro
07 Bonnie Black
TheVikingRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #6667
ztrab
Studly Adventurer
 
ztrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 697
cycleworks pump

After I had to pull my pump out and unkink the fuel lines in the middle of Baja and had to ride 100 miles well into the night to catch my group, I bought the Cycleworks pump, made an ABS container and clamped it to the trellis frame where it has remained for the last 2-1/2 years. My OEM pump has behaved ever since, intimidated I am certain by the prospect of a replacement !
__________________
09 1200 SGA
07 1200 GS SOLD
06 HP2 (damn it Cartwright) Sold
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #6668
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisdut View Post
Hi all

looking at getting a spare fuel pump

CA Cycleworks Pump (£155.00) or Genuine KTM (Fuel Pump & Flange kit £260.00)

Anyone had a problem with the Cycleworks Pump ?

Cheers

Louis
Louis,
I have the CW pump in and zero problems since, about 2K miles. I also replacedthe filter outside the tank for easier replacement. So for so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
My 09 690R is a bit vibey, not excessive but enough to everytime i press the tach buttons they feel like vibrating alot and when pressing might skip one position like if pressed twice. at 60mph when looking at the mirror all i can see is a blur, and yes, the mirror is not loose!

On the handlebars it feels a bit too, not excessive to get the hands numb but still a bit more than i was expecting. I know it's a single cylinder engine, yet i was expecting it to be way less vibey. Bike was bought used, haven't noticed any significant change.

I know it's hard to compare but anyone has experienced a vibey 690 and cured/reduced the vibration? Tried a friends similar model and it felt smoother.

It's fitted with an Akro can and the grips are KTM gel ones, might change to foam when these get worn out.
I have fitted the BRP rubber mounted submont kit. I also wanted a damper so this solved two issues for me. The vibes and the damper.
http://www.brpmoto.com/components/co...e1018e0fbb.jpg
Now I can actually tell if the police is behind me rather than just a set of headlights.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #6669
lostdogproducts
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 14
Hi, This is Martin the center stand guy. I've sold one and it's in the mail as they say. I have one on my bike and eight at the powder coaters. These are the standard height stands for the 2012 models and a few older ones that have the shorter legs. My next batch of 10 stands will be the tall stands for the older R models with 1" longer legs. The website crashed but nobody got hurt.. We should get it going again here soon. I'm still taking orders but I need to build up some stock so I can keep the buyers happy. You can e-mail me at lostdogproducts@gmail.com if you like. Happy Trails !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWarrior View Post
Keep us posted about this bike stand. I'll post some picture when I get more stock.


Nick
lostdogproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #6670
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Now I can actually tell if the police is behind me rather than just a set of headlights.
I've never had that problem, if there's a set of headlights behind me, it IS the police.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #6671
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer
 
Gustavo.Ramos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Accross the pond
Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I have fitted the BRP rubber mounted submont kit. I also wanted a damper so this solved two issues for me. The vibes and the damper.
http://www.brpmoto.com/components/co...e1018e0fbb.jpg
Now I can actually tell if the police is behind me rather than just a set of headlights.
Interesting set up, yet it may mask something as i've ridden another similar bike and it vibed significantly less..

Are there reportys of significant vibration from other 690 models? Duke, SM, etc..?
__________________
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #6672
KTBen
Barrrp!
 
KTBen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Pipers Flat, N.S.W. Australia
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Probably broken wiring. The wire going to the connector doesn't have enough slack in it.
Good work, mine started flashing at me the other day and I read this and sure as, broken wire fixed!
__________________
690 ADV
KTBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #6673
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
Interesting set up, yet it may mask something as i've ridden another similar bike and it vibed significantly less..

Are there reportys of significant vibration from other 690 models? Duke, SM, etc..?
Mine smoothed out at about 3500 miles. It's stock.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #6674
Roadcat
The Lordly Keeper Of
 
Roadcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
My 09 690R is a bit vibey, not excessive but enough to everytime i press the tach buttons they feel like vibrating alot and when pressing might skip one position like if pressed twice. at 60mph when looking at the mirror all i can see is a blur, and yes, the mirror is not loose!

On the handlebars it feels a bit too, not excessive to get the hands numb but still a bit more than i was expecting. I know it's a single cylinder engine, yet i was expecting it to be way less vibey. Bike was bought used, haven't noticed any significant change.

I know it's hard to compare but anyone has experienced a vibey 690 and cured/reduced the vibration? Tried a friends similar model and it felt smoother.

It's fitted with an Akro can and the grips are KTM gel ones, might change to foam when these get worn out.
I'm working at cutting down the vibrations in stages. I've replaced the grips with foam ones (helped a bit) and installed Vibranator inserts http://www.vibranator.com/ (also helped a bit). I have arthritis in my fingers and there's still enough vibes left to make me hurt after a day of riding. The next step is to try Rox Anti-vibration Risers, I'll let you know how they work when I get them.
Roadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #6675
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba
 
Bill the Bong's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kalahari South Africa
Oddometer: 961
All the comments about vibration makes sense, however, if there has been a sudden change in viration levels, check the engine mounts.
__________________
KTM 690 R - "Its just a little crush..."
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015