Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #6976
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Common problem, most any bike parts store will stock Relays for LED turn signals.

It might be a plug and play-type device or you might have to snip, strip and reattach two wires. None the less it's a very straight forward parts swapout.

Dirty
There are 2 main types that will work. A 2 wire which is a simple swap.. or a 3 wire which you will need to add a ground. pull the current relay and turn the bike on. Check which wire is hot. The other wire goes to the contoles. The relay you get should have a schematic with it. Good luck!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #6977
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
Hi all, I fitted some LED indicators, but they don't flash. I'm presuming that I need a new indicator relay?? I've located the relay behind the headlight, but can anyone point me in the right direction in where I can get a suitable LED indicator relay??

Cheers
I got tired of replacing broken rear blinkers, and fitted some small road-legal rear LED blinkers, which needed an extra resistor to keep them blinking at the correct rate (otherwise too fast). Using an extra resistor to ensure the same load from the LED indicators as from regular blinkers (5W ?) may be a solution for you?

Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #6978
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 977

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Any 690 folks in Florida?
I'm heading down there in March for some offroading and to check out Daytona Supercross.
Yup, 2010 690 in Bradenton Area West Coast
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #6979
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,563
Got 400 miles on my bike since I did the top end and it's running great

I put the dirt wheels back on and put on a new rear tire. IRC TR-8. First time trying one of these. I've been using the IRC VE 33's on the front of both my 690 and 450 EXC and tehy've been great tires.

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:43 AM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #6980
DaveInSt.Augustine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Any 690 folks in Florida?
I'm heading down there in March for some offroading and to check out Daytona Supercross.

I'm in St.Augustine. There's some pretty fun trails in the Ocala National Forrest. This bike is pretty good in the sand.

DaveInSt.Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #6981
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 443
Cool!
I'll be riding around Ocala, Appalachicola, and Osceola National Forest on Sunday March 10 --> March 12.
If anybody wants to meet up. I was able to get some gpx tracks, too, from a nice Floridian.
Here's my trip planning thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849397

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_t08 View Post
I'm in St.Augustine. There's some pretty fun trails in the Ocala National Forrest. This bike is pretty good in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Yup, 2010 690 in Bradenton Area West Coast
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #6982
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,895
FINALLY MADE IT!

It took me 3 weeks to get thru all 466 pages of this thread.

My Ginger has been sitting on a stand waiting for me to give her some attention.

I've gleaned about 5 written pages of items to be inspected on my bike as well as a bunch of links to videos and posts on mods and fixes. Great information from a great bunch of people!

I've got a big mountain of goodies to be installed.
One more weekend of distraction (Parker 425) and then I can start to get cozy with Ginger.
I sure hope my Big Orange doesn't get jealous. Maybe I should ride her to work since it is warming up.
My2Wheels
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #6983
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
FINALLY MADE IT!

It took me 3 weeks to get thru all 466 pages of this thread.

My Ginger has been sitting on a stand waiting for me to give her some attention.

I've gleaned about 5 written pages of items to be inspected on my bike as well as a bunch of links to videos and posts on mods and fixes. Great information from a great bunch of people!

I've got a big mountain of goodies to be installed.
One more weekend of distraction (Parker 425) and then I can start to get cozy with Ginger.
I sure hope my Big Orange doesn't get jealous. Maybe I should ride her to work since it is warming up.

I will call you later in the week.
I may be coming out to Parker on friday.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #6984
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I will call you later in the week.
I may be coming out to Parker on friday.
This sounds expensive for me.

I still have not seen a direct answer about if the 690 swing arm requires water drain holes like the EXC & adventure swing arms.
My2Wheels
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #6985
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
This sounds expensive for me.

I still have not seen a direct answer about if the 690 swing arm requires water drain holes like the EXC & adventure swing arms.
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and drill the holes. Heck, I've never bothered to drill my EXC. I just slather on some anti seize on the adjuster bolts every now and then.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #6986
TheMuffinMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
So rocker arm bearing play. What exactly is to be tested? I want to know personally but since this is one of the main known issues with the bike it'd be great to put a blurb up on the wiki about it as well.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #6987
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
So rocker arm bearing play. What exactly is to be tested? I want to know personally but since this is one of the main known issues with the bike it'd be great to put a blurb up on the wiki about it as well.
From what I understand it's abnormal wear and scoring.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #6988
meteorite
MoreDust

Oddometer: 18
FI ignition coil

Took my 09 Enduro R for a spin on the nearby beach today. Noticed a momentarily sputter earlier at full throttle 3rd gear. Not too worried then as she kept going good after that. Later, as distance between home and more fun grew, one more sputter and silence:. For the first time since I had my bike I got a FI code. Boy was I exited !!! 3 long 7 short= ignition coil issues. Ok time for payback after all the fun I had. Due to location and some other considerations, I started the long push home. Great review on my Sidi boots to follow. Made it home late (or early I should say) bit thirsty but in good spirit. Tomorrow I shall tackle the issue. Quick read in my repair manual says to check resistance between two indicated points on the coil. Thats where I'll start. If anyone here dealt with similar issue, any advice/recommendations/findings will be liked.
"Some of you will give up. Some of you will even try to run. I warn you, until now no one succeeded. When the Legion doesn't get you, the Arabs will. When the Arabs won't catch you, the desert will. And when the desert doesn't devour your measly corpses, then I will. I wouldn't know what's worse".
Major Foster "March or Die"
meteorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #6989
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,411
mine did this to me out in the middle of no where this past summer.... part of this was my fault for not making sure that the coil wires were completely onto the terminals on the coil while doing PM, service and reconfig of systems. The first portion of it showed up on the trail in the midst of a 4 day ride. I managed to find it, and "fix" it, or so I thought.... I turned round on the single track that we were on and headed back out 2 miles to the road and then we rode access roads to meet up with the rest of the Epic Dual sport riders.... and 3 blocks away from the hotel right after a traffic light, engine off like a switch.. and FI codes 3-7, which at the time ment bumpkis to me on the side of the road in 105 deg F Wenatchee. I figured that there was something else wrong and so I pushed the bike to the hotel, again, still in 105 deg F. After several LARGE beers at the restaurant one of my riding buddies who is the parts manager at the local KTM store said "hey, I found the manual for my 350 online, can't find the 690, but it says that 3S-7L is a coil fault".... So we had a direction to go in to solve it... We went back to the hotel parking lot and I tore into it, pulling the right side rally tank off and the regulator so I could get to the coil without issue (coil relocated for rally tanks) and there you have it.... F'n wire had completely fallen off the coil. So I pulled the other wire off the coil and preloaded the connectors (squeezed with pliers) and made damn sure that they both went completely onto the coil terminals. Started right up, no hiccups since and its been through some fun trails for sure!
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #6990
meteorite
MoreDust

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
mine did this to me out in the middle of no where this past summer.... part of this was my fault for not making sure that the coil wires were completely onto the terminals on the coil while doing PM, service and reconfig of systems. The first portion of it showed up on the trail in the midst of a 4 day ride. I managed to find it, and "fix" it, or so I thought.... I turned round on the single track that we were on and headed back out 2 miles to the road and then we rode access roads to meet up with the rest of the Epic Dual sport riders.... and 3 blocks away from the hotel right after a traffic light, engine off like a switch.. and FI codes 3-7, which at the time ment bumpkis to me on the side of the road in 105 deg F Wenatchee. I figured that there was something else wrong and so I pushed the bike to the hotel, again, still in 105 deg F. After several LARGE beers at the restaurant one of my riding buddies who is the parts manager at the local KTM store said "hey, I found the manual for my 350 online, can't find the 690, but it says that 3S-7L is a coil fault".... So we had a direction to go in to solve it... We went back to the hotel parking lot and I tore into it, pulling the right side rally tank off and the regulator so I could get to the coil without issue (coil relocated for rally tanks) and there you have it.... F'n wire had completely fallen off the coil. So I pulled the other wire off the coil and preloaded the connectors (squeezed with pliers) and made damn sure that they both went completely onto the coil terminals. Started right up, no hiccups since and its been through some fun trails for sure!
Thanks H2W. Shall check that for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if I have the same. Good fun though. Way to meet people. The locals had a good giggle as they squeaked by on old rusty bicycles and unpronounceable brand motorcycles.
"Some of you will give up. Some of you will even try to run. I warn you, until now no one succeeded. When the Legion doesn't get you, the Arabs will. When the Arabs won't catch you, the desert will. And when the desert doesn't devour your measly corpses, then I will. I wouldn't know what's worse".
Major Foster "March or Die"
meteorite is offline   Reply With Quote