Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
That's a purdy hub...
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #7098
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Thumb

Thank you for your kind responses.

I`m starting to get more and more into technical riding and much more crashing and the DR I`m currently destroying just don`t cut it... not the power or suspension which could be easily fixed, but the WEIGHT by the end of the day just dragging it up a hill, picking it up 10-15 times just simply riding it agressively absulutely knackers you... ATM I can only affort 1 bike which has to commute, last the distance, and versatile a bit of a jack of all trades bike, and I narrowed down my choices to the Husaberg FE 570, and the 690 both of them has obvious advantages and disadvantages, but if I can realistically (lot of things comming down, lot goes back on) loose 10kg-s maybe more the 690 would be a MUCH more attractive and probably the only option.

Some would say 10kg is nothing, but IMHO it`s a significant weight I can live without.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #7099
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post

I`m starting to get more and more into technical riding and much more crashing and the DR I`m currently destroying just don`t cut it... not the power or suspension which could be easily fixed, but the WEIGHT by the end of the day just dragging it up a hill, picking it up 10-15 times just simply riding it agressively absulutely knackers you... ATM I can only affort 1 bike which has to commute, last the distance, and versatile a bit of a jack of all trades bike, and I narrowed down my choices to the Husaberg FE 570, and the 690 both of them has obvious advantages and disadvantages, but if I can realistically (lot of things comming down, lot goes back on) loose 10kg-s maybe more the 690 would be a MUCH more attractive and probably the only option.

Some would say 10kg is nothing, but IMHO it`s a significant weight I can live without.
I own a 2009 450 Berg and a 2008 690. If you are going to be riding the woods, doing enduros, technical single track, mud etc and are looking at hefting a bike around buy the Berg. The berg is a great bike and weighs around 60lbs (27Kg) less than the 690. The fuel injection is spot on for the berg and while it shares the same pump and has some of the same pump/injector problems they are even easier to work on than the 690.

If you have long distances to ride to get to the trail head, ride faster and less technical terrain or plan on doing some touring then the 690 may be a better choice. The 690 is a big dirtbike and it will handle the single track and woods riding but it weighs in around your DRZ and has twice the hp.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #7100
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
That's a purdy hub...

Better than a purdy mouth. Haha
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #7101
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post

A 570 Berg (and its current and prior counterparts) is a high-end enduro bike, and needs a bit of respect its also high maintenance its not a commuter ...
The 690 is the most capable jack of all trades on the market today the Husky TE630 was a close rival, but no longer on offer but the DRZ400 also remains a good option it will get you around pretty much any trail (incl. single track), and is a reasonable short-middle distance commuter bombproof reliability and low maintenance lots of fun to ride ...
If youre just graduating from a DR, I would look at a DRZ ...
You dont need a Berg 570 ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #7102
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
So in my continued effort to serve as but a warning to others, I shall let it be known that plugging this port:

while performing the air box delete step in the EVO2 tuning kit install will turn your clutch cover into a makeshift blowoff valve.

I now have a rather odd request...I can't remember exactly how deep the o-ring around the clutch cover is supposed to be seated. I've looked through this entire thread for close up pictures of clutch covers, and the ones I've found it's hard to tell if you can see a small amount bare aluminum on the outside of the oring or not.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about (from another inmate who had a similar issue):

Can someone take a quick peek at their 690 for me and let me know if the o-ring is seated such that you can see a small amount a bare (silver) aluminum around the outside? I want to make sure I get this thing put back together as best I can and the repair manual has nothing on this.

Thanks

ten.98 screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 04:51 PM
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #7103
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Sacreligioius pictures

Been "tied up" a bit but thought I'd post some pics of my $4 mod that made my recent West coast trip so much more comfy in the 30-40 degree weather. (FWIW I had just come from 95 deg F and didn't have any good warm clothes!)

rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #7104
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
There is also a bleeder valve on the top left as I recall...make sure that is tight.
Oh that could be it then. It is def coming form LH side radiator when I looked again right where the fan is! Surely this would not fail after 500km? The fan did a lot of work coming on when I did a bit of single stuff? Maybe that did it?

Surely if this is know issue they would have fixed it for 2012 model?

Now to,dealer and how long to diagnose and fix it????

Nice first experience with 690!!!!!

Will let you know the outcome!!!!!

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #7105
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Sounds like the old thremo fan rubbing through again , has your bike been dropped ? On the left side ?
Never dropped, 500km old. This must be issue as the leak is right where the fan is LH side arrrrrr!!!

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #7106
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Been "tied up" a bit but thought I'd post some pics of my $4 mod that made my recent West coast trip so much more comfy in the 30-40 degree weather. (FWIW I had just come from 95 deg F and didn't have any good warm clothes!)

Nice! Is that a rubbermaid screen?

On another note, can you post a couple of pics of your bike from the side & back with the bags on? Are the cases Pelican 1550s? I have been looking at making that setup.

Thanks,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #7107
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Never dropped, 500km old. This must be issue as the leak is right where the fan is LH side arrrrrr!!!

Chris
Just pull off the fan shroud and take a look, it's pretty easy to spot where the shroud rubs a circle into the rad. I have to say though, with only 500 K's I would think that this may not be your problem, that is something that takes a bit of time to happen. More then likely it's probably like my 1st replacement just a bad seam.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #7108
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post

Can someone take a quick peek at their 690 for me and let me know if the o-ring is seated such that you can see a small amount a bare (silver) aluminum around the outside? I want to make sure I get this thing put back together as best I can and the repair manual has nothing on this.

Thanks

Yep. You can see a small amount of metal (less than 1mm probably) - this on my 2012.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #7109
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,208
couple quick questions

I had an 09 which I sold, and shouldnt have... but I just unloaded an 11 that I picked up off craigslist with 736 miles on it... the owner bought it in Alaska in early 2012, and obviously wasnt getting much use out of it. Has not done anything to it except ride the breakin, and take it to the dealer for service.

question is, did KTM do anything about the radiator fan spacing or do i need to get in there and shim it back? I noticed they added a tie-off to keep the fuel line off the frame bolt next to the air box... so i was hoping maybe they are paying attention?

lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #7110
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post

Chris
I have heard of the little vent in the top of the radiator cap pulling out or cracking at the base, check its not running down from there
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote