Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #7246
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Unless you plan on riding off road. HDB rear signals are far better, I've had the same set on four different bikes and have had no problems.
Have you used the SicAss ones? I have about 20k miles on mine, and took them off the 08 and put them on the 2012.

Maybe you have not had any problems because you turn over your bikes so quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #7247
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Have you used the SicAss ones? I have about 20k miles on mine, and took them off the 08 and put them on the 2012.

Maybe you have not had any problems because you turn over your bikes so quickly.
I went through about 3 sets of sicass turn signals on the back of my bike. They kept getting knocked off and after a while they don't like to go back together.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #7248
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
I would suggest not riding it anymore until you replace the slave cylinder. I made the mistake of going through the process you describe a few times, did not replace the slave, and the main bearing ended up letting loose on me causing thousands in damage. I now believe it was from the mineral oil leaking into the bearing. YRMV.
I've heard of this theory before, and I just can't wrap my head around it. There just isn't any way that the very small amount of mineral oil seeped into the 1.8 LITERS of motor oil could do that to the bearings... I mean, the entire system takes MAYBE an ounce? There's just no way...
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #7249
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
I've heard of this theory before, and I just can't wrap my head around it. There just isn't any way that the very small amount of mineral oil seeped into the 1.8 LITERS of motor oil could do that to the bearings... I mean, the entire system takes MAYBE an ounce? There's just no way...
There is one way to find out. It sounds like this theory needs to be tested. Please keep riding the bike and let us know if things gets expensive...then we will avoid doing it

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #7250
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:

20k miles on the road..... Did you miss the part about off road? Yes, had the Sicass signals, ended up breaking them off.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #7251
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,590
Any more pics or are we just gonna internet duel over the merits of each brand. This wasn't an oil question.

Thanks for the pics so far. I like those. Kinda flush yet stick out some. My taillight is LED with intergral turn signals. Every littls bit helps.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #7252
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
There is one way to find out. It sounds like this theory needs to be tested. Please keep riding the bike and let us know if things gets expensive...then we will avoid doing it

Please do report back with your findings.

Granted I did not change engine oil every time I flushed the clutch system, but the closest bearing to where I suspect it would leak out is the one that failed, and no one else has heard reports of the main bearing failing.

Quote:
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #7253
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
20k miles on the road....
Yeah, ok Mr. Hardcore.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #7254
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
From Magura themselves: "No. It should be fine."

Regardless of the tiny amount that can get into the engine, there aren't any abrasive or corrosive properties to mineral oil. We're not talking brake fluid, or other glycol based fluids like hydraulic fluid. Just because it has "mineral" in the name does not mean it has any abrasive properties. It is used in machining and knife sharpening because it is a great lubricant, floating the material being removed away from the working surface.

Quote:

Please do report back with your findings.

Granted I did not change engine oil every time I flushed the clutch system, but the closest bearing to where I suspect it would leak out is the one that failed, and no one else has heard reports of the main bearing failing.
There's also a guy on Supermoto Junkies who had to replace his countershaft because it SNAPPED IN HALF with only 3K on the clock. Stranger things have happened...

We'll see if my main bearings go, but I've got about 5,000 miles on my bike since the fluid started going grey.

Either way, I've ordered an Oberon slave. Seems the LC8 and RC8 folks have had great experiences with their slaves...
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #7255
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
From Magura themselves: "No. It should be fine."

Regardless of the tiny amount that can get into the engine, there aren't any abrasive or corrosive properties to mineral oil. We're not talking brake fluid, or other glycol based fluids like hydraulic fluid. Just because it has "mineral" in the name does not mean it has any abrasive properties. It is used in machining and knife sharpening because it is a great lubricant, floating the material being removed away from the working surface.

There's also a guy on Supermoto Junkies who had to replace his countershaft because it SNAPPED IN HALF with only 3K on the clock. Stranger things have happened...

We'll see if my main bearings go, but I've got about 5,000 miles on my bike since the fluid started going grey.

Either way, I've ordered an Oberon slave. Seems the LC8 and RC8 folks have had great experiences with their slaves...
I was not commenting so much on a belief that there was an abrasive involved, as a concern for lack of viscocity compared with the fully synthetic Motorex.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #7256
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was not commenting so much on a belief that there was an abrasive involved, as a concern for lack of viscocity compared with the fully synthetic Motorex.
Didn't mean to come off that way.

I suppose it's possible there would be a lack of viscosity compared to the Motorex, but there are SO many of the LC4's, LC8's, and RC8's with failing Magura's, you'd think it would be more wide spread.

If mine is leaking, which I'm near positive it is, it's leaking very, VERY slowly. The bike just doesn't have the clutch action it should, especially how smooth it operates after a bleed. But it's still working. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell.

How many miles did you put on the bike while the slave was taking a shit?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #7257
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
How many miles did you put on the bike while the slave was taking a shit?
I could not say for sure, but once I got to the point where it seemed to need the flush/ bleed done a few times in a few months, the bearing failure snuck up on me in one ride, and the bike and I ended up coming home in a truck.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #7258
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,590
Before I replaced my o-ring I was leaking inside for many months. Never really identified what was going on until the o-ring finally failed outright. I had maybe a thousand miles that way 90% off-road. Since we change oil so often in the RFS it never was an issue.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #7259
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Seems the LC8 and RC8 folks have had great experiences with their slaves...

Hey now... this isn't Django Unchained!

New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #7260
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:

Well, my slave cylinder failed completely, no slow dying so I didn't get to try that theory out.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote