Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #7291
daniel5600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Yes there is a carbon fibre shield , but $$$$$$
Cool thanks, although, is that the Akra one? If so, it appears to screw into the Akra exhaust, which I dont have.
Is there another one similar that attaches to the stock header?

Edit: or another option is ceramic coating the header. Has anyone done this? would it reduce heat enough to stop burning things?

daniel5600 screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 03:21 PM
daniel5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #7292
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hey 690 people, I figured i would offer it here first before I throw it in the flea market. I have a 690R instrument cluster, the one without the tach that I'm getting rid of. $90 shipped if anyone is interested. 4000 miles or so on the ODO but I'm pretty sure a dealer can change it for you.
Any knowledge about if it will work with a 2008 Enduro? If so, I'll gladly take it.

a
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #7293
dguevin
Always ginger cravin

Oddometer: 19
wrapping does the trick...

You could also just wrap your header with the right stuff... cheap... easy to do... last long time!
It even looks great... but it is just my opinion.

There is a lot of ''how to'' on youtube...
It will still be a quite hot but you won't burn anything touching it a split second like an unwrapped one...

If you go that way, I'd recommend 1in. wide wrap, it's easier to make the curves... especially if you have to play around these rails installed upfront of the stock exhaust...you overlap about 1/3 of the width and start from back to front... make it snug and tight around... secure it properly with the clamps... good to go !

If you even want to cover the metal thingy in the wrapping, you could use 2 inches stuff and I'm pretty sure the result would be great!

Easy to find at about any parts store or over the internet, a 25 foot roll with all the hardware is about 30$.

Some even talk about HP gain!

dguevin screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 11:34 PM
dguevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #7294
MeinMotorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Hot pipe.

You might want to try the Touratech thing: http://shop.touratech.co.uk/manifold...-enduro-r.html (that links to the UK online shop so be aware and go to your own country's Touratech site)

I cant say if they are good or not, maybe someone here knows. You could maybe make your own out of a beer can

Ceramic coating gives you the chance to paint your exhaust orange:-)

See this for some ideas: http://www.zircotec.com/page/exhaust_system_coatings/60

MeinMotorrad screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 12:19 AM
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #7295
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 72
I tried the TT heat shield, and removed it a few weeks later when I put the Akra on, because it gave off a burning oil smell and did not look cool anyway (literally) and the Akra lets the header pipe breath so the temp is reduced.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #7296
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,895
Took Ginger for about 300 miles of dirt roads & some pavement yesterday.
I have some little things still to be taken care of.1st on the list is to build up another set of wide pegs like on my 950. I was on the tips all day with my big ham legs.
Clearly I have plenty to do on the suspension. For awhile I thought I had taken too much preload out of the shock as I saw tire marks on the center of the tank. After looking at the other 2 690's with me, we all had the same marks. We must've hit something really hard.

Those cute turn signals turned out to be an epic fail. 1 of them ejected the plastic housing on the trail. The metal part of the stem & bulb stayed.
I'll be changing out the new grips for new other grips like I have on my 525. spongy and reduce the vibrations. Man this vibrates even more then my RFS.
I noticed with the Safari tank my low fuel light comes on with a huge amount of gas still in the tanks.

Thoughts from the 690 GURU's??
I was fighting Neutral all day. Going into 1st many times would just drop right back into neutral. Seemed like the shifting mechanism wasn't locking into first. When I slowly put it into first I could feel the lock. If I did it as a fast slam of the foot it would just return to neutral. I do have a +20mm Hammerhead shifter on. Seems like the LC4 has a much longer throw than my RFS.
Is there something I should look at? Should I be changing my shifting style for the LC4? I was considering going back to original shifter to start.
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #7297
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
I tried the TT heat shield, and removed it a few weeks later when I put the Akra on, because it gave off a burning oil smell and did not look cool anyway (literally) and the Akra lets the header pipe breath so the temp is reduced.
how about a metal angle bracket and band clamps?
people make heat shields for luggage that way.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #7298
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Any knowledge about if it will work with a 2008 Enduro? If so, I'll gladly take it.

a
I'm sure it will, the plugs should all be the same and the wheel speed sensor is the same. I can't say 100% though. I'm waiting for payment from another member at the moment but 1st come 1st served.

Aaron
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #7299
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,962
Next up, Underground Machine Damper kit for Scotts damper. Damper not included.
$70 shipped conus
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #7300
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Took Ginger for about 300 miles of dirt roads & some pavement yesterday.
I have some little things still to be taken care of.1st on the list is to build up another set of wide pegs like on my 950. I was on the tips all day with my big ham legs.
Clearly I have plenty to do on the suspension. For awhile I thought I had taken too much preload out of the shock as I saw tire marks on the center of the tank. After looking at the other 2 690's with me, we all had the same marks. We must've hit something really hard.

Those cute turn signals turned out to be an epic fail. 1 of them ejected the plastic housing on the trail. The metal part of the stem & bulb stayed.
I'll be changing out the new grips for new other grips like I have on my 525. spongy and reduce the vibrations. Man this vibrates even more then my RFS.
I noticed with the Safari tank my low fuel light comes on with a huge amount of gas still in the tanks.

I was fighting Neutral all day. Going into 1st many times would just drop right back into neutral. Seemed like the shifting mechanism wasn't locking into first. When I slowly put it into first I could feel the lock. If I did it as a fast slam of the foot it would just return to neutral. I do have a +20mm Hammerhead shifter on. Seems like the LC4 has a much longer throw than my RFS.
Is there something I should look at? Should I be changing my shifting style for the LC4? I was considering going back to original shifter to start.
Tom, the turn signals you ran look similar to mine, but mine have held up to tons of abuse, even my recent crash. Are these the same? These are the ones I'm runnning. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

As for the vibes, a set of vibranators actually helped out quite a bit on mine.

I've never had an issue with shifting other than the occasional missed 5th/ false neutral usually from lazy shifts.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #7301
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:

There seems to be a slightly longer throw between 1 & 2 as well as between 5 & 6. This gives missed shifts now and again until you get used to it. I've found that if there is the slightest clutch drag, the feeling is more pronounced. You might try bleeding the clutch to insure that it disengages completely and make sure that you don't have excess oil volume in the motor. I had never checked the clutch fluid on mine since new in June 08 and I developed an air bubble in the line on a 4 day ride near Cloudcroft NM last October. No mineral oil to be found around there, but baby oil got the clutch going again. (Clutch was as smooth as a baby's butt, however I replaced the oil immediately on return because baby oil has a fair amount of water in it.)
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #7302
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
Tom, the turn signals you ran look similar to mine, but mine have held up to tons of abuse, even my recent crash. Are these the same? These are the ones I'm runnning. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

As for the vibes, a set of vibranators actually helped out quite a bit on mine.

I've never had an issue with shifting other than the occasional missed 5th/ false neutral usually from lazy shifts.
Looks like a similar set in a different package. I'm thinking this one may have been wiped of by a really big bush I pushed thru on the ride.

Might have to look into those.
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #7303
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Anybody got some pics of their small rear turn signals installed?
I just could not bring myself to hang those OEM ones on the sleek Euro taillight assembly.
I run surface mount teardrops on my 525. They are supplemented with integrated Turn signal license frame.

I was thinking small stem style LED version for Ginger. Front & rear.
Yeah, changing flasher to LED style.
Where is that thing located, under seat or behind mask?

Spent a few minutes filing on my wedding band today. Forgot to wear gloves when welding up the sidestand. Wirefeed slag splatter all over it.
My welding SUX.
Anybody got 690R sidestand they want to sell.
Got a set from Watsen Design (www.watsendesign.com) not cheap, but pretty damn awesome and bright too. No chance of knocking them off in a hurry - the rear end of the bike would have to break off first
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #7304
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I just installed a set of the new Vibranators to my '12 690 ER. You cut 1" off the end of each side of the bars, tap the bars with the supplied tap, and screw the inserts in (adding back the inch that was cut off). With my uncalibrated hands, I would say there was about a 50% decrease in vibs.

Two items to mention: No instructions for the new style inserts, and you need much shorter handguard bolts if you are running handguards (not supplied in the kit).

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #7305
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Got a set from Watsen Design (www.watsendesign.com) not cheap, but pretty damn awesome and bright too. No chance of knocking them off in a hurry - the rear end of the bike would have to break off first
Can these lights be seen flashing from the side, or only behind?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote