ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #7411
Kirkster
Parts Murderer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of MD
Oddometer: 292
Turn Signal

The Right hand side of my turn signals quit... Loose Bulb???
Left hand side works fine...
__________________
TAT 2013 the "I'm Just Sayin" tour
BMW 2007 R1200R
2012 KTM 690 R
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #7412
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
The Right hand side of my turn signals quit... Loose Bulb???
Left hand side works fine...
Did both the front bulb and rear bulb stop working or just 1?
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #7413
Noyah
poser
 
Noyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
And yet it gets at least a dozen major threads on 'ADV Rider' ... ?

I've probably been too pessimistic about the 690 as an adventure bike - coloured obviously by my own experiences - with enough preparation and testing, individual bikes are no doubt excellent ADV steeds - if I can solve the key issue (oil light), I'll certainly keep taking mine off into the bush and hopefully do the desert run in May ...
Sorry if I missed this info, what year is your bike?
__________________
KTM 690 Enduro R

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #7414
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
And yet it gets at least a dozen major threads on 'ADV Rider' ... ?
So do non street legal bikes, Harley's, sport bikes etc, etc. Imagine that.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #7415
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: on the off road
Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
And yet it gets at least a dozen major threads on 'ADV Rider' ... ?

I've probably been too pessimistic about the 690 as an adventure bike - coloured obviously by my own experiences - with enough preparation and testing, individual bikes are no doubt excellent ADV steeds - if I can solve the key issue (oil light), I'll certainly keep taking mine off into the bush and hopefully do the desert run in May ...
Don't be put off the 690 as an adv steed! with the right farkling it makes an ideal adventure bike. They have their issues but so does every other bike. Mine has been as reliable as anything else I've owned. The days when you ride it hard, dump it in the shed and forget about it till next time are gone with modern bikes (if they every really existed). you need to get on board with regular servicing!

Deep exploration in the bush on your own is not just about bike reliability, what about if you bin it and break something, or worse break yourself? You should have an emergency plan in anycase. If you do ever have a malfunction, then manage it and deal with it.

Enjoy it, ride it, don't sweat it!

PS
I wonder what sort of press the early dual sports would have got it the "whinger net" was around in the 70's
__________________
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures

Night Falcon screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 11:42 AM
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #7416
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba
 
Bill the Bong's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kalahari South Africa
Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
The Right hand side of my turn signals quit... Loose Bulb???
Left hand side works fine...
Maybe check it out...
__________________
KTM 690 R - "Its just a little crush..."
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #7417
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyah View Post
sorry if i missed this info, what year is your bike?
2012 ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #7418
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post

Don't be put off the 690 as an adv steed! with the right farkling it makes an ideal adventure bike. They have their issues but so does every other bike. Mine has been as reliable as anything else I've owned. The days when you ride it hard, dump it in the shed and forget about it till next time are gone with modern bikes (if they every really existed). you need to get on board with regular servicing!

Deep exploration in the bush on your own is not just about bike reliability, what about if you bin it and break something, or worse break yourself? You should have an emergency plan in anycase. If you do ever have a malfunction, then manage it and deal with it.

Enjoy it, ride it, don't sweat it!

PS
I wonder what sort of press the early dual sports would have got it the "whinger net" was around in the 70's
True: but my point was not about things going wrong - which all bikes do and always have - fixing things by the road is a given ...

My point was about the inherant complexity of the 690 - specifically, the fact that noone has yet managed to solve the flickering oil light issue - I was querying whether this sort of complexity is compatible with going bush ...

But the point has been raised and discussed and we can probably move on now ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #7419
lightfighter
where does this go?
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Sierra Vista AZ.
Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post

But the point has been raised and discussed and we can probably move on now ...

whatcha wanna talk about?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #7420
Noyah
poser
 
Noyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 351
Ok, the 12 enduro/smc-r are known to have flashing oil-lights. Bad sensors I belive.

New sensor should sort that out.

__________________
KTM 690 Enduro R

--> My Movies <--

Noyah screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 02:10 PM
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #7421
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrHix's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: MO
Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Ok, the 12 enduro/smc-r are known to have flashing oil-lights. Bad sensors I belive.

New sensor should sort that out.
They do??? I guess I will have to get glasses again, I haven't seen it on mine.

MrHix
MrHix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #7422
Noyah
poser
 
Noyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
They do??? I guess I will have to get glasses again, I haven't seen it on mine.

MrHix
Did I say they all have this problem?
__________________
KTM 690 Enduro R

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #7423
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie
 
BygDaddee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane Northside, OZ
Oddometer: 1,140
690 Fuel Filter

I've been having a look through the standard service schedule from the 2013 690 Enduro and find it odd that cleaning or replacing the fuel filters aren't listed as a standard service item at either, 1000k, 10,000k, or 20,000k. It does mention doing a fuel pressure check so I imagine they are expecting you would pick up any issues from the pressure reading, but I think I'll go with a regular replacement of the screen and filter maybe 5,000k or at least 10,000k.
__________________
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
2013 WR450F(The best bike KTM never built) and KLE500(don't knock it till you try it)

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #7424
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 2,895
I moved my fuel filter to the outside of the tank so I can change it any time it suits ME. Without having to tear half the bike apart.

__________________
Tom
2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger", 2003 525 EXC, 2001 400 EXC
To Think is to Create!
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #7425
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
True: but my point was not about things going wrong - which all bikes do and always have - fixing things by the road is a given ...

My point was about the inherant complexity of the 690 - specifically, the fact that noone has yet managed to solve the flickering oil light issue - I was querying whether this sort of complexity is compatible with going bush ...

But the point has been raised and discussed and we can probably move on now ...

3,000km on the island of Borneo off road going bush enough? Out of 3 bikes, one had fan stop working which turned out to be a poor connection in the fuse box. Other than that some minor issues all fixed with a small toolkit.
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014