sent using my fingers and voodoo magic.
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #7562
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Says right there: " ...richens fuel circuit..." $160-hmmm. Think I'll keep jerkin'

Yea, maybe they changed the description in the year and a half since I questioned it ...

Now that you brought it back up though, I'm curious (with zero need/ desire to purchase one) as to how exactly it "richens fuel circuit"? Mine has been running fine for the last 6k miles (12k on bike) with the EVO1 map. A set of cables to use tuneecu would certainly be cheaper and likely produce better results at all rpm ranges vs the "accelerator module."

aaaaaannnnnnnddddddd..... discuss
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #7563
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Yea, maybe they changed the description in the year and a half since I questioned it ...

Now that you brought it back up though, I'm curious (with zero need/ desire to purchase one) as to how exactly it "richens fuel circuit"? Mine has been running fine for the last 6k miles (12k on bike) with the EVO1 map. A set of cables to use tuneecu would certainly be cheaper and likely produce better results at all rpm ranges vs the "accelerator module."

Agreed, much rather spend a lot less money and get REAL adjustability via TuneECU.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #7564
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Vortex anyone?
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #7565
giuspepp
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
This is my tool kit. But i'm on an RTW.. not on a day trip. Its basically everything I need to take apart most of the bike. Including most of the motor. (calipers and multimeter cus i'm a nerd)

Does the shock tool in the photo work on 690?(i'm refering to this one: http://www.ktm4u.co.uk/new-products/...load-wrench-11)
giuspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #7566
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,217
Not for on the trail. It works out on the bench. I use a tire iron against the frame tube to lever the rings around. Then I lock with a screwdriver smack with crescent wrench. Doesn't need a lot to lock.

Sent from outer space with my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #7567
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
over in the Gspot, they are generally called booster plugs, and they mask the temperature signal with a manipulated lower reading, to which the ECU responds by throwing a richer mixture. really actually pretty noticeable on an R1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post

lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #7568
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Vortex anyone?
The Vortex makes my 690r run a lot stronger but support can be spotty and random. I ordered mine from KTM Twins as I remember. I love them and use them all the time for stuff, but I got a Vortex unit with maps for an open airbox supermoto and I run the stock airbox with a foam filter. I e-mailed Richard in Australia and he said just take some fuel out using the adjustments. Bike ran well but was always tough to start compared to stock ECU. After a year I sent the Vortex to Cali for latest maps and to get maps for my setup and also get the handlebar mounted map switch. For $100 they reflashed the ECU and latest setup has 5 open airbox maps and 5 closed airbox maps. First 5 maps are open airbox. The switch can choose between the first map and any other map. The first map is for open air box! So the switch is useless for me at the moment. I emailed Richard about 3-4 weeks ago and he said he would get right on it and make a map set with any map I would want as first map. I sent him what I wanted,but have heard nothing since then. Going on a month. And then I will have to send the ECU back to California for the reflash. So yeah the bike runs better, but getting the perfect map setup is very frustrating. With TuneECU the bike did not run quite as strong, but started normally and got better gas mileage. For the week in Baja I put the stock ECU back in for the gas mileage. I asked Richard to add an economy map to the Vortex so I could switch between power and economy with the handlebar switch, but still waiting on that, and the bike is still tough to get started even with the latest maps. So I am getting close to just adding the stock ECU back. I don't want to totally trash the support because I am sure these guys are busy and it is prime riding season in Australia. Support has been overall OK both in Australia and California, but I still do not have the map setup I want and do not know when or if I will have that.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #7569
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
The Vortex makes my 690r run a lot stronger but support can be spotty and random.

BIG OLE SNIP

Support has been overall OK both in Australia and California, but I still do not have the map setup I want and do not know when or if I will have that.
Thanks for that summary. My new to me 690ER has the Vortex but I've only ridden it 1 mile. It started easily, and has good power although I need to tame the first third throttle some. (It has a G2 set at the middle setting.) The Vortex is currently set at 3-3-3-1. It was set at that at 600 feet elevation, but I live at 2200 feet. Not sure if that matters or not as the ECU should adjust to elevation changes....no?
'11 WR250R
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #7570
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Hi All

I'm having a poor running problem (has no stored fault codes) feels like fueling to me have swapped out fuel pump but no difference

Question for you all if the fuel injector is playing up is this something that will run poor or is it a non-runner with injector problems

Cheers

Louis
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #7571
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Thanks for that summary. My new to me 690ER has the Vortex but I've only ridden it 1 mile. It started easily, and has good power although I need to tame the first third throttle some. (It has a G2 set at the middle setting.) The Vortex is currently set at 3-3-3-1. It was set at that at 600 feet elevation, but I live at 2200 feet. Not sure if that matters or not as the ECU should adjust to elevation changes....no?
You should see Lo Mid Hi and X10 Markings. X10 denotes the specific map. 5 on the Lo Mid Hi denotes standard fuel trim settings, 3 would be lean. Each trim position equals + or - 2.5 % changes. 3 is the lowest you should go. I would go to 5 on all the trim settings and work from there. You need not compensate for elevation changes.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #7572
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
[QUOTE=Velociraptor;20854166] VORTEX.....and the bike is still tough to get started even with the latest maps. QUOTE]

What is your idle speed? If my idle speed is below 1500RPM, mine is difficult to start. At 1550RPM its OK. I fitted a Trail Tech TTO to my 2011 to monitor this. I also swapped out the adjustment screw to an allen bolt to make external idle speed adjustment easier.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #7573
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuspepp View Post
Does the shock tool in the photo work on 690?(i'm refering to this one: http://www.ktm4u.co.uk/new-products/...load-wrench-11)
Sorry man, I have never used that one.

The KTM wrench I have works on the 690 but you have to flip it and do 1/2 tooth per turn. The KTM wrench actually does not fit very well on the WP preload nut. If you put the RR nut on your shot it both teeth fit perfect.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #7574
giuspepp
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Sorry man, I have never used that one.

The KTM wrench I have works on the 690 but you have to flip it and do 1/2 tooth per turn. The KTM wrench actually does not fit very well on the WP preload nut. If you put the RR nut on your shot it both teeth fit perfect.
ok,thanks
giuspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #7575
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
You should see Lo Mid Hi and X10 Markings. X10 denotes the specific map. 5 on the Lo Mid Hi denotes standard fuel trim settings, 3 would be lean. Each trim position equals + or - 2.5 % changes. 3 is the lowest you should go. I would go to 5 on all the trim settings and work from there. You need not compensate for elevation changes.
Do you still use the stock Map-Select switch?
'11 WR250R